“Look elsewhere, will work if nothing else.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Medora
Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head
Ranked #9 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Medora
Wadena, Minnesota
“Look elsewhere, will work if nothing else.”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We were hoping for some horses to rent and check out the area. No horses were present when we were there this past July 4th weekend. Filthy carpets in rooms, expensive meals in restaurant, cigarette smoke was everywhere. No TV, phone, but did find WiFi in the bar/restaurant area. Very thin pillow cases and no mattress pads on beds (were actually ok beds). Walls very thin so you can hear the neighbors going to the bathroom or doing other things next door. Look elsewhere, will work if nothing else. Still better then using a tent. Roughrider was $20 more, but might have been worth it.

Room Tip: Call and ask questions-brochure/website not correc
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank MNGal56527

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Booked this for a family reunion. Was promised microwave & frig in room. Arrived and neither was there. Asked owner and he was rude & said the brochures didn't mention that. I showed him an email from Robyn assuring that there would be frig and microwave in room. He said "do you know where you are? Not easy to get them out here." And then he said don't think you are going to get a credit! The bar is very smokey as is the restaurant and the owner just sits there and smokes. The rooms are pretty good size but not very clean. All the rooms people smoke in. Thank goodness we didn't have children in our group. The carpets were stained & filthy. Another group was here for a family reunion. They had similar problems also. I travel a lot & have never experienced anything like this where the owner could care less about people staying in their establishment. Plus he let's young drink by the fire pit. Some looked pretty young.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank limey52

Travelers are raving about these Medora hotels

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Well, my daughter has stay here a year ago with family and thought it was great, especially the breakfast. This time around no so good, changed owners.

Cons: Lighting in the room was poor since half of the bulbs were burn't out, please clean the light covers, heater in bathroom not working, no light cover, very noisy, no breakfast available or lunch meal, cost is $10 less than the American Inn, really? No pool, tv, internet etc. Don't mind not having these features just at a reduced cost would be good. Also, a 72 hour cancellation policy?

Pros: Large rooms, friendly people, and a hot shower.

Improvements needed: If you going to charge the same price as the motel in the surrounding area you need to offer up the same things or more to get good business.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Hoot12_10
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed September 8, 2010

No TVs-just beautiful scenery and gracious hosts for the stay. Would love to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kaywithkids
Missoula, MT
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My wife and I were traveling from Missoula, MT to Milwaukee, WI and wanted to spend a few nights in western ND, an area we had never explored before. We had read about Medora and Theodore Roosevelt National Park so decided we would spend three nights as a mini-vacation during our drive.

After looking around and reading reviews here on TripAdvisor we decided on Buffalo Gap. There are several nice hotels in Medora, but it is farily busy in the summer and touristy, so we preferred something convenient to Medora and the park but where we could just unwind and relax. Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch exceeded our expectations on every level.

Some people camp here but we booked one of the rooms. It was clean, spacious and had a nice, clean bathroom. No phone or TV in the room but our cell phones worked fine and there is wireless internet in the restaurant and bar. There is a nice, wide deck off the back of the rooms with a gorgeous view of the surrounding landscape. The bar and restaurant here are fantastic. One of the best steaks I have ever eaten and they have their own special marinade they use. The bar was fun, lively and Robin (the manager) makes a great bloody mary! I found everyone friendly and outgoing from the manager to the staff to the other guests and locals who come in just for the food and bar.

You should come in with the expecation that this place is farily rustic, so you're not going to get 500 count sheets and fluffy towels, but that was fine by us. The place looked a little understaffed while we were there. The same people cleaning our room were taking our dinner orders but that was cool because we got to know them--very friendly. Also, the bar allows smoking but the restaurant does not. It wasn't a problem though because there are two really nice decks just off the bar so you can go outside with your drinks if you don't like to be around the smoke.

Two of the nights they set up a fire for us and we could take our drinks from the bar out to sit around the fire. The stars out there are amazing--I've never seen so many. I travel a ton for work and have a stressful job so I was looking for a place to unwind, relax and just get away from it all. This place was perfect for doing just that.

Even though we don't have a long drive planned next summer my wife and I are planning to go out to Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grizfootball
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I don't normally write reviews because I like for people to develop their own opinions, but after reading the "look elsewhere" I felt the need to tell of my complete opposite experience. I stayed at the Buffalo Gap ranch for a few nights with my husband and our 2 children. We were met with many smiles from both the staff/management as well as the locals from Medora. The Buffalo Gap Ranch is about a mile off the interstate and seems very private, making for a nice get-away. While we were there, there was a wedding AND a family reunion the day after the wedding. The place seemed a little understaffed, but management stepped right in and did the exact same work as the employees. And although they were very busy, always had time to sit down with us and have some coffee or just a little conversation. The managers are well aquainted with the area and knew good, family things to do in the area. Not only did they tell us what to check out, they also told us how to get there from the ranch. The food was delicious, and although nothing out of the ordinary, I fell in LOVE with their BLT's and ate several during our short stay :) The rooms are kind of small but still sleep 6. The water out of the bathroom sink was delicious to drink (and I am not a sink water drinker!) I just couldn't get enough of the stuff! We didn't see much of the man-manager, but when we did see him he was always very pleasant. The managers have small grandchildren, so they had some toys up at the house for my two boys to play with (everything from a tractor to play-dough!). My family plans on making this a yearly vacation spot! We love the Buffalo Gap and hope you will give it a try too!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank imamomof2boys
Raleigh
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I flew home to ND to spend some time out in the western part of the state and thought it'd be fun to camp on the ranch. It was nasty, the shower room was filthy! We came in on a Monday and the owner claimed she had a family reunion of 99 people the weekend prior. Obviously the shower room had not been cleaned. Large trash bin full of garbage, trash on the floor, soggy bars of soap on the shower floors, no paper towels, not much toilet paper, footprints on the shower curtains (?? how'd they get there??), and a deer leg complete w/ hoof in our campsite. Lovely eh?

Before we had pitched our tent & scoped out the situation, we had a beer in the bar while we watched the owner folding the bed linens from the guest rooms on the bar pool table while smoking a cigarette! That should have been the first indication.

The next morning, thunderstorms were rolling through the area, so we went to the restaurant along w/ other guests staying. People were curious as to what the weather forecast was going to be. I asked the owner if she had seen the forecast, her reply, "no." There was a TV on in the bar, so thought I'd try to catch the weather there. I asked her if she knew what channel the Weather Channel was, her reply, "no." Another guest asked for decaffeinated coffee, her reply, "no." I asked if she had wheat bread for toast, her reply, "no." Not very accommodating. Before we left I told her that the shower house needed some attention. We then proceeded to take off for the afternoon. When we returned later in the day, the shower house had not been touched....still filthy! I went up to the restaurant/bar and the owner along w/ two employees were watching TV, eating & smoking. I asked her when we could expect the shower house to be cleaned, she wasn't too responsive. We went back into Medora for the musical, when we returned that night, the only thing done in the shower house was extra toilet paper was put out, a roll of paper towels, the trash picked off the floor, but the full trash can had not been emptied and certainly nothing had seen soap and water.

If I were to do it again, I'd either stay @ the Medora Campground or camp primitive in the state park, only cold water, but the bathrooms were spotless and the view breathtaking! If you choose this option, you can shower @ the Medora Campground for $3 and still come ahead and without driving back and forth from Buffalo Gap Ranch.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank Native_Dak_Kid

Been to Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head? Share your experiences!