“Good food, but noisy and overpriced.”
Review of Osteria 166

Osteria 166
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria 166 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,068 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We went with our two children and we all enjoyed our meals. However, the prices - for what you get - are way too high. It was close to $200 and we didn't get anything fancy. The seafood was also very skimpy on the caesar salads we ordered. The wine was ok - but $57 for an $18 bottle in stores is a little steep of a markup. Also, didn't like the fact that we were forced to park in a pay lot on a Saturday night, but oh well. This place is good for grabbing some drinks and apps before a game/concert, but there are better options for dinner for sure.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The food was very good. The restaurant was a little loud, but it was a rainy Saturday night and packed. I would suggest reservations. We loved the bread and the oil/spice/cheese combination for dipping. I have the whitefish and pasta combination it was amazing. You can tell that the pasta is made fresh. The octopus on the salad was very sparse, the owner came by to make sure that we liked it and he brought more fresh octopus which was very accommodating. Our waiter was also great, we were celebrating my brothers birthday and he brought us some cannoli to go, it was also perfect, not too sweet!
The only complaint I had that the hostess was rude and rarely cracked a smile.

1  Thank BethM20132013
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We tried one more time to get into the "fancy" Italian restaurant near our hotel ... thank goodness it was already booked, because we came here instead! A friend says Buffalonians eat out more than us Houstonians, and now I see why. Owner Nick comes by the table to say hello, all part of the welcoming atmosphere that makes this the place to see and be seen in trendy downtown. Nice small plates, pasta dishes, pizzas (yum!) and wine. If we lived here, we'd be here all the time! There's even an outdoor patio and often live music, the bar scene looks pretty hot, too.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

On our way to New England, we stopped here for a lovely dinner. Fresh bread and olive oil dip to supplement our evening cocktail, then for me a FARRO & GRILLED SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD that includes field greens, ancient grains, asparagus, zucchini, roasted sweet pepper with First Light Dairy Feta and sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. Very healthy, I believe. At least, I thought it tasted like it.

Next came the entreés: EGGPLANT & SUN-DRIED TOMATO RAVIOLI for my wife, which is ravioli stuffed with roasted eggplant, Ricotta cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto, topped with crushed tomato marinara and eggplant caponatta. She drooled with every bite.
For me, CHICKEN LASAGNA Layered with three cheeses, chicken fillets, tomatoes and sauteed mushrooms in a Parmigiano cream sauce. It’s a good thing we hadn’t had much to eat during our 500 mile trip from Cincinnati to Buffalo, because this was AWESOME! And, I ate the whole thing. Well, almost the whole thing. My wife sampled a bit and loved it as much as I did. I also left a bite on the plate just to convince myself that I wasn’t a glutton, a small price to pay for a delicious end to the day.
We give Osteria 166 two thumbs up and will be back for more. Kendra and Nick have outdone themselves with this delicious adventure they've created.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

From the other reviews I read on trip advisor and other websites we had higher expectations. We ordered the bacatini cabonara and the veal Parmesan. The carbonara could have been hotter and a bit more flavorful. The veal was good, not just the typical pounded thin piece that's all breading, but the pasta was overcooked and therefore a bit mushy. We had the mozzarella and bread app and also a meatball. My companion liked the meatball I'm not a meatball fan so I dont have an opinion. We also ordered the barrata and charred breads it was a generous portion and was ok, again just lacking in flavor a bit. The service was very good, attentive and timely. My only suggestion there as it would be for all servers is that if the women at the table presents her credit card and has the bill next to her that it be brought back to her and not the gentlemen at the table. Overall I would say this restaurant is average at best for an Italian restaurant. Good service, food lacking in flavor.

1  Thank luvtotravel008