“Top quality trail....for the well prepared.”

Ranked #13 of 17 things to do in Medora
More attraction details
Owner description: A 120-mile biking, hiking and horseback riding trail.
Minnesota
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 293 helpful votes
“Top quality trail....for the well prepared.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Whether on horse, on foot or on a mountain bike, the Maah Daah Hey Trail is simply an awesome experience. But I will caveat it with you need to be prepared. After it rains, the trail can have some challenging spots but if you are prepared for a remote trail, it is quite beautiful, easily navigated and well marked and well worth trying. Just be prepared for the weather and able to care for yourself. If you are into that kind of scenario, you will not be disappointed. I only wish I could have experienced a longer segment of the trail than I was able.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank BorealForestDweller

Beach, North Dakota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Maah Daah Hey of my dreams”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've walked a number of segments of the trail, and dream of doing the entire trail some day. Beautiful, quiet, intriguing.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Life_pleases_me
Watford City, North Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“IMBA sez "epic" - so say I!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Remote, challenging, rewarding & breathtaking - both scenicly AND aerobically! Bring plenty of water, sunscreen and calories - you will use them all. Detailed maps are helpful (Nat'l Park Service - North & South Units of Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park, Dakota Cyclery in Medora, Long X Visitor Center in Watford City). Trust the "turtle posts" (unless they are missing or "cow-tipped") and remember you can USUALLY see the next post from the preceding one. This is about as untamed as it gets - not ALL of North Dakota is flat, as you will soon discover.

6 Thank David U
Menomonie, Wisconsin
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Epic ride with unique wilderness!”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Maah Daah Hey apparently is a Mandan Indian phrase meaning "an area that has been or will be around for a long time." Given the trail length (100 miles), diversity, variable challenge, and fun we had on it, I hope it is around for a very, very long time.

I had the opportunity to ride this trail with my brother-in-law, 11 year old son and 10 year old niece. We had logged some miles throughout the summer so we were in shape for it which I'm sure helped a bit. We rode different sections over the course of a 3 day stay and enjoyed the varying topography, scenery and sublime singletrack.

The trail is easy to follow, watching for signposts with turtles emblazened on them helped guide our way. We started in Medora and would venture off doing longer and longer sections of the trail. It's usually rather rolling terrain that isn't too technical except for some rocky areas or loose sand spots. A really nice ride was from Buffalo Gap campground to Medora, as it covered grasslands as well as buttes, and we felt even more "out there" even though the trail does not seem crowded whatsoever.

We were always mindful of the weather as if it rains I've heard the bentonite clay adheres to tires making it challenging to motor through. So far, this was my fourth time on the trail and have not had this problem yet though. Some people may not like the "meadow muffins" (cow dung) that occasionally is on the trail as the trail gets used by range cattle and horses, but this was few and far between.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Docoutside
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Beautiful but tough.”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Beautiful trail, but tough. It was wet the first day, and that is really tough--muddy, slippery,a nd the tires get big because the mud really sticks. Had to clean it off with a power washer at Dakota Cyclery Bey after that, but pretty bumpy im many spots, and it was tough climbing because the step like bumps messed up your rhythm. The trail could definitely use some maintenence, but they are developing a new section of trail to the south and apparently putting the resources there this year, 2010.
Dakota Cyclery provides great advice and shuttling (as well as bikes if you need them). Talk to them if you plan to ride the trail.

3 Thank anigre