“Rib Eye Sandwich”

Buffalo, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rib Eye Sandwich”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I have been a lifelong Buffalo resident and had never been to Ulrich's. Since I am a Catholic, and Ulrich’s is notorious for their fish, we went for fish twice during Lent this year. When we went for the fish fry, one of the non-Catholics in my party ordered the rib eye sandwich. Three of us who were there remarked on how good the rib eye looked and how we would have to go back when Lent was over to try it out. Unfortunately, we went back this past Friday when the rib eye sandwich was a “special” for the night. Two people in my party ordered the rib eye sandwich. I can’t begin go tell you how disappointed we both were with the sandwich. After thinking about it for weeks we were looking forward to an outstanding sandwich. Much to our dismay, EACH AND EVERY BITE OF BOTH SANDWICHES were nothing but fat and grizzle. The toppings for the sandwich (spinach (cold) , blue cheese (tasted artificial) and diced chunks of sweet potatoes (cold and tasteless)) were also very disappointing. To me and my friend, the rib eye we got didn’t even LOOK the same as the sandwich our friend had. Very disappointing.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Roselle B

Fort Myers, Florida
“lost the Taste and Touch of real German Food over the Generations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I am German and Travel all over the Country due to my Job. I am looking for German Food in every Town I am in. Went with my Spouse to Ulrich's and sampled some of the Menu Items. The Menu look's German but the taste is not. The Chef need's to do some homework and study the recipes and traditionally used Spices.

• Visited March 2012
new york
“Food Not Consistent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

The ambiance is good old German/English type pub, but the food needs a bit more work. Went here on a Saturday night the place was busy but not packed, Live Irish music made a great atmosphere. I had the soup special seafood which was very good and for a main course they had a special on Wiener Schnitzel (traditional Austrian/German dish made with boneless pork thinned with a hammer breaded and lightly fried), normally a very tender dish. However, this is not what I got, instead I got a thick slab of pork over-breaded fried and burnt around the edges, I tried to eat it but gave up after a few bites. Our waitress (June) seem to know that what I got was not a true Wiener Schnitzel she was very helpful and offered me a free desert which I took, a very generous portion of German chocolate cake. My friends started with sharing clams in a delicious broth, for the main course one order salmon and the other the Wiener schnitzel special. The salmon was over seasoned (salt) and the waitress got the second Schnitzel mixed up and came with pork tender loin, but seeing the poor quality of my Wiener schnitzel decided to keep the order which turned out to be quite good. I have eaten here before and the food was good but they need to get consistent with their food or customers will go elsewhere.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank northknight3
Buffalo, New York
“Historically Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Ulrich's has never disappointed me. I ate there just tonite and had a mixed plate of German Food. It was awesome. It's got a great selection of beers to wash down the food always to. Love the fact they have a count down clock to St. Patricks day because this is where I had my corn beef last year to. It's a great historical restaurant in down town Buffalo that should be given more credit then a place like the anchor bar. The food is always great and the service even better

• Visited February 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Great German food inside an Irish bar! The bar itself is beautiful. The food was fanastic and the beer was good. I was in Buffalo for 5 days for the bar exam and made time for Ulrichs twice during my stay. I sat at the bar both times as I was travelling alone, and the staff were very welcoming, as were the locals. I had dropped in for lunch the day before the exam and had been encouraged to come back when it was all over for a whisky, which I did ! Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2011