“Great Dinosaur Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buffalo Museum of Science

Buffalo Museum of Science
Ranked #23 of 150 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Buffalo Museum of Science offers educational and exciting experiences the whole family can enjoy, including interactive exhibit spaces, special traveling exhibits, a National Geographic 3D Cinema, collections of over 700,000 artifacts and specimens. Record your own weather forecast or step into a wind chamber in Our Marvelous Earth, explore health and the human body in Explore YOU, build your own gravity wall in the In Motion studio, explore over 1,500 insect specimens in Bug Works, or discover science with your toddler and young scientists in the Explorations early childhood gallery.
Buffalo NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Dinosaur Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Museum is small and can be enjoyed in an afternoon. The kids, boy 11 and girl 9, had a great time seeing the life size exhibits! The 3D movie was really fun! A good time was had by all. We had lunch at the historic Ulbrichs Restaurant known for it's german cuisine. Excellent service and food!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank eyrieyes

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth the visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

Value packed museum with a solid foundation of interactive things for our kids... Facts are facts and kids love the touch and feel of facts as it pertains to them and OUR world. Thanks for the wealth of new and old facts. The Narnia Exhibit was wonderfully done and educationally enjoyable for my whole family. Great entertainment value and very friendly staff throughout. We loved it so much we signed up for the family membership!

“Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's apparent that this museum is continuously concerned with providing for it's patrons. Upon reading reviews here dated from 2006 or 2008, I was skeptical about the current condition of the Buffalo Museum of Science. The place I came to was nothing like the dismal reviews described.

The Narnia exhibit, while not as interactive as I had hoped, was still very interesting, and probably a great fit for children and fans of the books and recent movies. I'm excited for the upcoming DaVinci "Machines in Motion" exhibit.

My only real gripe is the size of the dinosaur exhibit. It could be a lot larger, but nonetheless, it's still cool to see. The 3D theater has a movie running about dinosaurs, which was

Also, the museum gift shop is fun to explore and the food available (I got a buffalo chicken wrap) is phenominal

Visited February 2011
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Needs Extensive TLC”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

We went here about 2 weeks ago, and were highly disappointed. It's not a museum I would ever want to visit again. Where to start? I guess with the fact that there was a lack of signs directing us to the museum. This isn't on the museum, but the city (I asked the reception desk about this). We drove around the entire complex without realizing it was the museum because there was nothing to outwardly advertise it as such.

Their new exhibit on color was very slap-dashedly put together. We were there the first day it opened, and the exhibit wasn't completely installed. There also wasn't very much to it. While there were some interesting individual exhibits about the color spectrum and prisms, the rest of it made no sense. Amongst the exhibits were random displays of native artifacts that had no relevance to color other than they seemed to be grouped by it. Overall, there was very little explanation about the displays.

The floor you enter on has a bunch of side rooms that are in the old-style dead, stuffed animal dioramas. While the animals were in decent condition (very little mange), there was very little information. And that style of exhibit is just generally boring.

The dinosaur/fossil exhibit was very tiny and cramped. I didn't spend much time in it in part because of that, and in part because my toddler wanted to run around like a little heathen. I've seen much better quality exhibits. This one seemed like an afterthought thrown in a side room.

Another disappointment was the space/astronomy exhibit, mainly because when we climbed the stairs to it, the doors were locked. No reason was given as to why the exhibit was closed, and we were not notified at the reception desk when we purchased tickets it was closed.

The building itself is in desperate need of refurbishment. It's showing it's age and felt like an underfunded geology dept that's been shunted to the side and forgotten in the back of the building. Everything in there needs a complete overhaul - starting with clearing out the dioramas.

With all this negativity, there were 3 decent exhibits. The Egyptian exhibit was nice. I would have liked to have more information in regards to the board game shown, but overall, we enjoyed it, esp the X-ray/description of the mummy.

The other positive were the 2 children's rooms. Our toddler had fun in the the one geared for younger kids - it had a water table, a slide, camp site, and various other toys. The other room was geared for older kids and had a water table (different types of material to create dams), microscopes, live rabbits, and more dead, stuffed animals. I thought the water table in the older kids' room was fairly entertaining.

1 Thank PunchieGirl
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Only come when there is an exhibit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

The museum is average, dinosaurs, rocks, and all the usual suspects. I'd advise going only going when there is an exhibit going on, to get
the most out of your buck. The kids found it slightly boring. It takes a couple of hours to go through it all.

ADMISSION