“Redefines B&B Excellence”

Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House
Ranked #3 of 4 Buffalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Finding this near-perfect gem is one of the reasons I love TripAdvisor. Seeing Hanu House as the clear top-rated Buffalo B&B gave me hope that I might avoid a chain or a boutique "wanna be" while overnighting in Buffalo. Wow - what a payoff.

What you need to know is that for any seasoned traveler this is a 5-star experience. As described elsewhere, the decor is eclectic - and to me that can sometimes be less than ideal. Here it works masterfully.

The house flows well and the common areas are amazing. The interplay of rugs, original art, tasteful/functional furniture and the "great bones" of this house work on every level. The placement of mirrors, the massive original doors and trim, the outstanding paint colors, the beds and bedding - all are extraordinary. There have been few times in my (far too) frequent travels that I've wanted to extend my stay just to spend more time in the accommodations - this is among those rare places.

Other pluses include being fairly close to the airport and this must be one of the most interesting and fun parts of Buffalo. One night in the Honu House will change the way you think of Buffalo and of B&Bs - it did for me anyway. I wish I needed to travel more often to Buffalo. Better yet, I wish she would open a chain of Honu Houses in other cities!

Some assorted comments -

The nearby food co-op was a recommendation from the hostess, Karen. We're not ones for overly "crunchy" eating options We skeptically went since it was very close - the food bar in this place is amazing and is not to be missed.

Get her to show you the swivel bookcase on the first floor.

Could there be any bathrooms in ANY B&B or hotel that are as well thought out and artfully decorated? Mixing stained glass windows with clear glass showers and bath tub set in modern concrete on a historic tile floor covered by a killer Persian rug? It sounds heinous but she has made it work in a clean, uncluttered way that makes you marvel.

This is a hostess who must rack her brain sweating every detail for her guests - not in a way that comes off as sterile or staged but instead brings travelers great comfort. Why can't every hotel and B&B be as attentive to details as Karen has been? This experience redefines my expectations for future travel.

If you value sedate locations where there is nothing edgy going on nearby this might be a harder sell for you. I was there with my 5-year old daughter and felt quite safe but my 75-year old mother might be freaked out that passers by have more tattoos and piercings than the norm. The street has terrific coffee shops and eateries and it's a vibe I love. Your mileage may vary.

Speaking of kids, Karen has lots of great children's books (and great books of all sorts) downstairs. And there is a playground across the street. B&Bs are not often very accommodating to kids. I'd say that this one has some pluses in this regard.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank davlon

Reviewed July 27, 2011

A friend searched the web to find this B&B and what a delight it was to stay here!

First of all it does not have a sign, just a house number that is very LARGE, so be sure you have the address when you go. And it is no longer Grey & White, I believe it is an orangy color now. Keep your eyes open. ;0)

The decor in the house is warm and inviting with deep rich colors. Karen is a wonderful hostess... making you feel at home and comfortable right from the first time you meet.

The rooms are large and comfortable. Mine had a separate bath that was wonderful. It has a deep soaking tub which I filled and relaxed in after a day of driving. Although separate it was private just for my room and quick step across the hall.

There is a small wet bar nook upstairs for guests to make tea, store wine or snacks in the fridge that is stocked with lots of cups, glasses, and kitcken tools along with a microwave.

The area is delightful. Lots of restaurants of all different cuisines. A college area with museums near by all within walking distance. Prices are normal reasonable residential area standards, not touristy and high priced.

Hot coffee and warm muffins with fresh fruit are ready as you wake in the morning.

This is a an area of Buffalo I had not seen before that I would highly recommend for a stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to say if you require an ensuite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank cruisinlivin
Reviewed July 14, 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in Buffalo. The Honu House is exactly what I look for in a B&B. It was comfortable, clean and in a perfect location. Karen, the owner, quickly learned of our enthusiasm for the city of Buffalo and offered many good ideas about things we might enjoy. We could walk to many of them because we were in the center of Elmwood Village. One evening we walked to the symphony performing outdoors on Bidwell Parkway, and it was a short ride to Shakespeare in the Park. We looked forward to our morning walks in the beautiful neighborhood. Our room at the Honu House was actually a small attic apartment, complete with kitchen. We chose to make our own breakfast in the morning, an alternative we were glad to have. Our suite was comfortable and very up to date. We hope the Honu House and our special room will be available every time we visit Buffalo.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arlingtontravel
Reviewed April 17, 2011

- Nice and big rooms/suites. Very nice furnishing.
- Friendly and helpful atmosphere.
- Elmwood Village is the nicest neighborhood in Buffalo.
- Fresh pastry for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Travelling with 12 year old son to take in Sabres game and Bills on Sunday. Much less expensive than a hotel with teh freedom to have your own kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. Elmwood village is a little oasis in a big city.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank brianfind
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We visited buffalo from London as our son is on a university exchange trip for a year. We chose Elmwood Village Inn as it is near the college. Elmwood village is lovely and Honu house was a pleasant surprise. The decor is interesting with unusual items from around the globe. The master suite was really comfortable and homely. It had everything that we needed even an ipod docking unit! We were woken each morning with the smell of muffins baking. Karen is a brilliant hostess and recommended some wonderful restaurants for us to try.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet22_10
Reviewed September 27, 2010

A very comfortable home with Karen being a gracious hostess. Our large room was very nice with a jacuzzi, shower and a comfortable bed. Beautiful oriental rugs and interesting furnishings throughout the house. The breakfast was simple and tasty. The location is in a college area with good restaurants within easy walking and a short drive to downtown.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple