“Wonderful hotel, a little lacking in extras....”
Review of Rough Riders Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medora
Rough Riders Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I really hope to come back to this hotel during the summertime when it's during a busier season...

I came here for a work holiday party last weekend. The hotel was paid for, so I can't say many bad things about the stay.

The hotel, on the inside and outside, looks very nice. So nice, rustic, western, old-fashioned (like old-looking, but nice). I love all the history tidbits scattered throughout the hotel, the library, the town itself is beautiful even during the off-season.
I guess when I arrived at our hotel room I was hoping for something...I dunno. It seemed a little lacking. Like the rest of the hotel had this gorgeous rustic-looking feel about it. Then you get to the room, and it's just....meh. And no bathtub, only a shower? Not cool in my book. Especially on a cold winter night, and no hot tub? I was really wanting to be over at the American Inn that night.
I'm sure these amenities don't matter in the hot summer, when business is really going. This is why I'd like to come back here and stay during the summer, rather than the offseason.
I'm sure this explains why there was very little breakfast. We had a "continental" breakfast. Want to know what that consists of here, in Medora, at a nice expensive hotel? Coffee, juice, muffins, and fruit. I don't care whether it's January or July, you do NOT do that to your guests at a nice hotel like this.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katens27

Reviewed November 30, 2013

It's a lovely, rustic-style hotel with a library and restaurant in the lobby.

I stayed in the room where Teddy Roosevelt stayed, which was lovely with a good bed (a little soft for me), good towels and toiletries in the nice bathroom.

Medora is a sweet, old fashioned, very small town. Everything in town is in walking distance.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ThePackedBag
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were given a gift card for Medora for a wedding present. We stayed in this hotel. The room was absolutely wonderful. The most comfortable bed. Excellent service. Great restaurant. Charming atmosphere.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms are sealed units - you cannot open the windows. Air is continually blown into the room and you must trust that their equipment is thoroughly maintained. The noise of the air conditioner is constant, intrusive and never stops - it only gets louder periodically to heat or cool the room. The restaurant looked so inviting we were so looking forward to eating there. The manager brought the main course before we had finished our salads - the main course was greasy and uneatable - we were to stay 2 nights - we cancelled the second night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Betty N
Reviewed October 21, 2013

It's spendy! Min $100 a night pretty much, it's a beautiful hotel, modern, loved the room. Too bad the staff is rude! I was awoken in early am by knocks of house keeping, i was a late Ck in so was upset to be woken up, yelled still sleeping. They went away, then not 10mins later again housekeeping knocking waking me up! Was mad. Finally when I did leave the room I told housekeeping I was upset, she said I should have put do not disturb sign out, guess what! I didn't have one, my room didn't have one so I got a fake sorry and oh we'll..

Checked out, older guy asked how my stay was, said ok till this am when I was awoken by housekeeping. I was a bit peeved. He said oh we'll sorry hope your day gets better. That was it.

No I'll be sure to make sure all rooms have a do not disturbed or any real apology.

I stay in hotels to get a good night sleep, not to be awoken by housekeeping.

Disapointed in the staff!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jlbtrails
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had a business meeting last week and I did not know what to expect in Medora, ND. What a wonderful place to stay! Everything about this hotel was incredible. Since we stayed after the summer season was over, the hotel restaurant and bar were not open (I wish they would have been because they looked nice also). We at dinner at the Little Missouri and the food there was very good.

I would stay in this hotel if I am ever in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank marc j
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is anything but 'rough' LOL. From the outside, you would never suspect how upscale the rooms (in the Tower) truly are. The walk in shower with the branding iron symbol tiles (check out the visitor center at TRNP for the background on the symbols), the super comfortable beds, the cleanliness, I could go on. Couldn't resist buying the "Teddy" bear, dressed in rough rider garb with TR glasses (that was sitting strategically in one of the chairs) as a souvenir.
Did not check out the restaurant as we were up early and out late visiting the park. Lobby area was clean with a nice sitting area, library, computer and coffee. Only negative was the lack of designated hotel parking. We had to park on the street as the little lot was full. Also, our room had a view overlooking the neighborhood which, while quiet, had me preferring to keep the blinds closed.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Tower section.