“Very unexpected surprise”
Review of Rough Riders Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medora
Rough Riders Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very unexpected surprise”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We entered this small town to our amazement at the setting, history and great restaurant at this hotel. When I booked the reservation, I was surprised to find that my first choice for a one night stay was booked so we altered our plans and was also surprised at the rate but the property and room where worth every cent. From the internet and outside photo's I was unsure of what we would get, but the room and restaurant where both a 4 star. When in Medora, don't miss the Teddy Roosevelt National Park!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whitebear134

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I took a high plains road trip and stayed one night at Rough Riders. A terrifically new and appointed room. Very comfortable. Bathroom had a cavernous tile shower.
Weather was cold and rainy, so we lounged in front of the lobby's ginormous fireplace.
Since it was pre-season, Medora was a ghost town.
We were looking forward to going to Theodore's Dining Room (in the hotel) but it was closed (Monday). Only two restaurants were open. Nearby one had a picked-over and unappetizing looking buffet, so we walked over to Boots bar and grill. It's a cowboy/biker/tourist bar and grill, so the vibe was loud, but not rowdy. A multi-gnerational family celebrated a birthday nearby. Kids scampering around.
Burgers were great, and beer selection was impressive.
Hotel itself was great. I'd definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UpperMidwestTraveler
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Rough Rider Hotel was very nice, however there is insufficient parking for the hotel. We had to park our car in an adjacent business. I counted 14 spaces with an additional 2 handicapped. I don't know how many rooms they have but I know there are more than 14 rooms in this facility. I don't know how they got this through the planning stage with the county with so little parking.

The hotel is very nice. Our king room was clean and nicely decorated. They have a restaurant on premise. The town is very small and you can walk around the various shops. We got a $50 gift card when I made the reservations that you can spend around town. If you do not use all $50 you will have to come back to use it or lose it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LovingRetirement67
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very nice place to stay in Medora...probably the second to none. Room was clean and modern. We felt maybe the room we had stayed in "double queen" may have been a bit small for a family of four. My wife felt the bed was a bit on the firm side...personally..I thought it was just fine.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Striker701
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our room was wonderful. It had a walk-in shower that was tiled with slate. Upscale toiletries and very clean. Very comfortable beds. Just fantastic. I had stayed in the original Roughrider Hotel 30 years ago, and it was on the primitive side, but they have added a large, nice addition. We had brunch in the restaurant and the food and service were excellent. We had booked the package deal with the room, 2 tickets to the "pitchfork fondue" and the outdoor musical. The weather was great that night and the musical was the best I've seen in Medora. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the new addition.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dakotacarol
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a more historically interesting part of the Dakotas than I had ever realized. Recently renovated and spotlessly clean with some of the best service you will ever see, I only had one complaint... the air con does not turn off in the rooms. So its almost always blowing either heat or air depending on the setting. I have no idea how 24/7 air or heat saves money when an off switch would do the job, but I told Kathy the general manager and she took note of it (literally). They have thought through the renovation pretty thoroughly. Hotel right in the center of town and at the mouth of the South unit of TRNP. Great fireplace in the lobby and free coffee if you are on the go in the morning. Do eat at Theodore's at least once, but it will likely be more than that. Unless you want to go camping and have a completely different experience, this is the place to be. They even charged me less than I was expecting. Wonderful North Dakota hospitality and practically a presidential museum. The whole of Medora is filled with Presidential history. Since I enjoy travelling to see the Presidential libraries and museums, this place was an unexpected delight. Thanks to those @ Rough Riders and the TR Foundation for this gift! A real travel treasure not to be missed.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jann1953
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Renovated in the last few years, the rooms are fresh looking and nice. We had a handicap king, because that was the only king available, and it was quite roomy. I was surprised to find no electric outlets by sink in bathroom. Window treatments were blinds - room darkening drapery would have been appreciated. Room has small fridge and single cup coffee maker.This hotel has an excellent dining room, and is within walking distance of everything in the small town of Medora.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary G

Been to Rough Riders Hotel? Share your experiences!