Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin D. Martin House Complex

Recommended experiences in and around Buffalo
from $28.00
from $12.00
from $15.00
1,490 results
All reviews hour tour the main house carriage house falling water prairie style extended tour amazing house summer home visitor's center restoration work longer tour wright designed gift shop under renovation great tour architectural gem our tour guide
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Actually, Buffalo has two impressive architectural treasures in one small area, where Frank Lloyd Wright’s Prairie-style Darwin Martin House complex sits on a corner lot in Frederick Law Olmstead’s tree-lined Parkside neighborhood. We had booked tickets in advance online for a 1-hour tour of the Martin House and found free parking along Woodward Ave. Our visit began in the light-filled, ultramodern visitor center where we met our guide and watched a short film about the collaboration between the Martins and Mr. Wright. Our docent was passionate about the house and extremely knowledgeable about its craftsmanship and history. From 1937 to 1954, the house was abandoned, and three of the five buildings in the complex were torn down in the 1960s. Since 1992, $50 million has been put into the meticulous renovation of the dwelling and the rebuilding of the pergola, conservatory, and carriage house. There is so much to see that I wish we’d had time for the two-hour tour. If you are looking for a meal in the area, the Parkside Meadow Restaurant (2 Russell St.) is within easy walking distance and has good appetizers, sandwiches, and entrees.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ so I was excited to see the Martin House while visiting Buffalo. I loved this tour! I lucked out being one of only 3 people doing the one hour tour. I feel we got more information and interesting tidbits than we may have received in a larger group. Our tour guide, Ed, was very knowledgeable and made sure we had plenty of time to explore and learn about each room. He took a lot of care in explaining things and making sure we had no questions unanswered. If you luck out and get Ed as your guide, tell him the girl from DALLAS says hi! The tour was totally worth the time and money. Perhaps the 2 hour tour is also worth the extra money but the one hour was sufficient in my opinion.

Date of experience: September 2019
FLWMARTINHOUSE, Guest Relations Manager at Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin D. Martin House Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for visiting the Martin House and for your kind review! I will be sure to pass this along to Ed!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband, sister and I enjoyed our 2-hour tour of the Darwin Martin house complex very much. Our guide, Brian Smith brought to life the relationship between FLW and his patron, Darwin Martin, and clearly explained the quirky design details so characteristic of Wright's work. We were amazed to learn that parts of the complex had been demolished to build an apartment building. Thank goodness the site was deemed a national landmark, and that public and private funds were found to meticulously rebuild the demolished buildings and gardens, and to restore the Martin house itself. Two hours flew by under Mr. Smith's leadership. I am so glad we took the time to tour this unforgettable architectural jewel! Don't miss it!

Date of experience: September 2019

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased you had such a wonderful experience here at the Martin House and will be sure to pass along your kind words to Brian!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We very much enjoyed our 2 hour tour. They have done a wonderful job of preservation and restoration. Even with 2 hours it felt like we barely scratched the surface, there is just so much ground and history to cover!

Date of experience: September 2019

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your time here at the Martin House.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

never saw the magic in a FLW house. those tiny windows and rigid lines make for a dark and soul-less existence. Over rated without any sense of joy of living, comfort , passion, and especially LIGHT. I'll take Le Corbusier'.

Date of experience: August 2019