“Route 66 stop off”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed February 2, 2014

A two day stop over in Arizona in October 2012 as part of Route 66 road trip so we could visit the Grand Canyon and the meteor site. The hotel is more of older style rather than all singing and dancing style hotel. Rooms were very big and comfy especially after being on the road for a decent amount of time. Would recommend the hotel

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,457)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

On our way from Abq to Lake Havasu, we stayed overnight in this hotel.
Looked great on the outside and the staff at the front desk was really friendly.
Bar and restaurant have that little old fashioned look, but I loved it. Everything was clean.
Room was really spacious: it had a separate sitting area and a large bathroom. Bathroom is a bit older but again really clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside are looking at the forest and not the street
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2014

After six nights at the Grand Canyon, I spent a night in Flagstaff in order to visit the Lowell Observatory. I arrived at Little America early afternoon, and they had a room available for early check-in. I had requested a second-floor room with a view of the wooded area and both requests were accommodated. The room was very quiet, spacious, clean and comfortable, and the view was lovely.

I had a late lunch at the restaurant; the fish 'n' chips were excellent and the customer service provided by the server, Stephanie, was outstanding. I also had a delightful view of the woods and wildlife while enjoying my meal.

Later when returning from the Observatory I bought gas for the rental car and picked up a quick snack at the 24-hour convenience store, both of which are located on the property. The store had quite a selection and the staff member was very pleasant.

After a most comfortable night's sleep (loved the pillows and the extra blanket in the closet came in handy) I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast before checking out. The meal was very good (eggs, toast, potatoes, bacon and coffee) and once again I had a lovely view from my table.

I enjoyed my stay so much I think it would be fun to come up for a long weekend, especially during the holidays. I didn't get to enjoy the holiday lighting (too late for that) but I did enjoy one of the walking trails on the grounds.

This is a most unique place and to me, the old-style rooms are a plus. The dated appearance is part of the charm, and 'dated' didn't mean 'worn out'; everything worked great.

Only thing surprised me: While it has become an unfortunate trend (in my opinion) to put coffee pots in or near the bathroom area, this is the first time I had the experience of sitting down on the commode only to find myself looking directly across at the refrigerator! If they could some how remedy this, I can't think of anything else they would need to improve.

All in all this was a most unique, comfortable and convenient location, with friendly staff (front desk, restaurant and housekeeping) and lovely grounds. I would go out of my way to stay here again, and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I prefer top-floor rooms and didn't mind taking the stairs, though this is something to consider...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank cjs123
Reviewed January 20, 2014

First of all, I just have to say that I was sad that we only stayed for one night while passing through Flagstaff... We were passing through the area and decided to stay at Little America due to convenience to the Grand Canyon and the interstate. Arriving around the holiday season provided a unique experience because, upon entry to the property, guests are greeted with a quite spectacular lighting display (see pics). Though we stayed only one night and didn't take advantage of all that was offered, it appeared that the hotel has a variety of activities available dealing with Christmas (Santa's Workshop, Sleigh-rides, etc...). Decoration both inside and outside of the hotel was quite neat.

Apart from the holidays, the hotel was nice and a nice change from the newer, modern hotels that one so frequently visits while driving. As consistent with the apparent theme of the hotel, the hotel gives a much "older" feeling. The rooms, bathrooms, and interior make you feel like you might be in a hotel that existed a few decades ago instead of now. While this may not be for everybody, I thought it was a nice change. Though the hotel may appear slightly antiquated, that didn't appear to hurt the actual quality of stay. All of the property seemed to be in good condition.

We ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast but not other meals. Options for breakfast were buffet or your selection from the menu. The buffet had many option for all appetites as well as the option to order special egg-related dishes. The restaurant provides a cozy feeling as well as a hospitable staff.

If you are considering Little America or another hotel in the Flagstaff area, I would definitely suggest Little America. It provides a unique experience that you may not get too frequently. Stay a couple days for the full experience...

Room Tip: The property consists of several buildings. The main building includes the conference rooms, dining...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zbidwell
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed for two nights and shared room with wife and two sons 11 and 7. The surrounds on entry were beautifully lit up with Christmas lights and decorations. This hotel is a good place to stay, the beds were comfortable and all was reasonably clean and tidy. The weather was cold outside but the room was well heated as you would expect. The hotel room, whilst I was not expecting five star, was looking a bit dated and in need of a refit. Be prepared to drive to alternate dining and shopping. We did order room service on night two and the food was hot, tasty and served promptly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David B
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I'm truly astonished that this is the number one hotel currently in Flagstaff. Everything about it was so-so. The location is not in downtown, the rooms are oddly furnished and quite dated, and the layout of the property is inconvenient. Redeeming qualities are the super comfortable beds, and superior service from the girl who checked us in and recommended restaurants (thanks Donna!). Otherwise, look elsewhere for a more charming accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank kn138hc
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We went to Flagstaff, Arizona for a one-day trip. , and chose America Hotel in Flagstaff. Although it was a little pricey. The accommodations were very nice. The folks at the front desk were very friendly and professional and the room itself was beautiful, no complaints there. They had the outside, all lit up with Christmas lights, again beautiful. Although we were unable to eat at the restaurant (we didn't make reservations). We did have a drink later that evening and were able to walk around and see how nice the restaurant and lounge area was. I would recommend this place for others to stay.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room with a view of the lights, beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple