“Interesting old building, so-so food”

Gabriel's Gate Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 1,101 Restaurants in Buffalo
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ate lunch here after a trip to the Albright-Knox art gallery at my daughter's request when visiting from out of town. She had good memories of eating here previously. The historic building is interesting with it's tin ceiling and rustic woodwork. We ordered clam chowder and a beef on week, both of which were just OK. The beef tasted OK, but had pieces of chewy beef that had to be taken out of the sandwich. Clam chowder had a thin broth, but was mostly chocked full of potatoes and not many clams. Service was efficient but not friendly.
There are probably better places to eat in the area.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were looking for aithentic wings and picked Gabriel's Gate because I came there ten years back and remembered it was a great place. Well, ten years later did not disappoint. The wings are the best, and we loved the potato skins. The service was also very attentive. Also, the ambiance is unique, a lot of antiqie objects that are beautiful. Will go back next time we're in Buffalo.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Well, I must say I was so disappointed with this restaurant. My recommendation to you is turn around and find any other place. It came highly recommended by the hotel we were staying at for its wings. Well, one would expect a ton of wings cooked in a variety of different ways...first warning bell. Well, the next is we had requested a reservation for three families and unfortunately they were unable to tell us whether they could accommodate our party....yes or no is all we expected! As we walked up to the restaurant my teenage son was questioning our restaurant choice. There was no street appeal, actually it was a tad questionable from the outside. The experience was as my teenage son predicted...sketchy with lousy service and crappy food. It was such a bad experience we asked for the manager who was not cordial in fact a tad standoffish. I can not believe they had the nerve to add a gratuity on top of our bill. I have no issues rewarding great service even good service but when both the service and food was the worst ever. I'm sorry, how can you even think I am going to leave you more then the monumental $0.02. Please go anywhere but here. Yeah the guys liked the wings but lets be honest how hard is it to add Franks hot sauce to cooked wings... nothing out of the ordinary. The ladies had sandwiches that lacked flavour...I had to check to see if I was actually eating chicken or was it cardboard. I would recommend you check out the Pearl Street Bar or even the faithful TGIFridays but will not recommend this restaurant

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had this restaurant recommended by the staff at our hotel as having the best wings in Buffalo. I should have know when I called to make a reservation for our party of 10 ( 5 adults 5 teenagers) when they said they could "probably " take us!!!?? When we arrived they had a table for us in the back solarium which on a weekend when the humidex was reaching 40 degrees celicus was an OVEN! Upon seeing many empty tables on the patio we asked if possible we could sit outside because of the heat in this room. A deep sigh and an eye roll later they were putting 2 tables together on the patio. We were 3 families traveling together and we asked the waitress if we could have 3 separate bills. She told us she was unable to do that. We also asked the guy who seated us if we could have a towel to dry off the chairs as they were wet ( we were going to do this ourselves) another deep sigh and eye roll and we got some napkins. Our water was never refilled, one of the boys got the wrong order and she argued with him that it was correct because that is what she wrote down. To be fair, the men who ordered wings said they were really good. The ladies who all order some type of sandwich were not impressed. The chips they put on the side were stale and I think the same ones that were 2 for $5 at Topps. The boys had ordered 2 orders of fries to go with their wings. The same happy go lucky guy who seated us came out with the baskets and stood there and said snarkily "where do these go?" Seriously??? We felt very unwelcome at Gabriel's Gate. When the bill came there was already a gratuity on it. Way more than what we would have left for this brutal service. We spoke with the manager and she separated our bills for us and took off some of the drinks we had ordered. This was appreciated, but it felt as though it was to placate us to get us out. Will never visit this establishment again and will never recommend to friends no matter how good the wings are.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is an excellent place to have a drink and get some food. The atmosphere is awesome and the food is excellent.