“Love the Little America!”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Our family used to stay at the Flagstaff Little America when I was younger, and I have fond memories of it, so my husband and I decided to stay here on a recent overnight trip to Flagstaff. We loved the hotel itself, though we did have a couple of minor service issues. (Those issues were the only reason I didn't rate it a "5".)

First, however, in regard to the train noise, the train is not right next to the hotel - the tracks are about a half mile away. You can hear the whistle when you are outside, but it's rather faint. I honestly don't know how people can be bothered by it when you are in your room. If you think it might be an issue, get a room with a "forest view" - ours faced the forest, and we never heard the train, even while sitting next to the balcony with the door open a bit. (Note on the balconies: They are French balconies with sliding glass doors - you can't really sit outside on the balcony, but you can open the doors. We pulled our chairs over and watched the wildlife among the trees.)

Outside:
The hotel is very well-kept, and during the holidays their trees outside are covered with thousands of lights - very pretty when you drive into the lobby. The forest behind the hotel is beautiful and quite peaceful; we went for a walk in the (deep!) snow and enjoyed ourselves very much. Would be gorgeous in summer!

The rooms:
They have been nicely refurbished, but it is NOT a modern look in any sense. It does not look like a Westin or Mondrian hotel, and it's not supposed to. It's furnished in a kind of French provincial style; some of the rooms are pink, some are blue and gold, some are green/pink/gold, etc. The lighting, bathroom, and vanity area are all of an older style, but still tasteful, and we rather liked it. It's not how I would decorate my own home, but that's part of the fun of traveling - getting to experience a unique place. Everything was spotlessly clean as well, and the bed comfy. We stayed in a king suite, which was quite spacious, with a large sitting area and glass dining table. They gave us a corner room, so we had two sets of sliding glass doors, which let in lots of light.

The first three lodges are all connected with breezeways, which is great in winter. The fireplaces in the lobby and lounge were nice, too. They keep the outdoor walkways fairly ice-free, but be careful in the parking lots, as they do get icy - but that's true of many parking lots in Flagstaff following heavy snow and freezing weather. I did see maintenance staff going around with shovels and salt.

Check-in and front desk:
The front desk personnel were quite friendly, answered questions about the hotel and their events, dining times, etc.

Tiffany Tree lounge:
We had drinks here the first night. The lounge is very pretty with the stained glass tree, picture windows, and fireplace. When we walked in, however, none of the servers approached us for at least 10 minutes. I finally had to chase one down, and she apologized that she hadn't seen us - despite the table right next to us receiving service while we watched and waited. Our drinks took awhile to arrive, yet the lounge wasn't busy. Not sure what was going on there, but our server was friendly nonetheless. They do have a happy hour from 5-7 with $5 apps and drink specials.

Room Service:
We ordered breakfast from room service, and it arrived in a timely fashion, with everything hot. However, they failed to provide any condiments- including no butter or jam for the toast, no salt or pepper, tabasco or ketchup for the potatoes, etc. When we called room service to have them delivered, we never got through. This was very annoying, as it would have been a long walk from our room to the cafe, and we didn't feel like having cold eggs if we fetched the condiments ourselves. The front desk did remove some of the room service charge when we mentioned this to them.

I do think the hotel has some issues with service overall - and they could be easily remedied. Most of the staff seems quite friendly, they simply need better training. The service issues weren't a huge deal to us, though, and we did enjoy our stay. I'd rather stay here than in one of the chain hotels around Flagstaff.

Other info:
We have also stayed at the Monte Vista in Flagstaff; I'll write a review for that one later - it's an interesting hotel, though not necessarily our style. We also toured the Weatherford Hotel during this trip; the manager took us around and was very knowledgeable. If you like historic places, you might look into the Weatherford. The manager was quite friendly, and the hotel has a restaurant and two bars. We had appetizers in one of their bars, and it was quite good! It's definitely an historic place and "quirky" but fun; if you stay, get one of the larger suite rooms if you can. And yes, train noise is rather loud at the Weatherford; the hotel is located in the downtown area just one block away from the tracks.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Hummingbird3721

Reviewed January 12, 2009

I went to Flagstaff with some friends of mine for my birthday, after a day in the snow and sun we rested our heads at this hotel. It was so nice to have a cute room to rest in afterwards. There is a great bar with a fire place that we went to and drank some hot chocolate and coctails. I also had breakfast the next morning and although it was pricey it was good food and very convient in the nice breakfast area. Thanks Little America for hosting my birthday celebrations!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lane_road
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I have stayed here three times, exactly five years apart each time (1998/2003/2008). The exterior really gives you a "built in the 1970s and never changed" feel to it. Interesting side note--this is one of the few hotels I have stayed at that does NOT use plastic card keys--though the metal "key" is still electronically programmed.

That said, there have been a number of improvements made to the rooms themselves, and the rooms actually seemed to have upgraded a bit between our 2003 stay and our 2008 stay.

Other than a rowdy group somewhere near us (several empty 18-packs of beer outside the room when we checked out the next day), we had no real complaints.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank SteveinSoCal
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Wonderful property. The checkin is courteous and very professional. The rooms were spotless, large, and comfortable. The bed was a pillow top, and there is a flat panel tv. We stayed on Christmas night, and the restaurant was open. It was very good. We ordered room service for breakfast the next morning and were very pleased with that as well. Wireless internet worked great. My wife and I have no complaints whatsoever. I know it's more expensive than the average $40-$60 super 8, econo, etc, but it is well worth it if you want to splurge a bit more than usual. I can't brag enough about their beds. As good as home!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Joaks
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We planned a trip with our 2 kids (4yrs & 7 yrs) to Polar Express in Williams, AZ and decided to stay at Little America based on the Trip Advisor rating and based on their Christmas lights display. The hotel was decorated with Christmas lights throughout the property which was really beautiful - my kids loved the lights.

The problems started when we couldn't find a parking space close enough to our room. The road was very icy and we really had to watch our kids. When we got to our room we were so tired from our train ride we headed straight to bed. Our bed had some really bad body ordor attached to it. At first we couldn't figure it out but found out it was the mattress pad. It was so bad that we had to sleep on top of the comforter which probably wasn't the cleanest thing to sleep on either but we just couldn't deal with the smell. We didn't sleep well at all. In the morning, I called the front desk to let them know and all they told me was "ok.....I'll let the staff know". No apology which was really disappointing. For the price and the poor customer service I would find a better place to stay in Flagstaff.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank efvega
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We booked a room at this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews. We were traveling over the holidays with our three children and we wanted to stay someplace that would be fun for them, and someplace nice. One night's stay cost us $158.00.

First, the front desk person was boring, and his face lacked any expression whatsoever. I asked him if we decided to stay another night, how to go about making those arrangements. He said it didn't matter one way or the other, we could come to the front desk or book through the 1-800 number. He used the phrase "it's like comparing apples to oranges..." Ummmmmm, ok. Thanks for all your friendly assistance!!

Our room was on the second floor of the hotel, and this hotel has no elevators. This means you have to lug all your stuff up to the second floor, via the stairs. Because there was so much snow in the parking lot, we had to park far away and walk through both snow and ice. I found this to be a bit dangerous, considering we were traveling with our children. I was carrying our baby across the parking lot, taking much care to take solid steps so I didn't slip on the ice. They could surely use salt to clear the roads and the walkways. The snow went all the way up to the hotel doors! Come on, clear the walkways atleast!

We got to our room and the only way I can describe it is tacky as all heck! Bright pink carpet! Pink floral chairs! White metal table and chandelier (yes, I said chandelier!!) White and gold benches at the foot of each bed, with a bright pink faux leather cushion!! Whoa...
yep...bright pink! I don't even know how to describe the bedding, other than it was yellow, pink, red, gold, green, and white. It was like the 60's threw up in this room...seriously.

Another thing that grossed me out a bit was the fact that the coffee maker is in the bathroom. Weird...considering there is alot of other counter or flat surface space in the room itself. Also, the small refrigerator is directly across from the toilet. Another weird thing. Why would you want to store food/drinks across from the toilet?

Once we unloaded all of our stuff into the room, we decided we'd head down to the lounge for happy hour. We saw they had $5.00 appetizers, and $5.00 martinis. Great, a drink and some food sounded wonderful. We sat at our table for 10 to 15 minutes before our waitress approached us. I ordered drinks for our kids, a bloody mary for my hubby, and I wasn't sure so I asked for a drink menu. She got lost while finding the drink menu, and when she finally brought it back she disappeared again for another five minutes. She came back with the kids drinks, and never brought the bloody mary. I thought the bar was backed up, so I didn't question it. I went ahead and ordered my drink, along with three appetizers. Nachos, cheese sticks, and hot wings. About five minutes later my drink arrived. The bloody mary was MIA. When we asked her about it she said she "forgot". She finally got back with the bloody mary, and our appetizers. The wings were literally floating in hot sauce. The nachos were burnt to a black crisp. They were obviously left too long under the broiler. The cheese sticks were sitting on a wilted pile of lettuce. Not very appetizing. We sent back the nachos, and asked for a manager. The manager came over and apologized and asked what she could do for us. We wanted to feed our kids something decent, so asked if she could bring them salads. She obliged, without charging us. Our overall experience in the lounge left MUCH to be desired.

I'm very disappointed because on our way through flagstaff a week ago, we stayed at the Sleep Inn for $59.99 and it was a better experience than Little America. I wish I could get refunded for the $160 we just spent for this room, and go check into the Sleep Inn. I won't stay here again.

I will say that the grounds are great. However, the grounds do not make up for bad experiences in all other areas of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank danipants13
Reviewed December 9, 2008

We used Flagstaff as a "hub" on a family vacation - so we could go to the Grand Canyon, Montezuma's Castle, as well as several other Sinaqua Indian sites. Flagstaff ended up being a great choice, much less expensive than Williams and/or Sedona, for sure. We went to Williams, as well as Sedona - for the day - and returned to Flagstaff.

This hotel was very reasonably priced - and while we are more used to higher end hotels (like a J.W. Marriott or such) - for this "kind" of a hotel - it was VERY nice. The room was large, clean and while the decor was a bit outdated - it was not shabby.

Since it was COLD in Flagstaff (in Nov) - its nice that the hotel has interconnected hallways to the lobby and restaurants. The grounds are pretty and our kids had a great time running around chasing squirrels, collecting pine cones, etc.

I would recommend that you ask for (and we had to pay an extra $20/night) for a room that faces the forest/pool area - instead of the parking lot/highway. It was much quieter that way.

The restaurant (diner like part) was just average - but the bar had VERY inexpensive drinks and appetizers at happy hour. Plus we had the Thanksgiving Buffet there - and it was quite lovely and lavish - especially for the price (when compared with Sedona's Thanksgiving prices).

All in all -- a great family trip and pretty reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family