“A jewel!”
Review of Rough Riders Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Medora
Rough Riders Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were visiting the Theodore Roosevelt National Park at the end of a long day of driving, so drove the short distance to Medora hoping to find someplace suitable to stay. The Rough Riders Hotel was the nicest place in town and at this particular time oif year, also the cheapest. The rooms are small, but bear in mind, this is a renovation of a very old establishment. Everything has been beautifully restored--absolutely top of the line. There is original local art in all the rooms and plaques describing local history everywhere. Theodore's Dining Room in the hotel is an evening fine dining experience, with prices to match, so we went elsewhere, since we weren't all that hungry. We did have breakfast there the next morning, however, and it was excellent--and not too spendy. If we travel this way again, we will plan to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrstuna
There are newer reviews for Rough Riders Hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2011

We spent one night at the Rough Riders Hotel, and I agree with previous reviews that it is somewhat overpriced. However, the rooms were very nice, it is centrally located in the town, and if we had a reason to return to Medora, I would stay there again. We were in one of the newer Tower rooms, which was comfortable, and we loved the bathroom. There is a really nice outdoor patio area off the main lobby that provided a great place for reading and relaxing. We were disappointed with the restaurant, however. High prices and limited menu options, although the wine list was pretty good. Dinner & breakfast for 2 added up to $137, and it was just OK - nothing special, although the service was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 99Carol
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We just stayed one night at the Rough Riders Hotel and wished would could have stayed longer. Yes, it's expensive. Expect to pay about $200/night but it's historic, right downtown, has gorgeous rooms, an incredible lobby, and helpful staff. If you can afford it, stay here. I wish we could have stayed longer in Medora, but we were on our way to Yellowstone from Minnesota and just stayed the one night. We did attend the Medora Musical that evening (fun!), ate at the Cowboy Cafe beforehand (great!), and toured the adjacent Theodore Roosevelt National Park that day (do this!). Next time we will definitely stay longer! The hotel made the stay that much more special.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lifes2short4me
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Really lovely stay in the middle of nowhere! Beautiful hotel, fast WiFi, nice staff. The restaurant was a bit overpriced and some if the meals weren't great. Omelette was good, fresh toast was not worth the money. There are a few other places to eat around there which probably would have been better.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Collierottiemom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights in June 2011.

First of all, the location in the center of the action can't be beat.

The room was comfy and well appointed, and the service was unfailingly courteous. I had reserved tickets online for the Medora Musical and Bully, and the young lady at the service desk printed my tickets out for me upon my arrival.

I did have an issue with my Internet connection. I didn't seek help while I was there (I was leaving the next day), but after researching the issue I believe that if there was anyone on the staff with a little tech savvy, they probably could have helped me with my problem which had to do with me getting inadvertently dropped from their network.

I ate once at the restaurant. The service was fantastic, the food was erratic. Each individual dish was either sublime or pretty bad. All in all, if I am going to pay upscale prices I expect the entire experience to be superb, so that's why I only went there once.

If I ever visit Medora again, I will definitely stay at this hotel and will recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank sdtripper
Reviewed June 20, 2011

What a great hotel, along with a little history to boot! A little on the expensive side, but the only way to stay and experience Medora. What incredible and friendly staff . . . . if you are staying in Medora - the Rough Rider Hotel is the place to be!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cruz43
Reviewed June 6, 2011

As many others have said, the newly renovated Rough Riders Hotel is a great place to stay. The lobby is obviously new, but it keeps a historical feel in the old wood, stained glass, and huge library around the fireplace.

Stayed in the tower suite - 3rd floor (Room 324), which I'd recommend both for couples looking for romance or for a small family. The bedroom itself is not huge, but it is big enough for a very comfortable king bed, two end tables, and a wardrobe. The living room has a great couch (fold out), two comfortable chairs - and a table and kitchen area (fridge, sink, cabinets, and microwave). Both rooms have flat screen televisions. The bathroom has nice, tiled rain shower (despite what other reviews have said, I felt it had fine water pressure). It's also the only suite that has a balcony (see picture of the view), accessible from the bedroom and the living area.

Even in early June, we were ahead of the season, so the restaurant and bar both had limited hours. Food in each was very good, and we had very good service.

The town of Medora is small, so most hotels (except the AmericInn) are within walking distance of everything, including the entrance & visitors center of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

The other hotels all look a bit run down (on the outside), and when we stayed the Rough Riders was only about $15 more a night - WELL worth it! (Be sure to ask for the AAA discount)

Room Tip: 324, Tower Suite - ONLY balcony!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family