“Love, love, love this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of P.F. Chang's

P.F. Chang's
Ranked #109 of 1,030 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Toronto, Canada
“Love, love, love this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Want to eat and drink well? Here is what I get every time I go here:
Ginger Beer, housemade
Mongolian Beef with Brocoli
Chicken Fried Rice and that's it. A meal fit for a king!!!

The kids menu is awesome as well. I have been eating here for years and never have had a bad experience. Great service as well!!!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank FirstClass001

Toronto
“best chinese ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

The atmosphere is excellent and the food is incredible. We often have to wait a bit, but it is worth it.

Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great meal but book ahead”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had dined at P.F. Chang's at Walden Galleria once before and had to endure a relatively long wait for a table. This time around we made a reservation on the restaurant's website and got an instant confirmation. Even with the reservation we had to wait 12 minutes for a table. However, this was much better than the 45 minute wait for those who arrived at the same time without a reservation (on a Sunday evening at 7:00pm).

We were famished so decided to go all out by sharing three appetizers and three entrees (there were three in our group). The spring rolls (four for $5.95) were quite tasty and not too greasy. We thoroughly enjoyed the Dynamite Shrimp - lightly breaded and fried shrimp served in a cocktail glass with a spicy sauce - and the Crab Wontons were nice and light but the crab stuffing tasted too much like cream cheese.

The three entrees proved to be enough for our group (we also had a side order of steamed rice). Most enjoyable was the Kung Pao Shrimp. Like the appetizer, they were lightly breaded and fried and were served in a modestly spicy sauce with peanuts. The Wok Charred Beef was also very good. Also served in a slightly spicy sauce, the meat was perfectly cooked (not overly charred!) and the mushrooms, red peppers and garlic proved to be perfect accompaniments. Our least favourite was the Carmel Mango Chicken. The description on the menu sounded fabulous but the actual dish itself came up far short. The chicken was quite bland and there was virtually no zing to the sauce.

We decided to splurge on dessert and chose three selections off of the "bite size" menu ($2.95 each or three for $7.95). The chocolate torte and peanut butter crunch (times two) proved to be more than enough given everything we had eaten previously.

PF Chang's doesn't offer the most innovative Chinse cuisine but the food is generally consistent and reasonably priced. Don't be put off by the spicy symbols which appear by many of the dishes - at best the level of spiciness is medium.

Finally, make sure to book ahead or arrive early!

• Visited December 2012
Ransomville, New York
“Fun place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Good food, served family style. Great wait staff, had my first edamame... be sure and make reservations!

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“A restaurant not about the food....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

From the outside, the decor looks amazing, 2 giant horses but then on the inside midget terra cotta warriors with the disclaimer that they aren't real but re-creations. As you look around you see that drinks are flowing like the Yang-Tse river. The staff is very professional looking. Restaurant looks great and the bathrooms are very clean. You remember that someone thought this company was SO GOOD, that they bought it for 1.1 Billion dollars, and the company is listed on the stock market at $51 per share and made $6.3 million in Q1.

So, you walk in and the place is packed....with white people. Looking at the staff, there is not one Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Indonesian, Polynesian, etc) in sight, but then you think it is the year 2012, we are an equal opportunity people. Perhaps the Chinese haven't discovered this place yet; however, it is novel being the only Chinese person in a Chinese restaurant.

The service is impeccable, specials are explained, options are given and you feel relaxed not rushed like you would in a normal Chinese restaurant. Looking at the menu, it is very well organized, everything is in columns, so, Chicken dishes have one column, Seafood is in another column. The lunch menu is on it's own page. However, I also noticed that there was no Chinese on the menu that one would see in an authentic Chinese restaurant. As my wife reminds me, that this is NOT an authentic Chinese restaurant, so, I'll go along with the prank. After all, what Chinese person doesn't like a good egg roll once in awhile.

So, as we order, we mention about food allergies, and a BIG RED FLAG goes up in our waiter's mind and he INSISTS that if you have food allergies, he will bring us the menu for people with seafood allergies. You think, what Chinese restaurant has EVER done THAT? Everyone knows that even if they promise not to use MSG because you're allergic, they just use less and slip some in for good measure.

Comparing what we wanted on the menu to what is on the menu, we notice an absolute lack of beef products or anything that we wanted in the first place. I still don't understand how Beef and Broccoli has seafood in it. So, being the good sports and not wanting anyone to get sick, we change our order to reflect the non-seafood menu. So, we ordered DALI CHICKEN (Our spiciest chicken dish served with sliced potatoes), CRISPY HONEY CHICKEN (Lightly battered and served in a sweet sauce over a bed of crispy rice sticks) and COCONUT CURRY VEGETABLES (Stir-fried vegetables, crispy silken tofu and peanuts in a mild curry powder and coconut milk sauce).

In my mind, these dishes had the potential to be fantastic. In my mind, the Dali Chicken would be spicy, yet creamy and flavourful. This dish would not only have chicken and potatoes but some root vegetables, as well. The Crispy Honey Chicken would be half a chicken with a glistening brown skin reminiscent of Peking Duck with a sweet plum sauce on the side lying on a bed crispy rice sticks. The coconut curry would be a Thai inspired curry, which gives a subtle hint of coconut flavour in a milky curry sauce covering stir fried vegetables.

Alas, my mind plays tricks on me. As I was served a Dali Chicken which is a tandoori styled chicken that wasn't marinated in the sauce which has been panfried in too much black bean sauce making it too salty and just chili pepper flakes and oil making it hot and greasy. No vegetables, no real sauce to put on my rice. The Crispy Honey Chicken was fried chicken nuggets in a lemon chicken type of sauce that has honey and vinegar in it like the aftertaste of vomit. No vegetables in sight. The Coconut Curry Vegetables had an overpowering taste of coconut but followed with that same aftertaste.

My children also ordered off the menu and don't like strong tastes. My son had Children's Chicken plate which consisted of the same nuggets of chicken and white rice with a side of Sweet and Sour sauce, heavy on the sweet and even more heavy on the sour. My daughter had the Children's Chicken Fried Rice which was clumpy. It was good but the way it was cooked, the rice didn't remind me of light floating heavenly clouds, it was more like a snow ball thrown by Bart Simpson after he yells Cowabunga.

One needs to remember that Chinese food is a mastering and balance of all tastes not one taste out battling any of the others. This was my biggest bone of contention. So, despite everything, you eat at this restaurant at your own risk and I am not sure how all these patrons do it, after all can $6.3 million dollars really be THAT WRONG?

• Visited August 2012