“Not bad, but I don't get the hype on other reviews.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Buffalo
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three days on a family visit to the Buffalo area. We stayed at the nearby Hyatt Regency prior to this, which is also OK. I was really really looking forward to staying at this Embassy Suites because of all the good Tripadvisor reviews, but frankly I was disappointed. I'm wondering whether its really just relative...that perhaps Buffalo being a smaller, less-visited city, my expectations are too high. Anyway, here's the deal.

I'm a Hilton Gold member. Started off with them not asking about anyone's HHonors status, and me waiting behind two other persons to check in a single check in line. There was a HHonors sign at one of the positions at the desk, but no one was there. I was there about 5pm on the Sunday prior to Labor day Monday.

Check in was pretty smooth and we went to the elevator. Found that you must slide a key card EVERY time, ALL day to get to your floor. I'm sorry, but that's really inconvenient and really makes one wonder about the area and the policing of the hotel. Hotels in bigger cities like Toronto, Las Vegas, and San Francisco rarely require this, and if so generally after 11pm.

Unpacked in room....great size, liked the fridge, microwave, and sitting area, and had an OK view to the Hampton Inn next door. Then we decided to go check out the "Manager's Reception" we were enthusiastically told about at check in. What a mess! Kids everywhere, junk snacks (chips/pretzels/salsa) and it was a MESS! It looked like the kids had a mini chip fight in front of the bowls and there was no staff doing anything about it. We turned right around and left.

As I passed the front desk again, I heard the same clerk telling a woman about the "great view south toward downtown" she'd have. I don't know her HHhonors status, but was a bit miffed that I didn't get the better view as a Gold member. There's supposed to be a benefit in spending all your money at one chain of hotels.

Breakfast...where do I begin??? SO haphazard the first day...it greatly varied from day to day for the three mornings we were there. I'm not an egg fan so the made to order omelets really didn't do much for me. I looked at the other items and saw only scrambled eggs and then all carbs...no breakfast meat at all. I asked at the omelet station and they said something to each other like "oh not yet?" We were there at 8:30 on purpose (breakfast having started at 7:30) because of a notice asking guests to show up earlier as lots of people come after 9am. So you come early, and don't get the same buffet? Not OK. I went to Starbucks down the street instead. Second day...there was breakfast sausage and french toast. But they were barely warm at all! I ate a few pieces and went to Starbucks again. Third day...made brunch plans elsewhere but stopped in to grab a cup of tea....and they have bacon and pancakes. AND they're actually hot this time. This varying level of service is totally unacceptable and even with the bacon and pancakes, really wasn't that exciting. I don't get the hype about this breakfast at all. Even the tea and coffee were cheap, off label products.

Housekeeping: 2nd day they forgot to do anything with the room so we came back to our used towels still on the floor. Had to call for towel service.

There were some good things. I liked the beds, the size of the rooms, and that the hotel is new. But honestly, I was hoping to find a new hotel to stay at in Buffalo but instead of staying here again, I'd book back at the Hyatt first, where I generally have to pay for breakfast...they do it that much better. I was only somewhat complimentary on my recent review of the Hyatt but I did prefer it to this hotel. Yes it looks nice, but really needs some work on service. Being pleasant...and they all were...doesn't cut it if the service isn't good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjdeperro
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Buffalo

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Hotel is very neat and clean with a modern decor that is still comfortable. The service was pretty good but there was not a huge rush at times when our party was in a bit of a hurry. A complimentary breakfast buffet is well above average with fresh cut fruit, an omelet cook, pastries, and breakfast meats.

The rooms are nice suites which were very comfortable though the sitting room tended to seem dark compared to the bedroom. This was our 3rd stay at the Hotel and I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rthomaswhite
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A welcoming staff was gracious enough to accommodate a very early check-in. Complimentary cocktails and made to order breakfast was included all weekend. The rooms are exceptionally spacious with large windows, ample seating, and ambient lighting. Loved the wet bar with lots of storage. On Saturday and Sunday there was live entertainment in the lobby lounge. There is also a complimentary shuttle, should you need a ride to and from the airport. The wedding was held at the magnificent Statler City venue. I would return just to attend another event there, and I would stay at Embassy Suites again. The only reason I won't give 5 stars is because I had to report a soiled duvet.

Room Tip: The 4th floor facing the Hamton Inn was nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

One of the nicest Embassy Suites that I have ever stayed in. Rooms was large and clean. The staff very friendly and helpful. The manager's party was below average but the breakfast was fantastic.
Great location and easy access to 190. Also you can walk to many fine restaurants and bars in the area. A must stay if you are in the Buffalo area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ragu_ON
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stay at these hotel when I come to Buffalo for business. The rooms are nice and large. Good location. Great breakfast and awesome free happy hour. the personnel is courteous and polite. Will come back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gladys B
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have not seen a better selected, trained, and responsive staff since staying at the Four Seasons. Room was nice, light, provided special allergy free room at no extra cost. Front desk and everybody else super helpful. Highly recommended. Superb value. Front desk rep went out of his way to find me an ipod charger. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great place. Nitpicking - tv slowly changes channels. But all the channels were crystal clear. Also, because the a/c vents have a deflector - the air comes out slowly. The hotel is downtown (few blocks off hwy. 33). Can jump on 33 drive straight to airport, Galleria mall, many restaurants, etc. We had a great meal at the hotel restaurant (expensive), but the quality was there. Big rooms, big hot tub. We will be back, again and again.

• Stayed: August 2012