“Chasing Waterfalls-Serenity Falls, Forest Lawn Cemetary”
Review of Forest Lawn

Forest Lawn
Ranked #2 of 159 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: As one of the first rural cemeteries in the United States, Forest Lawn – located in Buffalo, NY – is at the heart of Western New York’s cultural tourism renaissance. Its first interment took place in 1849; today there are more than 161,000 permanent residents in this 269-acre, non-denominational, non-sectarian, not-for-profit cemetery. Forest Lawn offers year-round guided tours on various themes and subjects, educational programming,special veteran programming and so much more. Forest Lawn is the only local full-service cemetery for traditional and cremation arrangements listed on the State and National Registries of Historic Places.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Buffalo's Forest Lawn Cemetery is a Mecca for tourists. It is large, well-kept, and beautiful. There are incredible monuments (including a Frank Lloyd Wright design), a spring, and a small lake. I, however usually go to see the very small Serenity Falls. It is the first of the chain of waterfalls on the Onondaga Escarpment. It is the only falls I know of on Scajaquaga Creek The falls is located just downstream of the tunnel under Main Street where the creek emerges. It is a series of small cascades. Part of the falls can be viewed from a bridge in the cemetery.

1  Thank Marcia B
sstarks, Manager at Forest Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

That you for your post Marcia. I just posted some photos of Serenity Falls and Scajaquada Creek for our viewers to enjoy. It is exciting to go there after a heavy rain. As the waters flow through the cemetery, the wildlife loves to frolic in the stream. I have seen egrets, blue heron, geese and of course, ducks. Other bodies of water include Mirror Lake and Jubilee Springs.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have been considering attending the Christmas program at Forest Lawn for a couple years, and I am so glad I finally did! History came alive through the professional actors and actresses who portrayed some of the famous people buried in this cemetery. I grew up in the area, and I learned so much about my own special city! I also enjoyed the singing which accompanied the stories, and what great voices! It was a nice touch, too, to include hot cider before the performance. Great job!

1  Thank skiergirlBuffalo
sstarks, Manager at Forest Lawn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

I am so happy you enjoyed this production. It is quickly becoming a Christmas classic in our region.
It gently reminds us all to appreciate the blessings in the life we live. We hope to present this again in 2014. In the meantime enjoy YOUR wonderful life!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The play, It was a wonderful Life at forest Lawn was excellent!! Great history of famous people buried at Forest Lawn and wonderful Chirstmas music. Takes place in the chapel..very cozy.... Will go back again next year!!

This play does get you into the Holiday "spirit"... excuse the pun. The beautifully decorated chapel and a sip warm cider helps too. See you next year.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Tours here are worth it or self guided - take a walk or a run - many famous people buried here, some just a lovely story. Much can be learned about history of United States, New York , buffalo and life by visiting this fascinating cometary

1  Thank Pecpmc
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is such a wonderful tour. I am sorry that it took me so long to do it. There are so many famous people buried here and their stories "come alive" through the actors who appear to tell their stories. I have lived in Buffalo my entire life and I cannot say enough about this tour. The grounds are so beautiful and well maintained. Tours are available only on Sundays during the late spring, summer and early fall.

We hear that all the time taxmammy. I think taking a tour of Forest Lawn is on many bucket lists. Please come back and take one of our many other tours that we will be offering this summer and fall. And if you are into birding, Forest Lawn is THE place to be this spring.

Been to Forest Lawn? Share your experiences!