“I Loved This Place!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Cozy tavern in the Black Rock section of town. Limited but creative menu supplemented by a chalkboard full of enticing dinner specials. Postage stamp sized kitchen puts out high quality apps and entrees. The riff on Buffalo's iconic "Beef on Weck," a beef on Weck flatbread, was nothing short of brilliant. Clam chowder and black bean soups were delicious but could have been a little warmer. Shrimp and Grits excellently prepared. Also enjoyed the banana pepper dip and polenta fries accompanied by lemon aioli. Service was friendly, efficient and pretty fast for how busy the place was. Put The Phoenix on your list of musts.

1  Thank ChefJimG

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was in Buffalo on business this past week and a friend mentioned this place. Looking for a new place when in the area a few of us went for drinks and dinner. From the outside it looks fine, beautiful iron fence and gate leads to a parking area outback. Also looks like a nice patio in back for the up coming summer season. The night I was there it was pouring rain, so no patio activity.
We decided to sit at the bar and eat. The beer selection was very good. Quite a few surprises with a good local representation. No drafts, all bottles. Very decent wine list too. The bartender, Dave I think, was very friendly and made us all feel right at home. He recomended a baked cheese and hot pepper dip with bread rounds as a good starter. It was a great starter, we ordered another! I had the short rib grilled cheese w/ polenta fries. The sandwich was excellent, crispy, buttery bread, lots of tender juicy short rib and stringy gooey cheese gluing it all together. The polenta fries, available as a side are something you have to experience. Crispy on the outside and creamy inside. We also had the salmon and a smothered steak that was an evening special. Both were fantasic and perfectly cooked to order. We were told the place just recently opened. What a great find. I'll be back next time I'm in Buffalo.

2  Thank rjnale
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My family and I went there for dinner and was blown away by everything. We ended up eating at the bar since we were having a great time talking with the bartender, Dave. I had the short rib grilled cheese and it was the greatest grilled cheese I ever had. The little touches make this spot so unique, cloth napkins, orange ties, the decor. You won`t be having greasy pub fare here, and you won`t want it. Great service, friendly atmospere, neat location. I highly recommend.

1  Thank Colleen D
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The new restaurant in town is the The Phoenix on Amherst St. in the Black Rock section of Buffalo. The food is great - fresh, high quality and a good variety of flavors. Its not your typical bar food - you won't find chicken wings and nachos here. The food is a little more high end with distinct flavors and textures.
The service is outstanding - very attentive, very friendly and making you feel very special. The bar tender has a big smile and welcomes each person like an old friend - and he mixes a good drink. The servers are helpful and make you feel like you are the only one in the restaurant.
The ambiance and decor of the bar steals the show. You walk in and immediately feel the warmth and feel energized by the colors and decorations.
Buffalo has many good restaurants and The Phoenix can be added to that list.

1  Thank s P
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Restaurant vets the Logue family have resurected this old shot and beer joint into a thankfully not-too-slick or trendy small restaurant and bar. Food works for a good dinner, just shared bar snacks, or sandwiches. Partner had blackened sea scallops on Friday, were so expertly cooked we went back for the same boutiful sea scallop plate the next night, prepared differently. I had a steak frite platter with a flavorable strip sprinked with bleu cheese, a sizeable ceasar salad , crispy onions and tasty fries. Second nite I had the ribeye special.....great flavor.....come with a mound of fried onions, red parsley potatoes and asparagus. Tried and liked the banana pepper dip, polenta fries, and the veggie gratin (light sauce). Nice complimentary relish tray....hummus with flatbread crisps, raw & picked vegs, spiced pecans, olives.....really nice. Only negative was the overly breaded goat cheese on the otherwise fine beet salad. House made desserts noteworthy as well......not breaking any culinary frontiers.....but good apple cobbler, tiramisu, lemon pie. Even the ice cream is good quality with house made hot fudge....mmmmm. Limited wine list...some good choices, some could use improvement. There,s a list of special cocktails....we tried the phoenix bloody mary.....to signify this spots "phoenix rising"...it comes flaming with 151 rum....not my favorite, but shows the creativity here. Limited booze selection at this point. Service is very professional.....owner and staff are attentive and friendly. Most welcome I,ve felt in a restaurant in a long time. Easy parking on street ot large lot next door. Large patio looks inviting.....should be great in the nice weather. Only been open a couple of weeks......I,m sure there are great things to comr.
Welcome addition to the exploding culinary scene in Black Rock