“Mummies of the World”

Buffalo Museum of Science
Ranked #24 of 159 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Buffalo Museum of Science offers educational and exciting experiences the whole family can enjoy, including interactive exhibit spaces, special traveling exhibits, a National Geographic 3D Cinema, collections of over 700,000 artifacts and specimens. Record your own weather forecast or step into a wind chamber in Our Marvelous Earth, explore health and the human body in Explore YOU, build your own gravity wall in the In Motion studio, explore over 1,500 insect specimens in Bug Works, or discover science with your toddler and young scientists in the Explorations early childhood gallery.
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We just toured the Mummies of the World Exhibit with the family & it was a great experience ! We had not been to the museum for many years and we were pleasantly surprised to see how it has changed and is a very different place. The entire mummy experience is a series of dimly lit & eerily quiet rooms in an atmosphere truly befitting the reverential awe with which you'll view these objects. A word of warning : the rooms are kept very chilly (perhaps required for the preservation of the artifacts) so be prepared with sweaters or jackets even if the day outside is warm. Surprised to learn that many countries (including the U.S.) have mummies besides Egypt & you'll see a U.S. family of mummies there. We also checked out the other areas of the museum & best by far was the area with many wooden toys & crafts for the younger set. It's a huge room where your young ones can happily spend hours if you have the time.

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Museum of Science

Reviewed August 18, 2014

The mummy exhibit we went to see was called Mummies of the World. You can check it out online. It is absolutely awesome!
It's no longer in Buffalo and I don't know where it's going next but if you get a chance to see it, do so. It's not just Egyptian mummies..

Reviewed August 13, 2014

They had real mummies from around the world while we visited the area... my Grand daughter is sooooooo into mummies... she is 8yrs old. this was a highlight for her as I gave her persmission to use MY camera to take all pictures in the museum. So she was super disappointed she wasnt allowed to take pictures of the mummies... very informative.. the rest of the museum was great! 3rd floor tops it for kids with hands on interactive things for the kids to do... like one big play ground to learn about earthquake, tornados, ect.. we had a difficult time finding the place... but once there.. it was awesome. this is very much worth to go... but I have to say I didnt like any other part of Buffalo NY.. the streets are ridiculous.. we even had someone hanging on our car door & mirror trying to get in.. (scary) but once to the museum?? all was good.. this is an awesome place..

1  Thank Trish L
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I went to the Buffalo Museum of Science today expressly to see the mummies. We went through the entire exhibit and enjoyed what we saw. However, I have two big complaints. The first is the Audio Tour. It included nothing new that wasn't already mentioned on the placards along the way. It also certainly was not over two hours of material as presented on the website for the exhibit claimed. My second issue is the mummies presented. The exhibition book which we purchased, as well as the website, indicate that there were many more mummies, including a monkey and more from Peru that were not shown. Why did Buffalo not get the full experience? Hoping someone from the museum will answer these questions here so we all can know!

1  Thank tanders
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Recently decided to check out the Buffalo Museum of Science and the Mummies of the World exhibit. I havent been to the museum in a long time so i was curious to see what has been updated. Disappointed the dinosaur hall is gone.... Our place in space on the fourth floor was depressing and tiny especially since two of the displays were out of order. Just a bunch of computers and a machine that you could see how much you weigh on different planets. The Mummies exhibit was interesting but not as big as I thought it would be. Just a bunch of cases and information on the wall. I didnt think it was worth the price of $20 a person (even though it includes admission to the museum). Trust me i just went to see the Titanic artifact exhibit and that was well worth the $25 dollar a person! The other studios were fun and educational. The kids seemed to have fun with the interactive aspect.