“A laugh out loud evening”
Review of Helium Comedy Club

Helium Comedy Club
Ranked #4 of 20 Fun & Games in Buffalo
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This was a unique date idea. We've gone twice and laughed out loud both times. The drinks are decent but a bit pricey at $10 each with a two drink minimum. They offer a food menu as well although we have always eaten elsewhere first. Parking is easy, a plus in buffalo.

Call ahead and get reserved seats. It's worth the extra. Seating is a bit odd in that you are led through a thin hallway and seated one by one-it takes a while unless you have reserved seating.

1  Thank SonjaV1

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Looking to laugh and get fed? Helium Comedy Club does just that. They have good food, reasonably priced; and some great, well known comics. Been there SEVERAL times since it opened. In fact going again this weeend. Make sure to go early and grab a bite before the show. Haven't had one bad menu item yet. The only critique I have is having a better setup for lining up to get into the club.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Fortunately, we had a lot of advice and recommendations prior to our visit from other reviews and friends who had previously been there. Due to all this, we had an awesome time this past Friday and everything went perfectly!

We had a group of 12 people going to the Friday 8pm show to see Dov Davidoff. We purchased "reserved" tickets for our group @ $25/person a couple days in advance. Friends recommended us arriving as soon as possible to pick up the tickets (you can pick them up 2 hours prior to show time). If you call ahead when you purchase reserve seating they will place your party together. We had three tables all together in the second row (really close to stage) with four people at a table. I read previous reviews about the seats being close together so I knew what to expect. My boyfriend and I were the "lucky" ones who got to arrange and pick up the tickets for everyone. We went at 6:15pm and figured we would just get the tickets then go somewhere to eat. When we arrived there wasn't a single person there (besides the workers). We walked right in to the ticket booth, showed ID, and retrieved all 12 tickets.

Since everyone else in our group wasn't going to meet us there until about 7pm, we decided to just eat and get drinks right there. There was nobody there yet and this allowed us to get good seats at the bar, order food, wait and have room for friends to join us. The bartender (not sure of his name) was extremely friendly and welcoming. Since we were the only ones there he wasn't busy and talked with us. I asked him what to expect, the size of theatre, etc. He was very informative. I ordered a mixed drink and my boyfriend ordered an IPA (Ithaca Flower Power on tap...I think he died and went to heaven). We also ordered the chicken quesadilla and the chicken fingers with French fries. They were both pretty reasonably priced for the venue. The quesadillas $8 and the chicken fingers with fries $10. The quesadillas were delicious and huge...it came with four large pieces...we couldn't finish them. The chicken fingers and fries were good as well. My only complaint was that we ordered them "honey bbq style", and they came out plain with bbq sauce on the side.

By the time all of our friends arrived, more people arrived too and there was a line forming at the door. We luckily still had enough room at the bar for people to join us. They start letting people in line to go inside the theatre area at 7:30pm. Since a line immediately formed there as well, we took our time and moseyed on up when the line dwindled. So I finally witnessed the tightness of the tables and chairs on top of each other. The chairs were set up in the manner that two were in front of the table on each side and two were in the back of the table on each side. All the girls sat in front with her boyfriends/husbands behind them, which worked out well. The size of the table didn't bother me at all because I wouldn't consider eating in there. I was glad we ate prior at the bar. The space and the table were WAY too small and I couldn't fathom eating on top of people like that, especially during a show. My recommendation: eat before! I don't know why people complain about the "2 drink minimum". As a previous review stated, this can include food and drinks. Also, you are sitting there for 1 1/2 - 2 hours I'm sure you can manage two beverages in that time. If not, then don't order one in there, just order one at the bar prior to walking in. The waitress serving in there was very good...quick, quiet, and without any disturbance to the performers.

Josh Potter was the host of the show and did an excellent job. Dan Fisher was the opening act. Both were hilarious and I actually enjoyed them better than Dov Davidoff. This was my first time ever seeing Dov Davidoff so I wasn't impressed really, but I also didn't know what to expect out of him. I would have preferred the other two to be on stage longer! Overall though, all the performers were very amusing and had the crowd pleased. I can't wait to come back here!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

It is an excellent addition to the Buffalo entertainment landscape to have this club as part of the downtown scene. It is very conveniently located around the corner from the First Niagara Center.

I was able to see comedian JB Smoove last weekend, and it was absolutely hilarious. The in-house comics that opened the show were also very good.

They have a couple of different craft beers on draft for about 5 or 6 bucks a pint, as well as several domestics. They also have a food menu, however we didn't try it.

The only (and main) complaint is the system of allowing ticketed customers into the show room. They have general admission tickets and reserved tickets. We bought reserved tickets (which are only $5 more than general admission), but there is really no instruction as to which line to be in, or when to enter the showroom. We ended up waiting in the line with the general admission seatholders, even though we didn't need to.

Everything seems to be based on an early arrival, so make sure you get there well ahead of the start of the show. There's a two drink minimum per person anyway, so you can use that time productively.

Overall, it's very cool to have a place like this in town, and I look forward to returning to attend the Garfunkel & Oates show this weekend.