“Great bartender”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We came upon this place having gotten over the border way early for a performance at Shea's. We walked in at 4:20 without a reservation albeit, and were offered room at the bar which was fine with us. We order drinks and food at the same time; soup, crab cakes, a pasta dish and the fish special. An hour and 10 min later all four plates were plunked in front of us! For the location one would assume they are used to high volume, time sensitive clientele; the wait staff did not appear flustered but the kitchen clearly could not manage. Everything tasted quite bland, while the pasta was fresh the sauce tasted canned, there was just a lack of seasoning on the fish and the rice it came with was just over cooked plain long grain. While our bartender was lovely, I would not return here again.

2  Thank Kali W

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We went to the Bijou prior to a performance at Sheas last June... Main Street was blocked & access was impossible. The restaurany was WAY overbooked & service was ridiculously slow. So, when one of our group suggested the Bijou for this past Friday, I was very skeptical... I called first and was assurred that the overbooking situation was an anomoly! Not so! Our reservation was for 6:00 and we were sure to be early... there weren't many people in the place, and fairly quickly placed our drink order. Then the waitress disappeared, to only be seen flying around the restaurant, and talking to the women next to us (she seemed to know them, and needless to see rhey got their drinks & food in good time)...not so us.at approximately 6:40, one of our 3 soup orders was brought to the table by a busboy... we asked about our drinks. About 5 min. later, our waitress finally returned & said "what were your drink orders, I forgot to put them in?" We reordered, and then perhaps 10 min. later (so around 6:50 the waitress came back to me and said the entree I had ordered without onions could not be made that way & started to walk away... I said "I can't eat that, I'm allergic to onions". She looked back to me and was like "oh, well what did you want to do, do you want a menu?" I said I did if the food could be made in time, ordering a Margaherita Flatbread pizza. My 2 companions food finally came at about 7:00 & I was told mine was 2 min. behind. At 7:15 I told them to cancel my order and bring us the check. My friend gave me 1 of her 2 Pulled Pork Sliders, With the check came my Pizza "at no charge". I said they might as well give it to someone as I didn't have time to eat it.
For the first time in my life I didn't leave a tip, and I am usually at least a 20% tipper. As we were leaving the restaurant, the people in a nearby booth said "well, enjoy the show". We chatted very briefly... it turned out they had a 6:00 reservation... it was now 7:30 & they had no food!!!
The food was tasteless when it did come!!
Never eever AGAIN!!

4  Thank NelliBli
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had eaten here many times in the past and enjoyed it. Hence, why the return visit. It will be our last. Made reservations weeks in advance for 5:45 due the play at Shea's and a Sabres Game. After being seated, where too many tables had been placed, we waited 15 minutes for anyone to come to our table. After mentioning the delay to the hostess, a waiter came by to say he would be with us in a few minutes. After placing our full order it took an inordinate amount of time to receive our drinks, which the hostess brought with apologies. Then the real waiting began. To make a long story short, we left after being in the restaurant for 1 hour, watching others who came in after us, eating their meals. Give credit to the hostess who said "We are very busy and you should expect this on a busy night." Sorry, customers should expect to be ignored! I think not!

2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Bijou Grille has a new look! The oft times "eclectic" labeled Bijou has been simplified. The restaurant has a fresh new color that offers clean, simple lines and a more contemporary look . It's Purple-hued interior now blends nicely with the Bijou's signature Magenta accented stained glass lighting.

Wall art has been reorganized and updated to include a roaring twenties, Coco Chanel look that accents the Bijou theme. The grand mural of 'Singing In The Rain' cast members Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor still graces the lounge area greeting guests as they arrive. Show posters - reflecting the Theatre District - are positioned throughout the dining and lounge area.

Above the restaurant the Bijou reveals a spacious banquet room for larger groups and private functions. The banquet area can host 80 seated guests or 100 revelers for cocktails.

Executive Chef Mike Greco has unveiled Bijou Grille's 'California Bistro Dining' menu for the 2013-14 Theatre Season.

I sampled the new menu at 'Curtain Up' and left - very, very satiated.

I ordered the Roasted Red Pepper soup which was cup size, reasonably priced and had a robust flavor and nicely thick consistency. It was served hot and was a great start to my meal.

From the specials menu I ordered a Pan Seared Filet Mignon topped with Shrimp Etouffee. I'm 'very' particular about meat temps and was pleased when I received an excellent medium-rare filet that quite literally cut like butter. The etouffee added a nice Creole seafood flavor and texture that paired well with my steak. I enjoyed the sides of roasted Brussels Sprouts and Red Potatoes as well. The dish was simple and elegant.

I was happy to see that one of my favorite desserts - Strawberries & Cream - was still on the dessert menu. It's described simply as 'white cake, with fresh strawberries & whipped cream frosting' but I feel obliged to describe it as a slice of heaven. For me the very light, barely sweet, whipped frosting does the trick. It's so, so good.

To balance out my dining experience I ordered a signature coffee drink - Bijou Coffee - made with Courvoisier Cognac, coffee and a whipped cream float.

Despite the very busy night, the food was delicious and the service attentive. It's so nice to see the new - Bijou Grille.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went to this restaurant prior to a performance at Shea's. We had been here before and the food was very good...Tonight not so much. We ordered appetizers first. I ordered a "Mexican trio dip". Flavors were average, (cheese dip very thin, guacamole frozen product). Before I was even 1/4 of the way through the appetizer our entrees were placed at the table. My lemon and asparagus shrimp over spinach fettucini had 5 lovely large prawns, but for some unknown reason there were cooked green beans thrown over the top...ruining the delicate flavors of the lemon, caper and asparagus. Also it was poorly seasoned, needing both salt and pepper. Service was poor-fair. The very busy server never asked us about the quality of the food, and after rushing to serve us left us almost 30 minutes after we were finished for our check.