“The Phoenix is an hidden gem”
Review of The Phoenix

The Phoenix
Ranked #80 of 1,060 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We ntnt to the Phoenix on recommendation of a friend, was very very impressed. This place has excellent atmosphere, great food, friendly staff all the way around. Especially like the bartender Jeff who is a real entertainer. I had the Salmon dinner and it was perfect.The place is a little hard to find if you havent been there before, but follow the directions online and you'll find it. Worth the effort.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I work around the corner from The Phoenix and had been anxious to get there since they opened in March of this year. Upon walking in the door I immediately felt guilty that it had taken me that long to do so.

I walked in on a Tuesday around 10 after 5 and was the only patron so far. I was greeted by 3 different people in a way that made me feel like I had known each of them forever! I sat at the bar and waited for my dinner partners. The bartender, David, was great! I could have sat there forever sipping on a drink and chatting with him. Speaking of sipping on a drink, I suggest trying a Battle of Black Rock or a Four Points Break. I cannot think of which one I enjoyed more. The Four Points Break because it tasted like an Old Fashioned which reminded me of my grandfather or the Battle of Black Rock because it tasted like Christmas with the cinnamon stick garnishing in and used as a swizzle stick.

Dinner time! We sat down on benches that used to belong to LeMetro before they closed up and moved/bought new. Instead of a bread basket we were brought a bowl of hummus with crisps and pickled veggies. Love that idea. Only I can't eat the crisps (gluten and dairy free here, take note later in my review). But the veggies were delish with a nice kick to them.

I ordered the Pan Seared Sea Scallops and it was offered as gluten free which I took advantage of. I asked if it was cooked in butter at all and our waitress was very accommodating and noted to have the staff use margarine or cooking spray if so. My dinner dates each had Shrimp with Grits and Steak Frites which they both really enjoyed. One also had the black bean soup that he really, really enjoyed.

Our bill came, and we were pleasantly surprised that we didn't break the bank. Yes, you pay a little bit more here. But nothing outrageous. 3 of us - 4 specialty drinks, 2 glasses of wine, 3 entrees and 1 soup came to $122.00 before tip. Call me crazy, but that is not too shabby.

My only slight critique is that I was still hungry when I left. But that always happens to me when I eat seafood.

Oh, and let me reiterate. Service is GREAT!! I am a sucker for that!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

A friend recommended this restaurant and it was great! Super staff - friendly, helpful and our service was fast. Our food was excellent and the prices were reasonable. Low key, pleasant atmosphere, great food - we left happy and sure to come again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The restaurant IS very nice the staff super friendly-. By a whim we stopped in on our way to a different place and seen this place , not knowing what to expext .WE were seated and given a menu. the place is really nice , but honestly the food choices were not so wonderful in our opinion. and the prices a bit high for what you get.

1  Thank Didnt Want to S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a great bar. Top notch service, excellent remodeling job in a classic Blackrock tavern, really kept the authenticity of the building. There is a nice specialty cocktail menu (~$8) and craft bottled beers for ~$4. The food was decent, nothing I would go out of my way for but certainly a nice addition to the neighborhood and a great alternative to the Black Rock Kitchen & Bar, which is a little pretentious for my taste.