“Easter Brunch at best mediocre”
Review of Acqua - CLOSED

Acqua
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: located right on the water!
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Arrived 10 minutes early, couldn't find our reservation. They sat us quickly however, unfortunately did not tell any server it was their table, waited 15 minutes to see anyone. Once waited on, food on the buffet of good quality, food at best was Luke warm. Omlette bar had one chef, 10 people minimum waiting. Meal was $27 for brunch and they had the nerve to charge an additional $3 for a glass of orange juice. Very disappointed, unlikely to ever visit again. Unfortunate as the location and view is very nice.

2  Thank IMDTR

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I were planning a big event. We loved the ballroom at Hotel lafayette that is leased to Acqua. We met the banquet manager of Acqua. We had described to her what we wanted and asked her if the date was open. She assured us that the date was open and gave me a verbal and email confirmation that the Crystal ballroom was held for our party. We sent out invitations to 150 people after confirmation again from the Banquet Manager verbally and by email. The Banquet Manager then contacted us stating that the Crystal Ballroom maybe small for our party and moved us to the Grand Ballroom for our party. We awaited the contract from Acqua. When we received the contract , it had multiple errors. We called the Banquet Manager immediately to correct the errors and to resend the contract. She never sent the corrected contract despite email correspondence to get it to us. I went to meet with the Banquet Manager and confirmed the centerpieces and the layout of the Grand ballroom with her. Also, I reminded her that we had still not received the contract. She said that she had been extremely busy and would get it to us soon and that we should not be worried at all. Later that day, we got a call from the Banquet Manager stating she was really sorry but that the Ballroom was accidently overbooked (10days prior to the party!) and we could not have the party at the Grand ballroom. We asked to be put back in the Crystal ballroom and we were told that we actually were overbooked in that room originally too. I spoke to the owner of Acqua to get an explanation of this enormous mistake. Not only did she not once apologize but also she had no explanation of how this occurred nor a solution and brought up the fact they did not have a signed contract despite this being a delay on their part (our lawyer stated that we have enough correspondence from Acqua to support their breaking an agreement with us). They said they would help us but the alternatives they proposed to us were not even comparable (the Sports bar and Grill on the 3rd floor) and Statler Grand ballroom. The owner did not comprehend the gravity of this mistake and were not helpful at all to help secure another site. My wife and I went to the Delaware Mansion (which by the way was fabulous) on our own and made arrangements last minute. There was more cost associated with the last minute change in venue and the banquet manager stated they would help with this. Again, they lied and did not do anything to help us. It was completely unethical and unprofessional. I would not recommend anybody to go there.

6  Thank indianbuffalo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Went here in oct and it was already dead! It's on the water and the season was over already. Had the chicken that was dry as a bone and bland. My husbands steak was tasty though. Not impressed and would probably not go again if I were in town,

1  Thank Anlisa
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Molly and the Acqua staff did a outstanding job planning and executing my 9/2/12 wedding! I can't thank them enough. We held both our ceremony and reception at the restaurant, in the large and gorgeous Harbor Room, separated by a partition. The ceremony room was pretty and intimate, and the reception was elegant and fancy without being stuffy. Everyone commented on how beautiful it was. Molly accommodated our every request and contributed a number of excellent ideas as well.

I must admit I was nervous at various times in the weeks preceding as I read reviews saying events were understaffed, the service provided was less than promised, and even some about the quality of the food being mediocre. OUR WEDDING EXPERIENCE WAS NOTHING BUT POSITIVE! The food quality was great and exceeded the tasting, our guests were well fed and their drinks were full, and several of the servers were particularly attentive to my wife and I.

Molly knows what she's doing and takes a great deal of pride in the events she puts on. She made our wedding terrific and would do the same for you!

Acqua could easily choose to be one of the most expensive venues in the city, but instead they offer a number of packages we found to be an excellent value. ALL venues add tax and gratuity, and the per head price for appetizers, a full meal, full open bar, and assorted desserts, is completely reasonable, and there is not a better view to be found anywhere in Buffalo. The water and sunset are truly spectacular!

2  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had dinner at Acqua to celebrate our anniversary. We were torn between several venues that night but chose Acqua because it was a beautiful evening and thought it would be nice to be near the water and also assumed it was an upscale restaurant with fine dining. I'll begin by saying that we wanted reservations at 7:00 pm...my husband was told that they were booked and the earliest could be 8 o'clock. We arrived at 10 of 8 to find a nearly empty restaurant. There were guests on the outdoor terrace...not full...and 4 tables inside that were occupied. One of them by us.
We waited 20 minutes before anyone came to our table. The waitress said she didn't know she had a table inside gave us the specials list and said she would be right back. She did not return...another 20 minutes passed ...I stopped another waitress passing by...and asked where our server was?? She began to walk away to find her but did the right thing and said she would take care of us. We ordered wine, appetizer, salads and dinner right then to avoid another lengthy wait. It took 20 minutes for the wine. The appetizers came and it was NOT edible...we ordered the artichokes.....we personally like artichokes...it might as well have been tree bark...awful...could not eat. The waitress apologized and offered soup..we declined.
Salads came..they were fair...a wedge salad without crumbly blue cheese??

Anyway...salads finished she said our meals would be up in 2 minutes...15 minutes later..I asked her what was going on...she said they were behind because they had two groups of 10 on the terrace. By this point we and 2 other couples were the only other patrons in the restaurant. Atotal of about 40 people in this huge place is not a large crowd....and need to mention there was no event going on at the time that could take away from the restaurant patrons.

The waitress was very nice..not her fault...they did not charge us for the inedible artichokes...or our wine..and gave us dessert....which was nice of them...but the evening was not pleasant....the entrees were good ...I want to make sure I mention that.

I do not think I would go back here again...had dined here before when it was Harry's ...what the heck happened???

3  Thank Buffalodeb_14