“Thinks they are something they aren't”

Mother's Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 1,101 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

First off the food in mothers and the menu is top notch. I have never had a bad plate of food here everything is always delicious. With that being said I have never been given good service in this place ever. The management and wait staff act as if the are a high profile restaurant in new York. In actuality they are a hole in the wall bar on a disgusting side street in buffalo and not even a top 10 restaurant here. You can't even make reservations here without catching attitude. Even the manager is rude here, the guy just throws you at a table and doesn't say anything. With so many places in buffalo to eat the kitchen staff deserves much praise for retaining the guest here. If your like me and can look past this places arrogance for a great plate of food I definatley recommend mothers.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My Son took us to Mother's restuarant to celebrate Father's. I know that's silly. We arrived a little early as they don't start serving until 5pm. The bartender greeted us and quickly made us feel welcome. Our table on the patio was nice but we requested to sit inside as it was a bit chilly. Moving us to an inside table was prombtly accomadated. The waiter casually attended to us all evening which was very comfortable. We were not rushed at all and our food was excellent. One in our party asked for her food to be cooked for a few more minutes as her steak was still a little too pink for her liking. The waiter made sure that it came back perfect the 2nd time. Love the decor of the place, love the atmosphere and most of all love my son for taking me to such a great place for Fathers day. I would go back again and soon.

1  Thank Brian48858
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our group of 8 ate at Mother's recently. Our 1st choice was not this place but everywhere else was booked solid. We had no problem getting a reservation here. That was red flag number one. We were celebrating two birthdays and one anniversary, and were looking forward to good wine and food. The restaurant is located in a dicey area. We were approached by 2 homeless people as we entered and departed the restaurant. So be careful! The interior of the restaurant is nicely decorated in stone and dark colors. It's dimly lit and provides romantic ambiance. However, it is very small and the tables are quite close together. The restaurant was only half full when we arrived on Saturday night at 7:30.

Our table wasn't ready yet, so we approached the bar to order drinks. The bartender spoke rudely to us and insulted one of our group members. This instantly made us raise our eyebrows and question our choice of restaurants. Red flag number 2. We were thankfully seated right after that and we told our waitress what happened. She was appalled and insinuated that it has happened before. She encouraged us to speak to the owner who was seated at the bar. So one of us did, and the owner offered no apology, but rather told my friend that if he had a problem with his restaurant then "you should leave." This shocked our group, especially the two restaurant owners in OUR group. Our goal was to finish eating and get the heck out of the sketchy place.

Our server was amazing.... She offered to buy us a round of drinks, but we kindly declined. We didn't trust anything coming from the bar. The food was pretty good. I liked the Brie and artichoke dip and the prime strip steak. Some people didn't have their steak cooked to order but we didn't want to "offend" the kitchen by sending it back. I wonder if the cook would have told us to leave too?

We will never return. Next time we won't settle for a subpar place. Lesson learned, book reservations way ahead of time for your first choice.

2  Thank stl_locavore
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I ate dinner with my daughter and her friend. When one of us finished their meal, the server took away her plate. Then the second person finished her meal, and the server took away her plate. I don't like feeling rushed when I'm eating. I prefer to not have plates cleared until all persons at the table have finished their meals.

Upon leaving, there were two men at the bar that made comments to the girls as we were walking out of the restaurant. They were in their 60's and my daughter and her friend are in their 20's. I felt uneasy and couldn't wait to get in our cars.

1  Thank Terry384
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A group of us went to Mothers this past weekend. Reservations were necessary, which is fine however they require 48 hours to cancel a reservation, otherwise they will charge your credit card (which is required to make reservation) $20.00 for each person in the group - They would have made $180 on our group. Additionally, if for some reason you are late on the arrival, they promise to give away your table, and charge your card $20.00 per person.

Food was very good. Our waiter was very attentive to us, making suggestions, knew the menu very well, knew what wines were available etc. Desserts were very good, all home made!

However, after dessert, as soon as they brought us the bill, they quickly pushed us out - they asked us to wait in the bar for return of our credit card - said they needed the table.
I have never had that happen, and because of that and the other ridiculous policies, I will not make this a spot to frequent. It will be a long time before I return to Mother's.

Buyer beware!!