“Buffalo / Niagara Falls visit”

Hostel Buffalo-Niagara
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Buffalo / Niagara Falls visit”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Wanted to stay at a hostel for the first time ever to see what it is like. Turns out the hostels in the US are a little different than those in Europe or so I'm told. I enjoyed the process of booking with hostel buffalo. Same girl who booked my resv over the phone a couple months early was actually there most of my stay including my check in. Very very nice. However I wish I had been told about all the MAJOR construction around the hotel on Main Street around all the theaters!! It was very difficult and uncomfortable getting to the front door of the hostel. Had to actually carry my suitcase because I couldn't even roll it with all the sidewalks torn up. Finally, front door not lit up very well when I come "home" late at night could not see the keypad at all to enter the code to enter the building

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cancun
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed here when I attended a concert at the First Niagara center which is very close to the hostel. The hostel has an excellent location in downtown Buffalo and the bus stop to go the the airport is tight across the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the beds are small bunk beds but very comfortable, has an excellent night's sleep. Definitely recommended for those who are travelling on a budget!

Room Tip: The female dorms have 4 bunk beds, the private room has two
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here twice this summer, once with my girlfriend on a trip, and again alone as I was moving to Buffalo. I've been in hostels all around the world and this is really near the top of my list.

It's a good location, right on the subway line, and near a lot of buses. It also isn't too far from the bus terminal.

The staff is so friendly. They gave us lots of tips about the area, and one of the staff members even showed me around Allentown when his shift was over.

The rooms are tidy. The private rooms have separate twin beds, so great for groups of 2-4 friends but not ideal for couples.

The common areas are very well equipped, good wifi, and the kitchen is well stocked with pots, plates, etc. It's really conducive to getting travelers to socialize, which is key for a hostel.

The only bummer was the construction outside, it's a little noisy in the morning during the week but the construction should be done by the end of winter 2013/14.

Room Tip: Feel free to ask the staff about local spots, they are very knowledgeable. And check the local ind...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewELP
London
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here the night after my flight into Buffalo before heading into Canada. The hostel has free WiFi a good common room and kitchen and is in a good location. Staff are very friendly. Food is available further into town. This place is ideal as a one-niter after a long flight.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank F14-Roberts
Chicago
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hostel Buffalo-Niagara for 3 nights. Rooms were spic n span with AC, new linens and sheets were provided. The common kitchen has all possible facilities - Microwave, gas stove, utensils, refrigerator, etc. They even have a common lounge for hanging out with friends. Overall a pleasant and affordable stay in downtown Buffalo.

Room Tip: If you are 5 or 6, you could request for a common dorm if you like (specially for students).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank nathanys
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed at Hostel Buffalo-Niagara a number of times. It has always been a great place to stay and you cannot beat $25 a night for the downtown location at any hotel. On my last trip to Buffalo with a friend, we had the room entirely to ourselves. This is a very quiet hostel and I do not see many people staying there which is a shame because Buffalo has a lot to offer a traveler. Buffalo is an amazing city with great architecture, parks, museums, and friendly people. It is nice quiet place to visit from Toronto where I am from.

I highly recommend this hostel to people coming to visit Buffalo. Be sure to e-mail the hostel if you are checking in outside of the hours of 8am to 10:30am or 5:00pm to 10:30pm. On my last trip, we arrived late due to time at the border crossing and a mess-up with the bus. Unfortunately, we had to check-in around 5pm, which meant carrying our bags for the day because the bus station has no lockers. The hostel is very good about giving you the key-code to enter and do a self-check-in outside of office hours and settle later with payment. I have done this a couple times in the past.

Room Tip: I recommend requesting a room on the east side of the building since it is quieter. We did this on m...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Toronto_Canada_Mark
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Don't stay here. Rooms were not cleaned from previous visitors and there was vomit under the sheets in my bed. There isn't anything exciting to do in Buffalo but it's a good stop over point when travelling from New York to Niagara Falls. I would avoid the stop if you could.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo