“A must.”

Ranked #24 of 161 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Buffalo Museum of Science offers educational and exciting experiences the whole family can enjoy, including interactive exhibit spaces, special traveling exhibits, a National Geographic 3D Cinema, collections of over 700,000 artifacts and specimens. Record your own weather forecast or step into a wind chamber in Our Marvelous Earth, explore health and the human body in Explore YOU, build your own gravity wall in the In Motion studio, explore over 1,500 insect specimens in Bug Works, or discover science with your toddler and young scientists in the Explorations early childhood gallery.
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We visited with our 3 and 5 year old and had a wonderful time. Some exibits were to old for them but we had the best time. Something for everyone there.

Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Jeanne -

Thank you for your review, and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We've been making many changes at the museum to transform our visitor experience into an interactive attraction. We hope you visit again in October 2012 when we open our earth systems studio. You'll also want to check out our new National Geographic films in our 3D cinema - they just started showing this week. And don't forget about Bubblefest in September!

Marketing Manager
abiber@sciencebuff.org

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a great museum to visit with or without children, although they have a very nice children's area for interactive play. I take my grandsons here when they are in from out of town. Occasionally they have a traveling exhibit and a very nice gift shop.

Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

DstmNY -

Thank you for the wonderful review and we hope you return again soon. We recently started our National Geographic 3D films which would be a hit with you AND you grandsons! And if you haven't been here since January, you'll definitely want to check out our new health science studio, Explore YOU. We will also open our earth systems studio in October 2012, and Bubblefest is just around the corner as well as our next special exhibit, The Science of Sports.

We hope to see you again soon.

Marketing Manager
abiber@sciencebuff.org

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We went for the CSI exhibit and it was my first trip to the museum since moving to Buffalo 4 years ago. It was not the biggest science-themed museum I have ever been to, but it was fun and educational. Prices weren't horrible, either.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I went there for the Bodies exhibit a while ago and haven't been back since. They have not changed or updated the exhibits since I was about 14 years old! I would like to see them take some cues from the Jersey City Science Center which I think would really bring the museum and the area back. Unfortunately the funding just isn't there. Hopefully one day soon it will be updated . I can't help but feel the children of the Buffalo area are getting short changed.

BMSVisitorExperience, Public Relations Manager at Buffalo Museum of Science, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Hi Amanda,

You might want to check the museum out again sometime soon. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised! Since we hosted Body Worlds in 2009, we have added our new interactive early childhood Explorations gallery, a 3D cinema, Seymour the Mastodon and Stanley the Albertosaurus in Hamlin Hall, the new Explore YOU health sciences studio, and updated a few of our other permanent side halls.

We have also embarked on our master exhibit plan to install eight interactive science studios by 2015 (Explore YOU being the first of the bunch) . Explore YOU opened in March, and Our Marvelous Earth, focusing on Earth Systems, will open in October of this year. With proper funding, we will be opening a new studio every six months over the next several years, each focusing on a different science topic.

In addition to the permanent experiences and children's programs, we've also been incorporating a number of adult-only events to appeal to the "big kids", including Beerology, Star Lights, and smaller events to go along with out traveling exhibits. Our 'Get a Clue' mystery night in March was a hit! We turned the 2nd floor of the museum into a giant CLUE board game and guests were challenged to determine the suspect, weapon, and location of the incident. (we'll likely hold this even again in the fall) We also offer "Science Cafes" a few times a year and invite local science professionals to talk about different science topics and offer a cash bar and open the traveling exhibit for guests.

You can learn a lot more about our new exhibits, programs and events at our website - www.sciencebuff.org - or I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have if you email me at abiber@sciencebuff.org.

There truly are many changes taking place at BMS and I'd even be happy to give you a tour of the museum to show you what's new and what's coming up in future years.

Thank you for your review, and I hope you decide to give BMS another try again soon.

Marketing Marketing Manager

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Went with my husband to see the humon body exhibit-very fascinating!!!!