“great zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Buffalo Zoo

The Buffalo Zoo
Ranked #11 of 151 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1875, the Buffalo Zoo is the third oldest zoo in the United States. Each year, the Zoo welcomes approximately 400,000 visitors and is the second largest tourist attraction in Western New York, second only to Niagara Falls.Located on 23.5 acres of Buffalo’s beautiful Delaware Park, the Zoo exhibits a diverse collection of wild and exotic animals and more than 320 different species of plants. Open year-round, the Zoo is a constant source of conservation, education and recreation for Western New York.
West Falls, New York
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“great zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Our son loves the buffalo zoo and so do we. The (relatively) new tropical area is amazing. It is fun to just sit and watch the animals move around the tropical rain forest. My son also loves the elephants and the giraffes. My favorite animals are the rhinos - the baby is getting so huge!

1 Thank jy3

Buffalo, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Not a zoo fan in general, so may be bias”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I really am not too keen on the whole zoo thing in general, but there is nothing particularly bad about this one. I just feel bad for all zoo animals.

Amherst, New York
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“terrific”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

as zoos go, this one is special - any time of the year. Always fun to visit.

1 Thank hokeyma
wny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bday Party/Over charged.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Had my sons bday party at the zoo. Though my sons and their friends liked it, I was not too happy with a few things. When I booked the party, I was told there would be a list of 47 animals (mammals, reptiles, birds) for me to choose 2 for them to bring out for the guests to touch. I was told that they would not supply me with a list until we got to the party...they dont want to promise an animal and have it be sick or whatever that day. Ok, that was fine. When I got to the zoo, I was given a list of FIVE animals to choose from. Those were..a ferret, snake, tortoise, chinchilla and a bird!!! ALL common animals we have either had as pets, or could see at a pet store (for free) I was thinking they would have something more "zooish" rather than household pets, I mean it IS a ZOO.
I was told we would have a personalized exhibit visit. This "tour" was VERY rushed and was not very personalized. There were a couple animals my son really wanted to learn more about. We were pretty much talked out of it and sent into the rainforest. I feel this personalized tour was already planned out..thats where THEY wanted to take us.
Once the party was over, we did walk around the zoo and did our own tour.
What upsets me most is that fact that I was OVER charged! All guests were supposed to come thru the front gate and tell the worker they were there for a party and pay a discounted rate. The bill I got had all my adult guests added to it, which I paid, I asked everyone if they had paid at the gate and they said no. However, 3 of my guests had left early and I never got a chance to ask them (since I didnt know before hand that it was added to the bill) The next day I asked them if they had paid at the gate and they DID..FULL price admission! I got their credit card receipt, called the zoo and was pretty much told..TOO BAD! I should have brought that to the attention of the party host. How was I to know, how were my guests to know that the adults paid at the end?
I would not recommend having yoru kids party there. If you do, becareful not to get over charged! I will never have another party there, thats for sure, and I may never go back to visit .

Visited February 2012
3 Thank nothappyWny
Buffalo, New York
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Average Zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Many better, many worse. The rain forest exhibit is cool. Poor location

Been to The Buffalo Zoo? Share your experiences!