“Boring Review”

Ranked #8 of 1,064 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My appologies to Trip Advisor. I don't have any colorful explatives to describe the Anchor bar.

Decor is a bit dated but that is part of the charm

Food is great

Service is great

Prices are reasonable

Just go!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

hey - its a legend so if your in Buffalo you have to try at least once. was with a group and we were promptly seated. service was quite prompt. decent bar menu - lots of fried food but also a decent selection of other things (fairly extensive Italian offering, steak, salads, etc.). prices were pretty good. needless to say many in our group got wings that were well received. would go here again for a low key meal or beverage

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Busy as always on our visit but the wings can't be beat. Everything being brought out of the kitchen looks like something I want to try

1  Thank portwhitby79
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have lived in the Niagara area in Canada all my life but had never made it to the Anchor Bar. We had tickets to a Sabres game so my husband and I thought that we would give our children the full Buffalo experience before the game. We told them about Anchor Bar and about its historic significance because it is the place that invented Buffalo Wings. We were all very excited. The excitement quickly ended. We ordered the Antipasto Salad as an appetizer. Just as my daughter was about to take her first bite of the egg, she noticed hair on it, multiple hairs actually. The waitress was very kind and offered to provide us with another. We kindly refused as our appetites for this were ruined and we waited for the pizza and wings. When the our cheese and "pepperoni" pizza arrived, we quickly discovered that there was no pepperoni on it. Again the waitress offered to return it to the kitchen to fix this but we were worried about our timing for the game so we chose to eat the cheese pizza. The pizza was not fully cut into slices, it was very difficult to separate the pieces and when we didn't manage to isolate one, a giant mound of cheese slid right off and onto the pizza tray, leaving us with crust and sauce. The crust is so thin that it cannot support the weight of the toppings. It is so flimsy, you cannot even pick it up to eat it by hand.

If the food issues were not enough, I commented partially through the meal to my husband that I smelled cigarette smoke. He assured me that there is no smoking in the restaurant. He was absolutely right, however upon leaving we realized that smokers had gathered directly outside the emergency exit door that we were sitting near. The smell wafts right in.

To the restaurant's defense, they did not charge us for 10 of our wings but that is not enough incentive to convince us to return. There are much better places for pizza and wings in Buffalo at much better prices. Don't get sucked in to the hype. Washington Square is a much better option for a pre-game restaurant.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Small dining area, worth the wait. I now live in the midwest and I miss the Buffalo food! There is a passion that is in Buffalo for food, you can sit at a table and argue about the best wings or pizza for hours.....there are a quite a few great wing, pizza and hot dog joints in Buffalo!

Been to Anchor Bar? Share your experiences!