“One of the few German restaurants around”

Scharf's Schiller Park Restaurant
Cuisines: American, German, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The best in home-cooked German and American food. We also serve a great fish fry and other seafood, gluten-free, vegetarian choices and offer a kids menu. We have 6 Deutsch Biers on tap and several more in bottles as well as the usual Domestic and Canadian brews. We also offer 5 Wines from there and several others. Scharf's has a full liquor license. We bottle our home-made German House Salad Dressing. We offer catering for private parties and office parties. In-house parties are also welcome. Potato Pancakes are our claim to fame, hand-grated and mixed on site, using graters imported from the old country. Rouladen, Sauerbraten, and Schnitzels are on the menu, besides Roast Pork and more. On the American side, we have Roast Beef (dinners), Fried Chicken, Pork Chops and more. Our fish can be served breaded, battered or broiled. We also have Yellow Pike! Serving Buffalo since 1967. Patio open in season. Bar open Saturdays and Sundays at noon (limited menu available).
buffalo
“One of the few German restaurants around”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place has gone downhill over the years. I ordered the roast pork with red cabbage and german potato salad. It was good, our server was adequate but argumentative. Don't want to argue with my server. There is another restaurant closer to home. It's more expensive but the food is much better

• Visited October 2013

Port Elgin
“Food was average”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Friends had raved about this restaurant and they decided when we visited Buffalo we would all go there to eat. My husband and I have eaten at many restaurants and found the food at this place to be average. I had the bratwurst sausage and it was good, sauerkraut had a different taste and mashed potatoes were ok. My husband had the beef and he said it was average. The potato pancakes were very good. The spaetzle was very good but salty. Value is reasonable. Staff were very friendly and the owner welcoming.

• Visited September 2013
Hamburg, New York
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went on a Friday evening....haven't been there in years. Recent publicity about this place indicated that it was on the verge of closing.....if the prices are an indication....then I can understand why. Food was just okay.....and the cost was not. I had sauerbraten...obviously made during the week. Husband had the Schnitzel...again...not fresh. Salad from a plastic bag with minimal dressing. And the pie...YUCK!!!! Definitely will not go again!!!!

• Visited March 2013
GeraldScharf, Owner at Scharf's Schiller Park Restaurant, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your recent visit to Scharf's. We take great pride in our food and would like a chance to win you back. I'm not sure if you realize that the Sauerbraten must be cooked ahead of time. I don't think you have 3.5 hours to wait for your meal. The Schnitzels are brought in fresh weekly, I'm sorry your husband didn't enjoy it. The pricing doesn't make us millionaires, in fact we operate basically at break even. Check out Black Forest Adler, Prosit, or Ullrich's and let me know if we are over priced. Our pies are all homemade by family members, again I'm sorry you didn't like it. What type was it? Salad from "plastic bag" is to guarantee freshness and eliminate waste. If you ever do return, please ask for me, I'd like a chance to make it up to you. It is always better, if you are not satisfied, to ask to see me. I'd rather address any issues in person, rather than by messages on the computer. We don't often get any complaints, we nearly went out of business and WNYs response is what saved us, so we must have done something right in the past 45 years!
Buffalo, New York
“a bit dissapointing”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I had not been here in some months......recent Friday fish fry seemed pre-cooked......soft like it was reheated in the microwave. Potato pancakes were good, but not great. Too thick. German potato salad had a nice flavor, but seemed almost mashed. Pullaner beer on draught was great and only $3.75....a dollar off special on a Friday. Price is right for food, better to charge a bit more and raise quality. Restaurant is in a sketchy part of time, but perfectly safe, if not hard to find.

• Visited March 2013
GeraldScharf, Owner at Scharf's Schiller Park Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thanks for your review of Scharf's. It is always good to know our shortcomings. Sometimes when things are as busy as the night that you were in, things slip through the cracks. Please rest assured that your findings will be addressed. I already know what caused you fish to be soggy, and will address it. We NEVER reheat or hold fish in the oven. There are other factors that would cause it to come out the way you said. Our pancakes start out thin in the pan, but sometimes tend to rise a bit when cooked. Thanks again for your comments and know that we couldn't survive for 45 years on poor quality. Our many regulars can attest to that. Please consider it an off night and try us again. I'm sure you won''t be disappointed! I'll even throw in an appetizer of 2 pancakes for you, on me!
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“BAD”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The place was very nice atmosphere but the food was absolutely the worse I have ever had. The Schnitzel was frozen processed, the salad was from a bag, the potato pancakes were burned. I would NOT recommend this to anyone.

• Visited August 2012