“Visit a Sanctuary Instead”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Buffalo Zoo

The Buffalo Zoo
Ranked #11 of 151 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1875, the Buffalo Zoo is the third oldest zoo in the United States. Each year, the Zoo welcomes approximately 400,000 visitors and is the second largest tourist attraction in Western New York, second only to Niagara Falls.Located on 23.5 acres of Buffalo’s beautiful Delaware Park, the Zoo exhibits a diverse collection of wild and exotic animals and more than 320 different species of plants. Open year-round, the Zoo is a constant source of conservation, education and recreation for Western New York.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Visit a Sanctuary Instead”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

The zoo is under construction which makes it complicated to navigate. There are many areas and walkways that are totally closed off, but most of them don't specify they are closed off until you get 3/4 of the way there and then have to turn around.

The whole place is rather depressing. The gorillas don't seem to have any access to fresh air and the outdoors. All the animals look unhealthy crammed in their small environments. The giraffe exhibit is literally feet away from a busy highway . I don't see how this is not stressful for them. The whole zoo in general seems like a very stressful environment for all the animals, especially with all the loud construction being done.

I am not a fan of zoos in general, but came here for my family. If I had my choice I would've visited Farm Sanctuary in Ithaca where the animals are happy, healthy, and are showered with so much love from the staff and visitors.

3 Thank pennypod

Santa Fe, New Mexico
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Under construction, but still a lot of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

They are under construction at the Buffalo Zoo and the end result will be well worth the wait. Lots of activities for kids, they can ride the merry-go-round, ride the train, dig for dinosaur bones, play in a large playground and see some animal shows as well. The polar bears are young and spent hours playing in the water in their temporary home at the tiger enclosure. The Buffalo Zoo is a great place to visit. Check out their special evening and weekend events too!

Arcade, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“So much fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Took my little great nephew to the zoo today. We had a great time. Our only disappointment was the elephant was hard to see in the elephant house. The zoo aides were helpful and informative. They got down to my nephews level when they spoke to him. It is a small zoo but always a fun adventure.

Chicago, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice little zoo needs some help in getting fixed up.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Went to visit my friend living in Grand Island and she thought a visit to the Buffalo Zoo would be a lot of fun. My friend apologized to me and said she was disappointed. I told her that it was a small zoo that needs money big time to get fixed up. I did enjoy the few animals that I saw even though the zoo itself seemed bleak. But then again we are originally from Chicago where we have the Lincoln Park and Brookfield Zoos that are spectacular. The cost for entrance to the zoo is not that expensive at all and it was a nice day to wander around with a friend. Just wish there were more animals to see. I would have been happy to have bought a Buffalo Zoo T-shirt if I saw one to purchase!

Visited July 2013
Alfred Station, New York
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Very nice zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Lots of exhibits. The Rain forest exhibit is spot on and extremely accurate. My favorite spot in the whole Zoo. Lastly, as of June of 2014, there was a lot of construction underway. Some new exhibits are being built and some of the older ones being renovated. We suggest to bring your own picnic lunch. Food is very expensive.

1 Thank schees1

Been to The Buffalo Zoo? Share your experiences!