“Good food and location - but ambiance and decor need improvments.”

Pan American Grill & Brewery
Ranked #108 of 1,043 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Inside The Newly Renovated Hotel Lafayette In Downtown Buffalo
Boca Raton, Florida
“Good food and location - but ambiance and decor need improvments.”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We ate dinner at the Pan- American Grill & Brewery in the Hotel Lafayette. The hotel lobby is cool and art deco but not as impressive as I would have expected. Buffalo has some amazing building and architecture and Hotel Lafayette didn’t wow me as I had expected. The lobby area felt a bit barren and seemed to be missing something… almost seemed as if they weren’t finished adding the décor and furnishings. I wish they would have added some interesting information inside the hotel lobby regarding the history and Art Deco style.

The restaurant located just off the hotel lobby and was very crowded however they were able to seat us immediately.

Service – Our server was super nice and attentive and the food was served very quickly.

The food - We had the sweet potato fries with blue cheese, wedge salad and chicken wings… all were super good, especially the sweet potato fries!

The restaurant – When we walked in we noticed that the restaurant had a weird smell… a bit like stale beer mixed with cleaning disinfectant. We almost left. The back area where we were seated was also very barren and felt like a bare and unfurnished room that they added a couple cheap tiny tables. They definitely need to add more décor or something to improve the ambiance of the hotel lobby and restaurant.

Overall, I would probably recommend trying it if you are staying locally in downtown and want some good food, however, I wouldn’t go out of my way to drive here unless they improved the overall ambiance and the smell of the restaurant.

• Visited April 2013

Buffalo, New York
“Disappointment”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I will start by saying, the bar itself, is fantastic. It is two rooms and very great for a crowd. Also, there is a fire place in one room, which is really cozy. Also, they serve the Pearl Street microbrews, which is nice.

However, the food is really a disappointment when compared to Pearl Street. Pearl Street has much better options. The appetizers are very limited and the pizzas are sub-par. Likewise, the entree selection is lacking traditional Buffalo fare like Pearl Street. The only thing I have ever heard was really good was the burger.

Likewise, I have a large family and Pearl Street was booked and the hostess suggested Pan Am Grille and not one person wanted to go there because the food isn't that great. I really hope this changes, because I love the venue and it is a great addition to the limited restaurants in downtown Buffalo.

Visited December 2012
Buffalo, New York
“Very loud atmosphere - under impressed”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I call on a Saturday, and make reservations for that same day at 7pm. I read in a previous review that there was complimentary valet on the weekends. Normally we will just park ourselves, we don't mind the hike, but when we circled the building and couldn't find any parking spots we opted for the valet option. To our dismay, it wasn't complimentary - it was a $10 charge. Apparently they asked him if we were staying at the hotel, and when he answered no, we were charged. When we entered I went up to the hostess and told her about our reservation. She stated she would have to check to see if there was a table available on the *other* side. Since I had never been there prior, I assumed the other side was geared more toward patrons dining, and the side we were standing on was more the "bar area" side. She came back and sat us on the "bar area" side, not the *other side*. I was a little taken aback at my surroundings.... The bar area had popcorn all over the floor...am I in the Roadhouse?! When we sat down at our table, I could barley hear my boyfriend across the table from me because of how noisy and loud it was in there. When the waiter came over I could barley hear him either. However his visit consisted of him saying, "Here's the specials (throwing a list down on our table), I'll be back (then walking away)..." Hmmm. Ok I guess I will read the list of specials myself, and hope I don't have any questions!

I ordered the Buffalo Chicken flatbread. He ordered the Roasted Brisket sandwich. The flatbread was only $5.50! I was quite surprised, and wasn't really expecting too much, since it was pretty cheap. When it arrived, I was impressed with the size....I would have expected it to be around $7-8 for what I received. Unfortunately, I did not like the taste at all...I like bleu cheese, but I am just not sure what was up with this...it tasted very "funky". I ate one out of the 4 or 5 pieces that was it. The roasted brisket sandwich was pretty good. It was pretty large and wasn't even cut once in half! I think the price of the flatbread was really a great deal...however I would have to try a different kind next time.

All in all, I would probably come back here for drinks - I really liked the large bar. I probably wouldn't come back here to eat, as I found it too loud for a decent meal and conversation. I also felt the service was very rushed. I guess I was expecting something a little more upscale; and was let down by the overall casualness. We did wander around after... I really liked the cozy fireplace and couch area!

• Visited March 2013
“Love love love!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Killer burger, which is really what I want in a bar. Good brew selection, appropriately funky cool bartender (ironic bow tie and hip glasses) , good service. Self serve popcorn. Shockingly, even their choice of RC as the cola seems vintage cool.

Williamsville, New York
“Remember when...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you grew up in Buffalo and had the gift of having story tellers in your family you would certainly have heard of the Pan Am Exposition and what Buffalo was like in its "Heyday". If you didn't, go online and look at the restoration this Architectural gem went through.
I can tell you that I remember waiting for the bus behind the old AM&As store and seeing the "clientele" that hung around there in the 70's. Well... no more... This is a must see for anyone spending any time in Buffalo...and there are 3 restaurants to choose from when you go.
We ate at the Pan American Grill. Our server was courteous and friendly and we were introduced to the manager who turns out went to the same high school as my son and graduated a year apart. That got us a free tour and a peek at one of the hotel rooms. We peeked around at some of the open banquet rooms and one can only imagine what the restorative process was like. The architecture is Grand. We had dessert in the Butterwood restaurant. Which I will review also.
You must make a point to see this when in Buffalo

• Visited March 2013

Been to Pan American Grill & Brewery? Share your experiences!