“BRRRRRRRRRR COLD!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2009

If you are looking to still feel like you are outside then this is the place. last week had dinner at La Dolce Vita Caffe' & Bistro and it was so cold that my dinner was like I took it out of my frig. I guess if you can eat within 2 min. you would enjoy it but if the owner of the place can't turn the heat on maybe he/ or she shold only open in the summer ! Thank but I will never eat there again food was a 1 star at best !!

1  Thank karen1314

Reviewed September 18, 2009

I ate at la doce vita for the first time about a month ago, and the food was less than average. We got the stuffed peppers which were the worst I have ever had in my life they were stuffed with Spinach (out of a can) and not much else. We had the filo dough appetizer as well, which was also overpowered by this horific tasting spinach. For dinner I had the chicken with portablla mushrooms in a chardonay sauce, which tasted ok but the portion would barely fill up a child. Being the optomist that I am I decided to try this restaurant again, as I live a few blocks away. BIG MISTAKE...it was even worse than the first time. We waited 20 minutes for the waiter to clear off a dirty table so we could sit down. Once seated we waited another 20 minutes for someone to come over and wait on us. Once we were done waiting we were served by two waitresses (one was dumber than the next). We ordered the bruscett, which was very good, but took about 40 minutes to get. You get soup or salad with your dinner, so I tried the soup of the day which was bbq bean and bacon. The beans and baco were no where to be found in my soup. I had, what tasted like warm watered down bbq sauce, so I asked the waitress if I could have a house salad instead. And she brought me their version of a salad......lettuce....and half a cucumber slice. I'm not one to complain so I thought I'd just suck it up and eat it.....until I tasted the blue cheese dressing which had gone bad. When the waitress came back and asked if I was finished with my salad (which I took one bite of) I said yes.....she didn't even think to ask why I hadn't ate any of it. Then our dinner comes, I ordered the veal special which was $20.00. It was supposed to be veal rollups with capicolla and red peppers in the middle served with risotto and veggies. What I got was one piece of veal cut in half to make "rollups". The veal was good but I have gotten larger portions at the taste of Buffalo. The risotto and the veggies were ok, but still very small portions. My friend orded the pasta concetta $19.95 which had 3 shrimp (cocktail sized that curly up to be the size of a qurter when cooked) 2 sea scallops(the small ones) A complete rip off!!!! We were also served flat pop! When we told the waitress that we thought things were horrible she said sorry and "I'll be right back with your bill". She never asked us what was wrong or if there was anything she could do. I live off hertel avenue, so I eat there often. Go anywhere else on hertel avenue and I gurantee you will have better food and service.

2  Thank katietirado
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The Greek Vegetable soup was spinach and boullion (no veggies noticeable). The Cutlet I had was in a steam table for awhile since the breading on it was moist and falling off. Definately not freshly made. Of course since the soup had Spinach in it, guess the vegetable on the plate had to also be spinach (stands to reason). The starch choice was potato, must have been gormet since you only had 2 spoonsfull on your plate.
We had reservations and were seated blocking the restroom. Our guests had to get up every time someone need to go. Service was slow and we were told since we were ten people we needed to wait for all the groups of four persons had to be served first even tho we were there 1/2 hour earlier then them.

2  Thank Grimple
A TripAdvisor Member
Buffalo
Reviewed August 11, 2005

This restaurant has excellent food, great service and reasonable prices. I have found every time I go there a wonderful old world ambiance that is not pretentious like so many Buffalo restaurants that does not have either La Dolce's food or service. A great place to eat dinner and actually RELAX both inside and outside. I often go there for lunch where I have a fine Italian dish , gelato ice cream and a beverage for about $11. Just incredible!!! It is one of the reasons that this area of Hertel is the "new Elmwood" and without the drunkenness of Chippewa. A great place to bring a date or the whole family. I have found a little table in the back just the best when I want to have a romantic evening. Mamma Maria's home made cookies are great as is the home made bread. The chef is one of the most talented in the area with distinctive Italian sauce. The word is spreading so make RESERVATIONS especially on Friday and Saturday.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member