“It's always better when you're never expecting it”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,030 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: http://www.meltingpot.com/userfiles/Store130/buffalo-dinner-042712.pdf
Oakville, Canada
“It's always better when you're never expecting it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

This will be a quick review - but worth it none the less.

I attended The Melting Pot last night with some friends. We arrived around 17:30, mostly my fault for sleeping in a little too late. Even though we were technically an hour and a half late for our reservations, they seated us with no problems what so ever. We asked to be seated at a 2 burner table, which I recommend for groups of 4. Way better than being stuck at the one burner table where you're all picking out of one pot.

Our server Dani was great. She was quick and to the point and made the small talk where it matters. Unlike last time, the food came fast and fierce and tasted great as always. We started with the cheese, I can't remember what cheese we got but it was the 'stronger' one. Man was it ever great! We had the Caesar salads which were top notch as always, followed by the "Mojo" broth... which was also AMAZING. We ended off with the... something...nut chocolate. Again, amazing.

As per the last 10 visits to that restaurant, the manager is always walking around the make sure that everything is going great.

I was ALMOST scared off from the Melting Pot Buffalo last time I was down there, but this time made up for it.

Keep up the great work. I'll continue to recommend your restaurant to everyone I know.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Thetravellinman12
Jim M, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
I always look forward to your reviews and I am glad to hear my staff delivered a great experience. I will pass your compliments along to Dani.

Cheers!

Brantford, Canada
“Great fondue place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Good fondue and fresh vegetables and fruits, makes for an excellent meal and a good night out. We chose the classic fondue and it was as good as the best I've had in Switzerland.

Visited March 2014
Jim M, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Swiss cheese fondue and I hope we will see you again soon.
Englehart, Canada
“Great time and good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I always try and stop by here when I am in Buffalo with my girls. Fondue is one of my kids favourite things and the time we spend just talking is pricless. Love the choices and the staff are very helpfull and friendly.

• Visited May 2013
Jim M, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Sarbecca,

Thank you for the review. I will be sure to send along your compliments to my staff! I hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,
Jim Materese
Owner
Oakville, Canada
“Very very hit, until a big miss...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Melting Pot. Wow... even the words make my mouth water. I mean hell, probably the best food experience I've ever had. It's somewhere you WANT to go, you can spend time with friends, talking instead of buried in your cell phones and enjoy the slow cooking methods and breathe between courses. That is - of course if you feel as if anyone cared for you.

I've been here about 10 times. I've had nine great experiences (I drive from the Toronto area to go here) and this time I was severely disappointed. And as anyone here who's a retail person knows, it takes one bad experience and out comes the review.

I attended with three of my lady friends. Upon walking in the door from the blustery cold we were greeted by a male and a female - the male who turned out to be the manager. He began with a "Hello - do you have reservations?" to which we replied No. The manager, who appeared as if I had just told him I was an alien and was here to invade his restaurant, gave me a dumbfounded look and slowly shook his head as he looked in his book. Keep in mind, it was only 3:00pm. At this point I'm thinking... Ah crap. Big party going on or they're booked solid on this cold, snowy, stormy afternoon. Maybe we'll just suck it up and head over to PF Changs. After about 3 minutes the decision was made, we had a table. YES!

We walked back into the restaurant. Holy crap. 2 tables were filled. Two. 3 minutes and some huffing. 2 tables.

We sat down. The server, one who I'd never had the pleasure, or displeasure of dealing with assisted us. I've been there and my friends hadn't, so I began by advising them of how the Melting Pot works. I'm excited... this place rocks... usually. Server lady wasn't too happy with that. She was short, to the point and didn't have the usual 'Melting Pot' attitude, which is generally great.

The first course came, and she quietly prepared the food as if she'd rather be on a warm beach in Mexico. She advised "Let me know if you need more of anything and I can bring more." Perfect. 4 of us, we all didn't eat all day cause this place fills you... we're gonna need more. Poof. She vanished. Where did she go? Does anyone here know cause I sure didn't.

She arrives after we've cleaned our plates and ate the entire bowl of cheese. Whew... saved by the only thing you can't refill. But what if we wanted more?

Salads, which were supposed to come 'half-way through' arrived about 10 minutes after finishing course one.

Course two... great. Yeah! Now we're talking! Finish our salads and bam,... eat time. No.. wrong again.

The broth boiled... and boiled. Boiled some more... and even boiled more after that. Where did she go again? YouTube? Facebook? Bueller?

Here she comes again. Toss the things in and off she goes. Damn, this food is awesome... but crap... we blew through all the vegetables! We need more... server?..... hello?

She came back... after about 30 minutes when we finished course three. The manager, who's name escapes me came by and awkwardly introduced himself to us, but didn't ask how the service was or if he could do anything for us at that point in time. Yeah, I know I could have asked him but I was too focused on eating whatever was in front of me and forgot. Woops. Good thing I don't get paid to take care of tables of people who expect a certain level of service.

Course three done, here comes course four.

Here... comes course four.

Course four?

Chocolate, finally. It was great.. off without a hitch. Time for the bill. The... bill. *AHEM...* the bill? Sorry to pull you away from the busy tables I didn't see you attending to at all.. but finally it arrives.

The point of this rather straightforward review is simply this. Tonight a young man was working and served the table behind us. I've had the pleasure of having him serve myself and my friends (I keep bringing different people because I respect this restaurant) and he is passionate about his job. He believes that even though these poor people are paid crap to do their job, he will do it to the best of his ability. He makes you smile and he does it proper. Others who I've had are the same. This woman..was...terrible. If that was my first time there, despite the quality of the food I'd never go back. Damn good thing it's way out of my way.

Manager, if you read these reviews - you'll know exactly who I am. I don't know what happened this time and if it wasn't for the quality of the food, and not based solely on service I would avoid your restaurant indefinitely. Complete disappointment.

9/10 isn't bad. We'll see what happens on time 11. Happy eating folks.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Thetravellinman12
Jim M, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for the honest feedback and for being such a loyal guest. I sincerely apologize you were disappointed in your last experience. I would love an opportunity to speak with you directly and make it up to you. You can reach me anytime on my cell phone at 716-432-6640.

Jim Materese
Owner
Toronto, Canada
“Nice way to celebrate an anniversary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Celebrated anniversary and the staff were awesome, they offered us a free glass of champagne with dessert to toast. This was our first time eating here and to be honest the menu is confusing and I really did not like the fact that I had to cook my own food. Small portions as well. Quality of meat, seafood, vegetables, salad, etc... was satisfactory at best. For what you are paying, go to a real restaurant. If I went here again I would stick with the cheese fondue and dessert fondue that's all! The bread was stale. To be honest I am not sure if I would return again.

• Visited December 2013