“Just don't get it”

Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Crowded, noisy and the food is mediocre at best. I just don't get the fascination for this place. You get better bang for your buck next door at Mr. Goodbar for the beer experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family of 4 were visiting Buffalo this past weekend and based on reviews on TA, decided to pay it a visit. I had been there years ago with girlfriends and thought it was very average, but decided to give it a go again.
We waited quite a while for anyone to come to our table. The food took a really long time to come out and not once did our server come over to check in and see how we were doing or explain that our food would be out shortly etc. By the time it arrived, it was obvious my eggs benedict had been sitting a while. The homefries were so cold that I couldn't eat them. The other 3 meals were average at best. Again, our server never stopped in until we were done our meal. At that stage she offered to bring some homefries out, but too little too late. She said "sorry" and dropped the bill on our table. There are lots of great restaurants in Buffalo (The Vietnamese/Thai restaurant right next door is excellent BTW) so I wouldn't bother wasting your time and money here.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have to admit that I thought Cole's was going to be an over-priced college bar for frat guys who eat, I don't know, whatever bros eat and drink Labatt, but it turns out that it's actually an awesome little bar and restaurant with great food. I've tried several of their sandwiches and they've all been tasty. The crispy fries are perfect, too. The burgers are what they're known for and they look great, but they're also gigantic and I have not yet endeavored to try one. It's usually a little loud inside, but the outside seating is cool, and there is plenty of space if you go during non-peak hours. I almost forgot—the beer list! Great selection of craft beer. Mmmmmm.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This restaurant has been around for ever. They also have consistently served good food and a solid bar business, although I think that their other properties do a better job, like Brennan's and Blue Monk in the food department.

The problem I have with Coles is the rather slow service. We waited over 45 minutes for appetizers and were at one hour for our food order, which was rather simple bar food. The food was good. The issue is waiting that long for food with no explanation from our server and no offer for any consideration. If I had not been with family, I would have walked out.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Wife and I always have at least one or two meals at Coles when we visit Buffalo. Warm and cozy inside (ancient wood panelling and fireplace), inviting patio outside on fascinating Elmwood Avenue: welcoming in any season. Food has always been excellent but for two or three recent years, we had sensed slippage in some areas: lackadasical hostesses, servers with a bit too much attitude, that sort of thing. I am happy to report that things now seem back to "normal" at good old Coles: hostess on the alert, servers eager to please, bussers with ice water at your table even before you're fully seated. And the food as good as ever. Friday Fish Fry was excellent, better than the "Fish and Chips" on offer other days, though they, too, were well above average. Burgers at Coles are famous. I usually go for the Black and Blue Burger but this time the Lamb Burger was on special offer paired with a pint of beer, so I went with the lamb and it was superb. Coles is happy to cook your burger exactly the way you want it, from bloody to welldone, and consistently presents it as requested.

This is a spot that justifiably prides itself on a wide range of draft and bottled beers. If I were a local regular, though, I might like to have at least one or two draft beers--"house beers", if you will--at a bit less than the $6/pint that seems to be the cheapest currently on offer. A small complaint about an overall memorable spot. And hey, given the quality, the food prices are most reasonable.