“Nice, basic hotel that served us well to visit TRNP”
Review of Badlands Motel

Badlands Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed very much our trip to TRNP and the stay here. I agree with others who pointed out it's an older motel and the AC is loud, but we enjoyed it very much. There's an amazing kids playground behind the motel that the kids LOVED. My son called it the best he's ever seen! Great stay for a family trip. Bring shampoo and conditioner -- not included in the cool shower.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Badlands Motel

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Older motel, but clean with updated decor, furnishings and linens. We were given a handicap room which the front desk did not warn us when we checked in. I was very surprised since I made reservations months ago.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The rooms are older, they are clean....but we had several issues. First of all, the air conditioner was so loud, we couldn't here the t.v......complained twice, then just gave up. If you plan to wash your hair, bring your own hair dryer, none in the room. Also, for whatever reason, the phone and all lamps were unplugged.....spent 20 minutes on my knees, looking for and pulling in cords!!!!! If you decide to take in the entertainment, ie: Medora Musical and the "Pitchfork Fondue", you get a $40.00 gift card to a list of about 10 stores, which are all owned by the same people. The fellow forgot to put the money on the gift card, so when I went to use it, the woman looked at me, as though, "really, what are you trying to pull?" Had to go all the way to the desk, wait another 15 minutes for them to fix the error. Check in is painfully slow. The show is quite good ($35.00 per adult) and the pitch fork fondue is $30.00 per adult, so not a cheap evening......go early for the fondue, and prepare to run to line up when the dinner bell rings. There were 3 bus loads of people, so the line up went on forever. Food was good and over abundant. Take a jacket for the show, we went in June and it was breezy and cold. You can have steak,(one line goes to steak table) or 3 kinds of meat, chicken, buffalo and ribs, (another line goes here) Most people took the pitchfork steak fondue and it was delicious!

Room Tip: There are 400+ rooms, so odds are you will get one, but some are closer to the road if you want to w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank itsallgood-14
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Badlands Motel for one night as our bridge evening from driving to Medora and entering the park in the morning. We were in the "off season" ie, before Memorial Day, so the staff was skeleton and there were not many guests at the hotel.
Our room was fair enough: clean, beds comfortable, recently updated (but not modern), coffee maker, tube tv, no fridge I wasn't hoping for much in a small town in an out-of-the way location.
Side note: The funny thing was we had to drive to the much nicer & newer Roosevelt Inn to check in. We asked how much more a room there was and the desk clerk said $20. We totally would have splurged, but that is where the conversation ended. Could have up-sold us, but didn't ask for the sale.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here for apprx two weeks and have had a handful of issues with the staff. First off, important documents were sent to us at this hotel via UPS and we got them from the desk two days after they were confirmed delivered on UPS' online tracking system. Once we received very important said documents, we dropped the prepaid return envelope back at the desk for it to be sent off. The male employee informed me it would be taken care of. I thought to myself how awesome it was it was said and done and they would contact UPS to pick up said envelope since the closest store was 35 miles away. This was an overnight package, prepaid. SIX DAYS LATER, yes. SIX. I receive a call saying said needed paperwork was not received and according to online tracking via UPS' webpage, it had not been sent. I reassured person said envelope WAS sent and kept them on the phone while I walked down to the front desk to verify. Guess where it was? Yes, the front desk. The snotty woman at the desk had the nerve- I said, "Appreciate that.", and took my envelope back and drove 40 minutes to Dickinson myself.
Dont say youre taking care of something if you have ZERO intenet to follow through. I spent years in the Army and this was uncalled for. I sent it off and the NEXT day, it was all the way in Oregon.

Second issue. We were there for an extended stay. Housekeeping knocked everyday for me to inform them we didnt need anything. Finally, I mounted the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and Housekeeping knew if I heard them in the hall, I would let them know if I needed anything or remove said sign. My routine involved borrowing their vacuum, taking them my dirty towels and acquiring new ones and sheets if needed. Otherwise, I walked to the dumpster outside myself and did the rest myself like any normal person would do; dusting, etc.

I found a notice taped to my door stating for me to remove the "Do Not Disturb" sign from my door as Housekeeping WAS coming in the next day. I walked to the front desk (hours after borrowing the male employee's vacuum, and acquirring towels) and politely informed him that there wasnt anything we needed but thank you.
**mind you, I have a Service dog and a 16 month old whom if not one but the other is startled easily by strangers entering the room or napping**
He said, "Oh no problem! Ill write down on the log that you dont need anything!! Have a wonderful night!"
The following morning arrived. This snotty, rude woman with 8 lbs of makeup knocks on my door. I answer and she said they needed to check my room. I proceeded to open it up and invite her in to "check" my room and she denied offer and said Housekeeping will be by in a few minutes and for me to open the door for them.
I complied. Odd as it may. Housekeeping then knocked and apologized. I informed them I did not need anything.
Reasoning behind the entire episode? Nothing what so ever and this snotty, rude woman wasnt seen nor heard from the rest of the day.
Menopause much?
The two women on their staff are rude and snotty. Period. The men, theyre overly polite and helpful.

The hallways and stairs are always nasty and they had a dead bat stuck in their window screen in the hallway for two straight weeks, probably longer than my stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Allison F
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent one night at the Badlands Motel. It was acceptable and the location was great. Even though tourist season was over for the town (many things were closed for the season and it was only late-September), prices in the nice hotel in town were still higher than we wanted to pay - thus, we chose this motel -- which was still not cheap (at total of $97 with tax) -- especially considering no breakfast was included. The price was on the higher end of average for our two-week trip and the "niceness" of the place was just at average.

This being said, the room was clean, though rustic with wood panel walls and a simple, old style bathroom. Still, the room was large and functional. There is a railroad nearby with trains going through, I believe, about every hour, but they seemed to stop before we went to sleep - or else, I didn't hear them because I was asleep. At any rate, they did not bother us at all.

The bed I slept in was not up to my exacting standard for comfort (I really need a soft bed) as it was hard and a bit lumpy -- certainly not pillow-top. My husband had no problem with it and said it was fine.

The young woman who waited on us at the counter was not Miss Personality, but then, we did not require Miss Personality. She did her job and checked us in and that's all we needed from her. All in all, I would stay there again if I were ever in Medora for a night. It's an okay stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoyfulWriter
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is an older motel with small rooms & a shower definitely a throwback to the 1950's. The room was clean & comfortable enough, quite adequate for a 1-night stay. Medora itself is very small so it is easy to walk from the motel to everything in town. I was impressed with the view of the Badlands from my window.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Badlands Motel? Share your experiences!