“Historic wing vs new section”
Review of Rough Riders Hotel

Rough Riders Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Be aware when choosing a room that there are major differeces between the historic wing and the new section. The historic wing is on the second floor and has no elevator access. The rooms are all decorated differently. Our room in the historice wing was quite sparse. There was absolutely no storage in the bathroom. We ended up putting stuff on the windowsill and also put the small table top ironing board on the floor for addtional space.

We are not sure where we would have ironed since we had no horizontal surface (other than the bed) on which to put the table top ironing board. We had no dresser and no desk. The wardrobe was too short to hold anything other than shirts. It also had a couple of small drawers. Other than that we had a small table which held the phone and coffeemaker plus two very small bedside tables. We ended up putting almost everything on the floor. We felt like we were camping - for $200 a night! Plus we could hear everything from the room next door. We did ask for a refrigerator which at least gave us some horizontal surface area other than the floor.

In addition, none of the toilets in the hotel have lids. We did not like this - especially since our towel racks were located there. And the towel rack collapsed almost immediately.

We spoke to the manager, and he showed us the rooms in the new section and did offer to move us. We declined since we were nearing the end of our stay. They are a good choice if you prefer a more modern room. Also, since all the rooms in the historic wing are different some have more storage than ours did.

The location of the hotel is great, the porch and patio are lovely, and the internet access is fast and reliable - even outside. The hotel parking lot is very small, but there is plenty of street parking and another lot about a block away.

Room Tip: Room 503 - little storage, can hear through walls, comfortable king bed, huge shower with tiny shelf
3  Thank ammerammer

Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is the most upscale lodging in Medora. It is a hotel that has been in Medora since Teddy Roosevelt was a rancher in the area. It has been completely renovated and tower rooms have been added. We found it to be quiet (there is a main line railroad that runs just on the south edge of Medora) and comfortable, but expensive. We did not dine in the hotel as those prices were very much out of line. There is a privately owned resturant called the Cowboy Cafe that has good food and resonable prices, walking distance from the hotel. We could not get connected to the internet.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MZHUSKR
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were visiting the Theodore Roosevelt National Park at the end of a long day of driving, so drove the short distance to Medora hoping to find someplace suitable to stay. The Rough Riders Hotel was the nicest place in town and at this particular time oif year, also the cheapest. The rooms are small, but bear in mind, this is a renovation of a very old establishment. Everything has been beautifully restored--absolutely top of the line. There is original local art in all the rooms and plaques describing local history everywhere. Theodore's Dining Room in the hotel is an evening fine dining experience, with prices to match, so we went elsewhere, since we weren't all that hungry. We did have breakfast there the next morning, however, and it was excellent--and not too spendy. If we travel this way again, we will plan to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrstuna
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We spent one night at the Rough Riders Hotel, and I agree with previous reviews that it is somewhat overpriced. However, the rooms were very nice, it is centrally located in the town, and if we had a reason to return to Medora, I would stay there again. We were in one of the newer Tower rooms, which was comfortable, and we loved the bathroom. There is a really nice outdoor patio area off the main lobby that provided a great place for reading and relaxing. We were disappointed with the restaurant, however. High prices and limited menu options, although the wine list was pretty good. Dinner & breakfast for 2 added up to $137, and it was just OK - nothing special, although the service was excellent.

2  Thank 99Carol
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We just stayed one night at the Rough Riders Hotel and wished would could have stayed longer. Yes, it's expensive. Expect to pay about $200/night but it's historic, right downtown, has gorgeous rooms, an incredible lobby, and helpful staff. If you can afford it, stay here. I wish we could have stayed longer in Medora, but we were on our way to Yellowstone from Minnesota and just stayed the one night. We did attend the Medora Musical that evening (fun!), ate at the Cowboy Cafe beforehand (great!), and toured the adjacent Theodore Roosevelt National Park that day (do this!). Next time we will definitely stay longer! The hotel made the stay that much more special.

1  Thank Lifes2short4me
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Really lovely stay in the middle of nowhere! Beautiful hotel, fast WiFi, nice staff. The restaurant was a bit overpriced and some if the meals weren't great. Omelette was good, fresh toast was not worth the money. There are a few other places to eat around there which probably would have been better.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Collierottiemom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights in June 2011.

First of all, the location in the center of the action can't be beat.

The room was comfy and well appointed, and the service was unfailingly courteous. I had reserved tickets online for the Medora Musical and Bully, and the young lady at the service desk printed my tickets out for me upon my arrival.

I did have an issue with my Internet connection. I didn't seek help while I was there (I was leaving the next day), but after researching the issue I believe that if there was anyone on the staff with a little tech savvy, they probably could have helped me with my problem which had to do with me getting inadvertently dropped from their network.

I ate once at the restaurant. The service was fantastic, the food was erratic. Each individual dish was either sublime or pretty bad. All in all, if I am going to pay upscale prices I expect the entire experience to be superb, so that's why I only went there once.

If I ever visit Medora again, I will definitely stay at this hotel and will recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank sdtripper

Been to Rough Riders Hotel? Share your experiences!