“It never changes...”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Medora
Velva, North Dakota
“It never changes...”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My first memory of the Badlands hotel is like when I was 8. I am 46 now. I have been there over and over again thru the years. Nothing ever changes. The decor is the same,they have hung different pictures, went to different bedcovers and have given up keys for key cards, but really the rooms are the same as they were when I was 8. The Shower that circles around, the floor is a little spongy in places now,the toilet that teeters. Kind of weird. The place is clean and I mean clean, they do an excellent job. I just always feel kind of let down. I always feel the rooms in Medora are over priced. I leave feeling disappointed, they can call them rustic, but really, they are tired. So am I after sleeping on the horrible beds. I could not find a comfortable spot on the bed. I had a terrible time getting up this morning because my back was screaming. Will we go back, will we stay here, probably because this just seems to be what we expect. The one thing about Medora is the kids working are awesome. They are always very nice and helpful. Service is always number 1.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shoeboxdriver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This location is a convenient and clean place to stay when visiting Medora. My first visit to the Badlands Motel was quite enjoyable. The young staff is hired for the summer season and come from all over the world. The train tracks 100 yards away didn't pose a problem since we could mask it with the AC. I'd give this hotel a "4"rating for the night. .

On the second visit, we were greeted by a scheeching A/C unit. We asked for another room, and the AC unit was marginally less noisy. We asked the night manager to come hear it -- there was no indication that she saw this as a problem. We were blessed with a cool night, so we tuned it off, opened a window, and got some rest.

We addressed this issue with the day manager on check-out who offered apologies. In spite of the clean room and nice young staff, I'd rate the second visit a "2", and although I'd stay there again, I'll be sure to check the AC noise before settling in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank educationdoc
Montana
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Previous reviews are pretty correct. This is not a fancy place to stay, but it is comfortable and fairly clean. The place is outdated, with old fixtures, paneling, carpeting. Like going to stay in Grammas basement. But the bed is comfortable, cable TV, wall air conditioning unit, and retro shower with no tub. Way over priced if you compare it to other places, but that is Medora. They make the bulk of their annual income during the short summer months. You have to go to the town with the right attitude and enjoy it for what it is. If you want a fancier place to stay you will have to travel and hour or more down the interstate, or try the Roughriders Hotel downtown. I sleep with earplugs so the train or the air conditioning weren't a problem. I don't believe the trains are permitted to blow their horns in town anymore.

Room Tip: Pretend you are camping in the old west and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with this motel. The room was larger than I had anticipated and the service was quite nice. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget accomodation in Medora. We spent some time at the Roughriders Hotel (dinner and hanging out in lobby) and I was happy with my choice to stay at the Badlands Motel. Roughriders was more modern than I had thought it would be -- taking a lot away from its charm -- and I felt that I got a lot of the experience of that hotel by taking advantage of the restaurant and common areas without having to pay for a night's accomodation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed at the Badlands on a Sunday night at the end of June 2011.

When we arrived, we had to wait about 5 minutes to check in as we were waiting for a few others ahead of us. Check in was fast once we got to the front of the line.

The exterior of the hotel is very rustic so I figured the room would be too and I was right. The room was a good size motel room with two double beds. The beds and bedding were fairly new and very comfortable. The bathroom was vintage with its mint green decor. I’ve never quite seen a shower like that. The room was very clean and smelled fresh.

The night we were there wasn’t overly hot, but we did turn on the air conditioner because it was a little warm in the room. After about 5 minutes we had to turn it off because it was very loud. I’ve been in other hotels where the air conditioner is loud, but this one was very loud. On a really hot night that may be a problem when you are trying to sleep and keep the room cool.

The only other issue were the trains…they ran throughout the night (probably every 3 hours). They were pretty loud. My husband is a sound sleeper but they did wake him up. However, that’s probably an issue no matter where in Medora you stay since it’s so small. Not a huge deal but something to be aware of.

The motel itself was very quiet. I’m not sure if there were guests beside our room but I didn’t hear anyone else all night.

The motel advertised having an outdoor pool but the pool was not yet filled (and it looked pretty rough). We were told we could use the Bunkhouse outdoor pool, but since it was a cool night we didn’t end up going swimming so I’m not sure what it looked like.

The mini golf course and children’s park (it’s a great park with an old west theme) were right beside the motel so that was convenient. Our 4 year old loved the park and the mini golf was basic but fun.

I would certainly recommend this motel. It’s a clean motel with good beds and serves the purpose for the night. For $135 a night it’s a little pricey for what you get, but for town of Medora it was the second least expensive option, it was a good choice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MonkeyG
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stayed in the Badlands Motel on our way to Yellowstone. Basically it was just average. The rooms were good sized but very sparse. The beds were doubles and the bathroom was very small.

The service was just average as well. I called twice and asked for a pack-n-play, and then again when I checked in. They didn't bring one until I called from the room 3 hours after check-in, and then they brought a roll-a-way cot! It took another 20 minutes for them to figure out if they had one and bring it to us.

If you want a nice hotel go to the Rough Rider, if you want average the Badlands Motel will do.

• Stayed June 2011
Wahpeton, North Dakota
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was at the Badlands last summer, 1010 in July. Terrific room. This yr. 2011, in June great room also. Then, coming back from Mt. Rushmore we stayed again at the Badlands Motel. We got some of our stuff unpacked, turned on the air conditioner, and WOW! Sounded like a freight train in the room. Got moved to another room, the a/c wasn't too much better, but we were so tired, and because the temp was supposed to drop quite a bit that night, we just stayed there. OUR TIP: BEFORE YOU UNPACK!!! TURN ON THE A/C, AND LEAVE IT ON FOR ABOUT 8-10 MIN. USING ALL THE DIFFERENT OPTIONS -(5-6-7-8, ETC.) When we turned it up to 8 it became very loud!) And the asst. mgr. is a young gal who is a volunteer - not experienced. She wasn't much help for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Badlands Motel? Share your experiences!