“A wonderful (yes wonderful) place to spend a Sunday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Lawn

Forest Lawn
Ranked #2 of 150 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: As one of the first rural cemeteries in the United States, Forest Lawn – located in Buffalo, NY – is at the heart of Western New York’s cultural tourism renaissance. Its first interment took place in 1849; today there are more than 161,000 permanent residents in this 269-acre, non-denominational, non-sectarian, not-for-profit cemetery. Forest Lawn offers year-round guided tours on various themes and subjects, educational programming,special veteran programming and so much more. Forest Lawn is the only local full-service cemetery for traditional and cremation arrangements listed on the State and National Registries of Historic Places.
Williamsville, New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A wonderful (yes wonderful) place to spend a Sunday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Despite the fact that this is a cemetery, Forest Lawn offers much more than a gloomy place. There are many important and well known people buried in this cemetery and there are tours offered that are both imaginative and creative that take you to these burial sites. Actors dress up as characters and meet your trolley (or walking tour) and then offer a talk about the history of the deceased person. Very informative and enjoyable. There are also other tours, along with beautiful areas to bike and walk. If you are around during the summer, don't miss the tours. If you want to take a nice walk any other time, go to Forest Lawn Cemetery.

Visited July 2012

• Indonesian first
Grand Island, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Wonderful restful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We go quite often take peaceful rides through the cemetery. We always take guests and neighbors for visits. It is a treat to point out the many famous people buried in this excellent resting place.The commercial tours through are quite a special treat

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kathryn B
Port Colborne, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“It's A Cemetery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's a cemetery. It's a very nice cemetery. I don't really know what to say about a cemetery. It's not a very lively place. Sorry. Couldn't resist. It is a lovely piece of land, and very large. You can easily get a map and navigate through it. I'm a history buff and I really visited for only one purpose - to see the gravesite of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States (from 1850-1853.) Somehow I expected the grave of a former president to be a little more noteworthy. There's a flag flying by the family plot, and a plaque erected (although not until the 1930's, testimony to the fact that Fillmore is one of those rather anonymous 19th century presidents who don't get mentioned very much.) Basically, it's a very nice cemetery - but it is a cemetery.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Steven D
West Seneca, New York
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Spectacular in all seasons...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Doing a self-guided tour on a glorious fall day in October, helped me reflect on the amazing past of Buffalo and some of the people who built our history and are buried in Forest Lawn. The monuments are art! Blocher for one-dedicated to a son's broken heart-as his grief-stricken life size parents look down on the deceased, beloved son, all encased in glass. President McKinley, once mayor of Buffalo and assassinated here in Buffalo, Redjacket, the famous Indian chief, to Rick James, our own King of Funk (to name a very few)-gives you an idea of the rather eclectic array of people buried here. Frank Lloyd Wright's BLUE SKY Mausoleum is situated along one of the various water features-a bit hidden and worth the search on these beautiful grounds. There are mausoleums galore, beautiful touching memorials and beautifully maintained grounds-spectacular in all seasons.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank rbrfan
sstarks, Manager at Forest Lawn, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Yes, Forest Lawn is full of brilliant color this time of year. With over 3600 trees it is aperfect place to enjoy autumn. Children have been collecting leaves, chestnuts and pinecones on their field trip walks.

I have to make one correction. President McKinley was not mayor of Buffalo ( that was Grover Cleveland) and is not buried at Forest Lawn. We have the 13th president, Millard Fillmore. Buried with him are his two wives Caroline and Abigail, his two children, Mary Abigail and Millard Powers. Next to Millard's gravesite are his two law partners Haven and Hall. We call that section of the cemetery our own Capital Hill!
Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Beautiful...Just Beautiful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

During my visit back to Buffalo, my aunt brought me here to have a look. My mother has talked about this place ever since she was a little girl so I figured I better go and check it out and see what has had her intrigued for so many years.

All I can say is WOW!!! As soon as we drove in I knew this was not just your ordinary "cemetery". I have never seen such an old but stunningly beautiful & well preserved cemetery in my life!! Old marble stones, statues, sculptures, rivers, ponds, ducks, big huge trees, rolling hills, you name it!! I felt like I was in a very old 1800s park forest and museum all rolled into one; definitely not a cemetery!! We don't have anything like this on the west coast!

On my next trip back to Buffalo I plan on coming back here and doing the long tour. An hour was just not enough time for me to see it all.

Visited September 2012

Been to Forest Lawn? Share your experiences!