“nothing special here”

Cuisines: Mexican
Toronto, Canada
“nothing special here”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Now that there are reality tv shows about how restaurants "should" be run............I hope they take some of the advice. Both the tables and the menus were sticky, the covered seating in a few of the booths were in major disrepair. The rest of the ambiance was totally predictable with sombreros, and Mexican art.......quaint.
The food was nothing special. It did arrive nice and hot. I had the 3 enchiladas, the sauce was a white cheese that was very tasty and complimented the corn tortilla wrapped enchilada. The entree was accompanied by a salad and rice. The rice tasted old. My husband chose a chicken breast entrée that came with refried beans. The chicken breast was flat; about the thickness of cardboard. I love refried beans, was disappointed that my meal did not come with them.....On that note, the refried beans that were on his plate were not very good. They were very watery and definitely not made fresh. I had a margarita, not the best I have ever had, but it did pack a punch. All it really was, was a lime slushy with alcohol added. Portion sizes of food was much smaller than what I have usually had from a Mexican establishment.
I might go back when in the area......only if I happen to have a huge craving for the gringo experience. To rate this restaurant I can only say......nothing special and par for the course in what I expected in a Mexican restaurant.

• Visited September 2013

Been to El Palenque? Share your experiences!