“Beautiful Hotel Terrible Staff”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Buffalo
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I'd have to say this may have been one of the nicer hotels I've stayed at, but by far the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I have never written a review of any kind, good or bad, but after what I experience and watched this weekend; I am unable to keep quit. I arrived on the 13th at night in the rain and wind, with my wife two children and mother in-law. There was a valet worker standing at his post not willing to come over and help with the luggage. I had to walk over to this person ask him for a luggage cart, unload everything myself while this guy literally stud there and watched us. I am a blue collar man myself and have no problem getting my hands dirty, but come on. Next on the part of my mother in-law, she rented an extra room as a hospitality suite for my sister in-laws wedding and prior to check out an employee went in to the room and stole her belongings. And of course the hotel was unable to do anything about it. Next the valet again. At the end of the trip with it still raining out, I watched the valet attendant park my father in-laws vehicle in the rain instead of under the vestibule, then watched this guy watch my father in-law walk his 80 year old mother in-law to the car in the rain. There were about 6 other incidences of poor customer service I experienced, but I think you get the point. What a bunch of jerks. They need to completely re-staff that hotel. I'll never stay there again and plan on telling everyone I know what these people think of their guests.

2  Thank Mike R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We took my mother on a shopping trip to Buffalo and stayed in a King Suite. Unfortunately we sure didn't luck out on the suite! The very narrow room with the pull-out couch was very uninspired. No window. No space. Staring only at TV screen and no art on the wall across from the couch. When the bed was pulled out, you couldn't walk from one side to the other. If you have a third (or fourth) person, make sure you get executive size! (We tried for that, but weren't able to get one.) It was also quite loud both above us and adjacent to us, impairing sleep quality. Complimentary made-to-order eggs were great. Food in dining room? gnocchi & crabcakes terrific, steak very overcooked but they did try to make it right. Best asset of this hotel? The staff! We were VERY impressed at their cheerfulness, competence and attentiveness - even on Sunday morning's flurry of complimentary breakfast overload.

Room Tip: If you want to use the living area as a bedroom, go for the executive size!!!
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed here one night Oct !5 with our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandkids. Beautiful hotel, clean, bright quiet and so accomodating! Had a choice of a room on the 2nd or 7th floor. Pool is on 2nd floor so chose that floor. Great spot - room right next to the pool. Had the complimentary b'fast next morning and it was wonderful - hot, great selection and best of all included in the price of the room. This will be our hotel everytime we're in Buffalo!

Room Tip: Be sure to take advantage of the valet service. No parking at the hotel so apparently you take your...
Reviewed October 15, 2011

After staying in a run-down Comfort Inn right outside of Buffalo a few days earlier, the suite that was provided for the same price as the small Comfort Inn room was great. The room was updated, with a little kitchenette, a comfortable pull-out couch and a beautiful, large bathroom. The breakfast which was included in the price was very nice with great selection, including lots of fresh fruit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed a Sunday night after a Bill's game and Monday was Columbus Day. We were hoping to grab a beer and some good food around the area. Almost everything was closed on Sunday. We should've ordered a pizza and went down to the hotel bar. Instead, we walked around town: Bada Bing was packed. We ended up at D'arcy McGees. Long story short-- do not go there. EVER. There was only 1 other group of people there and our food took over 2 hours to come out (apparently the other party's food took that long too because one of the customers started YELLING at the waitress for disappearing and giving "death stares"....) It was just all around awful. I'd leave a review there but they don't have a page-- how convenient.

Any way, back to Embassy Suites: They have a classy-feel to the lobby and very nice workout facilitiy. We didn't use the indoor pool but we went in to check it out. It was blazing hot in there. There is a pool and hottub (both felt warm). There were people in both of them when we were there-- one crew of 30-some year old men with a box of Bud Light Lime next to them. It didn't offend me-- I'd join the party if I brought my suit.

Our room had a spacious seperate living room w/flat screen to bask in the Bill's highlight reel. We didn't use the pull out couch but it was there. There was a clean air machine on the floor in the bedroom-- which was great to drown out snoring if you're splitting the room. There is a door to seperate the 2 double beds and the living room.

The breakfast was really good the next day. The parking was simple... $10-- they add it to your room cost. All in all, great stay but wished the town wasn't so dead.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2011

What a great experience! The hotel is very modern and updated - gorgeous decor and very clean throughout. The staff couldn't have been friendlier and more accomodating. Rooms were stocked with every need or want, and the beds were fabulous. You can't beat the complimentary happy hour, which had some of the best sangria I've had. Our group loved the location, since it's near all the local bars and restaurants. Was wonderful to be able to go out on the town and easily walk back to our room. If we ever return to Buffalo I'll definately stay here again, and our experience here has made us much more receptive to staying at Embassy Suites properties in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This is a really lovely hotel in downtown Buffalo. The rooms are huge, clean and updated. I stayed in mid-September and the weather was fantastic, so I had a great view from my room. Check-in was easy and the restaurant for dinner was quite good (the chef even stopped by my table). My only issue, and this appears to be a problem with Embassy Suites in general, is the breakfast. While the food is good and plentiful, there are so many people crowded into the room, it makes it hard to move around with your plate, hot coffee, etc.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor if possible, you won't regret the view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business