“Fabulous...dining experience.”
Review of Mike A at Hotel Lafayette - CLOSED

Mike A at Hotel Lafayette
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Mike A in the Hotel Lafayette is a contemporary American fine dining experience, begining with the guests first impression of the beautifully restored hotel. Artisan crafted cocktails in the Art Deco era lounge begin an evening of unparalled service and cuisine and ala carte and tasting menus feature the finest ingredients prepared with passion and respect. The superlative wine list will accentuate a perfect dininng experience.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had the opportunity to dine at this great spot last night. The service, food and attention detail was all top notch. We had made dinner reservations at 5:30. Unfortunately one member of our party was delayed . I informed the gentleman who was to seat us of our dilemma ..he said no problem and walked me over to the bar to wait for may friends. He also offered to seat me...whatever I would prefer. My friends joined me at 6:00 and we enjoyed some really nice cocktails at the bar...pleasant atmosphere...highly recommend the "twinkle toes" cocktail... :) Sounds like one of those sweet girly drinks ..but not...very refreshing...a little bubbly...great.

We returned to the restaurant at about 6:30...graciously welcomed...our waiter "Julian" (sp?) was terrific...very attentive...never rushing... the food was superb....the onion soup was amazing...it is quite unique...it is sort of baked inside this type of giant crouton...how does the chef do that...when you break into it this very excellent broth pours out...very special...and I must say the BEST french onion soup I have ever had...worth it to make a trip for the soup alone. We shared a number of small plates...caprese salad...risotto...fried chicken (not the colonel sanders type :) ) ...duck....wedge salad...all amazing...beautifully presented..and perfectly done. For entrees we enjoyed filets and sirloin steaks....perfection. Oh my I forgot to mention the Spring Pea soup...wow....Our server continued to ensure our satisfaction throughout our dining experience...
We sat for awhile and then made a couple of very nice dessert selections...a really nice tart lemon cream pie... and a frozen chocolate mouse with blueberries....both delicious and light...and different... there were several other choices for dessert..tough to decide...will definitely be going back....
Restaurant Week is coming April 22nd...and I heard this place is on the list...a must do!!!
On top of the great service...and to die for food....it was nice to be able to spend an evening in a fine restaurant and not feel rushed....my friends and I don't get to get together like this very often and time flies....we spent several quick hours here just chatting and never felt pressured to move on...
...and while here take the opportunity to walk around this historic hotel (Lafayette) and admire the beautiful transformation and attention to detail...

Thanks Chef Ed....commendable.....outstanding! :)

2  Thank BuffaloDebbie

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The transformation of this once glorious hotel that was in ruins back to where it once was is pretty amazing. Everything is restored and then the food and service matches the enviroment. Well appointed and tasteful. This is not a "filling station", nor a buy one get one free place. What Mile A's is - is classic dining with terrific food and service.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had planned an outing to eat at Mike A's and see the restored Hotel for some time. I had looked at the menu on line. I wanted the tasting menu, and had called ahead to make a reservation and to be sure the tasting menu would be available. I was told that if the restuarent was open the tasting menu would be available. When we arrived an seated, we were told the tasting menu would only be served if everyone ordered it. The explanation was that it is difficult to serve and time the orders since the tasting menu takes so long. There were only two of us and we understood there would be time when one person would have no food. After further discussion with the manager, finally the chef approved. At the time of the discussion, we were the only patrons in the establishment. We were finally served two meals one prix fixe a d one tasting. The hustle to get the food was worth it. I have had tasting menus in several places, this one was the best.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Dined there for first time last night. Did not have a reservation on a Saturday at a busy time. Hostess and dining room manager handled the request nicely and quickly found space for our party of four. Food and service were outstanding. Many interesting offerings on the menu. Cocktails excellent and not too pricey. Bone marrow and beef tartare were very good, but the dinners were even better. The duck and rack of lamb were the best I have experienced, particularly the duck. I eat both regularly at great restaurants around the country so I have some perspective. The veal was also rated highly by one of the party. Servers did a fine job and were freindly and were timely with service. Restauarant manager followed up with us and had a real interest in our satisfaction. Ambience of room was great by me, but my wife thinks it could improve by "Softening it up a little". Maybe women understand that comment. I highly recommend Mike A's.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Mike A's last weekend for dinner. The interior is lovely and welcoming. The servers and staff were outstanding on all levels including attentiveness, efficiency, courtesy, accuracy. They even raised the heat a bit when they noticed we were cold. The wine list is very good, very high end in some cases. We ordered the Seared Sea Scallop app, Lobster en Barigoule and Aged Peking Duck for main courses, Chocolate Soufflé for dessert. Descriptions of food taken from their menu:The scallops (Charred Grapefruit, Shaved Fennel, Rabarbaro Glass, Long Pepper, Vanilla Oil) The lobster dish (Braised Artichoke and Thumbelina Carrots, Red Quinoa, Compressed Grapes, Light Barigoule Broth), the duck (Smoked Jelly, Braised Chestnut, Turnip, Duck Soubise, Confit Cigarello, Liver Mousse, Tangerine). Everything was delicious. The food is something one might see inBon Appetit magazine. More high-brow than we normally eat with the smaller size portions, the foamy 'broth' and the jelly. I would not like to eat this way daily but it made for a lovely dinner and a relaxing evening. It is expensive ($42 for the lobster, $34 for the duck) but as a special night out, it's worth the splurge.