“Likeable, But No Consideration for Hot Tub Out”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Ogden, Utah
“Likeable, But No Consideration for Hot Tub Out”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I may whine a little bit here, so brace yourself. This hotel doesn't deserve to be #1 on Trip Advisor for Flagstaff!
Overall, I liked the hotel, more than I thought I would. The rooms were quite large, with a full bathroom and a separate makeup area with a sink, mirror; that's good thinking if you have a wife and 2 daughters like I do. Nice move.
The furniture appears older, but a classic style (that's what they were going for), and very clean. Nice grounds too, plenty of parking and pine trees all around.
Here's the problem---I picked hotels on my trips through Flagstaff that have hot tubs; which after a 9 hour drive, I want to use for theraputic reasons (my achin' back).
So, when I went down in the morning, the gate was locked, with no sign up. I called the office, they said they'd have maintenance open the gate; then they called back to say it wasn't available because it was still heating up.
OK, I'm all for hot tub maintenance, and it looked clean. I didn't have 2 hours to wait for it to warm up. I also had picked the hotel with the specific intent to use the hot tub; and since I called down and checked out with the same lady at the desk, I belive a reduction in the rate was due, but none was offered. I wasn't going to fight about it; but it also makes me lean away from coming back if they won't treat us right.
I stayed at the Drury in on my return leg in Flagstaff. I was wanting to take the family to Flagstaff, and will shy away from this hotel (Little America) because they won't treat you right; and I dont' want to throw a fit; just take 20% off my bill if the error is yours.
If you advertise a hot tub, and it isn't working, don't just say "Sorry" and do nothing, that doesn't cut it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Washed
GAHotelsandResorts, General Manager at Little America Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Washed -

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback from your recent stay at Little America Flagstaff. I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment with us. We strive to provide an exceptional experience for all our guests and we fell short during your stay. I apologize for the hot tub not being available during your stay and for the breakdown in communication between the front desk and maintenance departments. Please know we have shared your feedback with our staff and are using it to train and improve our service so other guests do not have the same experience.

I would like to speak with you personally about your experience. Please contact me personally at freese@flagstaff.littleamerica.com so we can speak in more detail about what happened and what did not happen in regards to a discount.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Little America Flagstaff in the near future and I would be pleased to personally oversee the details of your next stay to restore your confidence in us.

Respectfully,

Fred Reese

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The room decor is a very french provincial, circa 1962. But the rooms are huge, with a full size sofa plus table and chairs. This was most room we have had on our trip. We also enjoyed the Sunday brunch, excellent food and great service. The hotel is quite large, but is nestled into a pine forest with some walking trails behind it. If you are headed to, or through, Flagstaff, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Vicky L
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Vicky L-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Again, thank you for your comments.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed March 19, 2014

It is a dated structure but has been well-maintained. Staff was very friendly. Room was large, clean, and had good views out to the park-like setting around the hotel. I agree with the high ratings and encourage travelers to visit this one for a good night's rest.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tmiboise
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The best things about our stay at Little America: Austin, the restaurant waiter whose enthusiasm for the job is rare in this day and age; furniture that was made well enough in the 70s to withstand four decades of use and still looks good; a great little gift shop with kind ladies working there; a beautifully decorated outside with Christmas lights galore on trees and bushes which delighted the kids; beautiful lobby with welcoming desk clerks; it was also very nostalgic, as I recalled traveling with my grandparents in style in the 1970s. I also felt a tad underdressed as we pulled up, but that was only because I was remembering how people used to dress while traveling years ago; we were dressed fine, so no worries there.

What missed the mark: the price -- for the price we paid, it was disappointing not to have breakfast provided; the tiles in the bathroom -- I can overlook the Brady Bunch avocado green tile, but it was cracked in several places; the tub -- way too slick for kids or older folks (anyone with feet, frankly, could take a nasty tumble); the lack of room numbers at the start of each hallway (i.e., Rooms 100-110, Rooms 111 - 121); the lack of elevators.

Room Tip: Bottom floor if you don't want to carry your luggage upstairs. Also, ask for a room closer to t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DellaDidDisney
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Little America is a long-time Flagstaff institution and it looks it! Lots of wood paneling, beams, hanging lamps, stained glass - the 70's still rule here. It was a busy weekend so I got a free upgrade to a suite that was the size of an apartment. The furnishings were blue and white French Provincial throughout. Everything is well maintained but really dated, and it is serious, not a joke. The food was good in the restaurant and there is a nice trail around the perimeter of the property. It could be really interesting if they got an interior designer with a sense of humor, but I don't see that happening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Based on Trip Advisor's number one rating of Little America, we made reservations for a one night stay. What an incredible surprise to have entered a spacious and beautifully decorated lobby and greeted so graciously and professionally by Ann at the reception desk. Following our smooth and expeditious check-in, Ann provided us with an articulate description of the hotel's layout, dining areas, gift shop, walking trail and map to the location of Lodge 4 and our second floor room (425) with a tranquil view of tall pine trees. An awe inspiring beautiful Blue Jay appeared outside our balcony window. Our spacious 2-Queen Bed room and large bathroom were exceptionally clean, spacious, and furnished with French Provincial chairs and two ultra-comfortable double beds. We discovered, to our delight, plush U.S. made 1888 Mills bath towels and Faribo 100% pure merino wool blankets made in Minnesota. No cheap Chinese-made polyester, thank goodness! The outside grounds, large swimming pool, hot tub and walking trail had us grab our camera to take gorgeous still and video scenes during the golden hours prior to sunset. Without hesitation, we decided to stay an additional two nights to fully enjoy this exceptional hotel. Other contributors have stated this Little America is somewhat outdated. If it is, it is only in a positive quality way that contrasts markedly with the generally cheap and predictable amenities and hype of so many other hostels. The maids are attired in smart looking French maid uniforms similar to house keepers who maintained rooms in stately hotels of the past, grounds custodians wear clean uniforms, dining wait persons (our waiter's name was Austin) are professionally attired as are all the other Little America employees. If one is looking for the graciousness, restful atmosphere, beauty, and gentle personal courtesies of a nearly bygone time this is the place of choice. We will definitely stay here each time we visit Flagstaff or drive through on the way to the nearby Grand Canyon.

Room Tip: Lodge 4 is quiet. Room 425 was a great choice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aebi46
Dear aebi46-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Little America. We are humbled by your kind remarks and honored that you have recommended us so highly. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Little America in the future. Until then, we remain at your service.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We made it to Flagstaff at the end of a very long day and found the majority of the motels a bit crowded with bus tour visitors so we thought we would try out Little America; tho it looked to be a tad over our budget. It was over our budget but we decided to treat ourselves and took a room. The room was gorgeous! Done in early American, very spacious and quite comfy. There were a few extras that were nice like a makeup area to include a sink outside the bathroom and a table and chairs where you could enjoy room service. It did have all the amenities except a microwave. We did encounter 3 minor problems: the curtains would not fully close and we spent alot of time fixing them; the shower curtain had some type of greasy/grime on it; and when the heater would kick on it made a loud thumping noise that did manage to wake me up a couple of times but did not affect my husband. We also enjoyed dinner at the restaurant but it was a little pricey; 2 drinks and 2 bowls of soup for $23.00. I must admit tho that the french onion soup was the best I ever tasted! Very yummy! One other thing I'd like to mention, this is a no smoking hotel and is NOT pet friendly. Overall was quiet and serene.

• Stayed March 2014