“They could film a horror movie here”

and 1 more site!
Lenox Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Toronto, Canada
“They could film a horror movie here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

A friend of ours booked this hotel, so my husband followed suit. I then checked it out on Trip advisor and he was concerned as well. He checked around for other hotels in the area but couldn't find a room. The bonus: free parking and good location for partying in Allentown. . The lobby is lovely until you get to the front desk - not that you would hang out there. Our friends said there was no carpet in their room - like someone had rolled up a dead body in it and removed it. We had a hell of a time finding our room as the room numbers aren't in any kind of order. There were dark stains on the carpet throughout the hall (blood?). Halls were kind of creepy - painted an awful green and no art or anything to take your eyes from the wires hanging along the ceiling. Room was a decent size but stunk so had to turn on the noisy, in-window air conditioner. Only there long enough to get changed and go out thankfully. Fortunately were well oiled upon our return so sleep came quickly. Woke up in the morning to people talking in the hall - walls very thin. Friend said they had a great view out their window. Ours was too dirty to see out of. I found the paintjob in the bathroom curious until I realized it was peeling paint. It did have a mini fridge and microwave, but decor was atrocious.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn next door!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank tmcdee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is up front and honest about being the oldest operating hotel in Buffalo. All of these bad reviews must be from people who went for the cheapest price they could find and didn't bother to do their homework before booking their room.

This hotel offers rooms by the night, week, month or year. There are many suites that are people's apartments/homes. This is not your standard hotel experience and we thought it was great.

There is very little about this place that can be considered "Modern". I loved the fact that I had a real key to my room. There was no goofing around with "the computer" didn't set my key right or any of the usual antics that always happen to me with the key-cards in other places. We did have a 32" HDTV in the room and a fridge. What more do you want? This is Buffalo, not Paris.

The shower was our biggest challenge. Original 1890's fixtures (!) aside, the old building had trouble getting a good mix of hot and cold water up to the 8th floor. Our shower was mostly hot water with a slight touch of cold that made it almost bearable. This is the only real complaint we have about our experience at the Lenox. The five foot tall window IN THE SHOWER was interesting and offered an amazing view of the city. We weren't brave enough to open the "window curtain" while showering, for fear of frightening the neighbours in the side wings of the hotel, who would have had no problem watching either of us in the shower if they were so inclined.

The ancient elevator is no joke. It takes forever to get to the 8th floor but it does offer plenty of time to chat with the friendly locals who live here on your way up.

I would have been happier if the Lenox was a few blocks closer to the downtown core of Buffalo but for the rates compared to the rest of the hotels in town even with the cab rides we took out at night we still ended up saving a lot by staying here instead of say, the Holiday Inn or The Adam's Mark.

I would have given an "excellent" rating but I think we paid about 20% too much to stay here. I expect rates during the winter will be more reasonable and more in line with the experience that the Lenox offers.

Room Tip: Great unique view of downtown Buffalo from the 8th floor, but getting cold water in the sink or the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hockeyfan S
Berlin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we are from Germany) were on an adventure trip through he US - and what we experienced in Buffalo was really a special kind of `adventure`.
We tried to get a room in a different hotel without booking beforehand. That place was full but a nice neighbour offered to bring us to the Lenox, which he described as `bohemian`. The price of 123 $ a night made us believe it were a better middleclass-hotel, so we took the room.

The lady at the check in was unfriendly and unhelpful. When we arrived at our floor, it wasn`t easy at all to find the room, because the numbers seem to have no system at all and there are no helpful signs. Instead there were loose cables hangig from the wall and smelly, dirty carpets.

The room itself had an even worse carpet, it was so disgusting, we wouldn`t even walk on it without wearing shoes. The furniture was old, partly broken, the shower turned from icecold to steaming hot suddenly while I showered, the bathroom was dirty (including old water damage on the wall which was only pained over), the fridge full of ice (on the walls, not the nce kind) and the noise of who-knows-what kind of machine outside made it really hard to sleep.
When we looked at the hotel from outside the next morning, we saw that the whole building was poorly kept, there was an old bar which seemed to have closed an eternity ago, there was not one flower or anything nice. To make a long story short: the people that lead this hotel seem to have given up years ago, there's no love in it and even the most basic standards (like cleanliness!!) are not reached. For 123$ a night, this is a slap in your face. If you have a choice, go elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mojohanna

Travelers are raving about these Buffalo hotels

Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm a bit puzzled by all the negative reviews here. This place isn't fancy or very modern, but it is what it is - a two-star hotel that provides basic accommodations. Our room was reasonably spacious, and was quite clean. Bed was comfortable, and they have good water pressure. The location is good, and they have free parking. I really couldn't find anything to complain about, nor anything to rave about. Would stay here again, especially given the fact that price was much better than anything else near downtown Buffalo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank mosfet32
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I can't say it was horrible, its just old, built in 1898 and its shows. The room was clean and the beds were typicle hard hotel beds. The bathroom was old, basic black and white tile. Everything was clean, and its was just OK, with a few odd aspects. People live here year round, so you are sharing the hotel with residents which was different. They have old fashioned window a/c units which is loud, but i understand most Buffalo homes have window untis because it rarely gets hot in Buffalo. This hotel has a good location if you want to be in that part of the city, and its has off street parking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mscri
Arlington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! The hotel was in incredibly ill repair and the other clientele were frightening. I was afraid I wouldn't make it out of there! The room was old, beat up, dirty, there was a huge spider web and spider clearly visible in the corner that obviously should have been cleaned. The walls were paper thin and it was extremely loud until about 2am both nights I was there - it was like being in a college dorm, noisewise. There was no hairdryer, no shampoo, no conditioner, no hangers, no iron, and no Do Not Disturb sign. I tried not to touch anything. Riding up in the elevator the second night another (male) guest saw my room key and said "I've stayed in that room before." I feared being attacked all night. Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo