“Sent by Triple D”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The moment I saw this place on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, I knew I had to try it. The Lasagna is heavenly and not to mention MASSIVE.
I'll admit I had my doubts about the cooks ability to thoroughly cook a meatball of that size but was pleasantly surprised to taste a well cooked, perfectly seasoned meatball.
As someone who lives off of homemade tomato sauce I can't tell you how great it is to eat
at a restaurant that serves sauce that tastes like it came out of one of my own jars.
The only negative I would say is that the atmosphere lacks an intimate feel and the first impression I got when I walked in was that this place has an identity crisis, it doesn't know if its a sports bar or casual restaurant.
It can be crammed at times and there are come tables in some undesirable or tight locations.
However the service was always friendly and accommodating.

1  Thank Adistef1

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have travelled all over North America and throughout Europe and Great Britain. My favourite cuisine is Italian. Mulberry Cafe is easily among the top Italian restaurants anywhere. I've now been there a couple of times and have been amazed at both the quality of the food and the value. The fact that the restaurant sits in the middle of a non-descript residential community 'off the beaten path' only adds to the charm.

I first learned of Mulberry Cafe on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. The episode is worth looking up on Flavor Town a site that features Triple D restaurants.

My wife, daughter and I visited on a Friday night. We really should have reserved a table in advance but still enjoyed just hanging about at the bar while we waited for our table. After about 40 minutes we got seated at a good table in the back room where it is a bit more quiet than the main dining room. As an appetizer we ordered the featured zucchini blossoms stuffed with ricotta. There were two for $8.99. They were excellent-- the best I've ever had. Ever. For our mains, my wife ordered the Shrimp Diavlo at $18.99. The best pasta dish she has ever had. My daughter ordered the 16 ounce Jack West ribeye, bone-in steak at $25.99. It was cooked to perfection and came with asparagus and what my daughter said were the best frites ever. I was amazed she was able to eat the whole steak. For my main, I ordered the cheese ravioli ($13.99). It was amazingly fresh and the ricotta filling in the ravioli was astounding. The tomato sauce was alive with flavour. It also came with Mulberry's signature meatball. It's about the size of a baseball. Again, like everything else we ate, it was just fantastic. All of our meals came with a very fresh garden salad and we enjoyed the balsamic vinagrette dressing. Bread also came with the meal and like everything else, was very tasty and fresh

Mulberry Cafe serves giant portions of food. We had little room for dessert but my wife and daughter shared the Nutella cannoli ($4.29). They really enjoyed it too.

As we had drinks at the bar, we just had water with our meal. The total cost, before taxes, was only $78.57. Considering we did not have wine or other drinks with our meal, our final bill was a bit on the lower side of what the average cheque would be. Regardless, Mulberry Cafe is pretty much the best Italian food around and it's all for a bargain price.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had dinner on a recent Sunday night. They had a number of dinner specials for the evening. My husband had the Pork Shank and I chose the Salmon wrapped in priosciutto. The pork came with sweet potato gnocchi. He also ordered a side of pasta to try out their famous sauce. When our meals came both were very generous. The pork was very tender and the gnocchi light and fluffy. My salmon was perfectly cooked with the priosciutto wrapped around the fish and very crispy. Our only complaint was the sauce with the pasta. There was a harsh vinegar taste to the sauce. Overall - a side dish would not stop us from coming back and enjoying Mulberry Cafe.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have been at Mulberry many times- and we are always overwhelmed by the meatballs. Excellent Italian food- we will try for lunch some day.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had reservations and were seated immediately. Our order was taken quickly and appetizers arrived very quickly . The huge meatball was outstanding. Our entrees (lasagna) arrived quickly and were hot. The food was delicious and I would go again in a minute.