“Wings”

Ranked #7 of 1,059 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was solo and ate at the bar. The bar staff were friendly and helpful. The wings were very crisp, medium sauce did not have any heat.

There are newer reviews for Anchor Bar

Reviewed November 20, 2012

When I travel, about 100 airplanes a year, I like to focus on local favorites. Lump crab in Maryland, PO boys in New Orleans, and in Buffalo, that means wings. Despite all my travels I hadn't had the pleasure of doing wings in Buffalo before. So when I finally spent a night there I told my local rep we needed to do wings. We hit the Anchor Bar downtown. What surprised me was how reasonable the prices were for a place with a reputation. Twenty and change bought me 10 wings, a LARGE ceasar salad and a couple beers, including tip.

I chose the medium sauce and would try spicy next time. I found the medium to be mild, but still with a slight afterburn if you rubbed your wing in the sauce that pooled in the bottom of the dish. The wings were done just right, cooked well but not overdone with just the right chew to the skin. The salad was fresh and quite enjoyable but not really a ceasar. More like a dinner salad with a light, garlicky italian. We ate at the bar, very relaxed atmosphere with plenty of screens to track sports news and whatever.

I'm sure there are other great local places that are smaller and less well known. But this was a great stop and I do recommend.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you are in Buffalo this restaurant is a must. The restaurant is decorated very well, the walls are filled with plaques and prints. We ate the famous chicken wings, and they are really good! Even the sauce is offering an alternative. The only drawback are the other dishes. If you go eat only chicken wings, sandwiches are bad. Although it is a popular place, it's cheap, value for money is good!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We HAD to try it out during our last cross border trip and the food didn't disappoint! My husband and I were seated towards the back of the restaurant near the band, the restaurant/bar was pretty busy, but we were seated right away. We ordered the hot wings and a pizza. I ordered a red wine (chianti) with my dinner and my husband had beer (because it goes well with wings:) My wine tasted like vinegar, so I told the server and got a beer instead. The service was just okay, the food came out pretty quickly considering they were busy. The wings were crispy on the outside juicy and meaty on the inside; Very Yummy! and very big wings! The only thing is if you like really hot wings (we do) these ones weren't hot at all..more like a medium..so order the suicide! The pizza was also very good! Two complaints I have: was once the band started you couldn't have a conversation ..it was WAY to LOUD.. and that was the common complaint with the other couples sitting near us. Our bill came and the waitress actually charged me for the glass of red vinegar (chianti) that I had one sip of, instead of taking it off our bill! How CHEAP and WRONG! But I paid it ,,wasn't worth the aggravation of complaining..Just a heads up to anyone that likes wine over beer you may be disappointed! Besides that we would definetly go back in a heartbeat!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Best wings in Western New York. Come on Hockey night & its tough to get a table (come when the Sabres are playing the Leafs & there could be more Canadians in the place then Americans). This is main lining Buffalo.

Been to Anchor Bar? Share your experiences!