“Not exactly traveler friendly”

Days Inn Flagstaff - West Route 66
Ranked #46 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 7, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Flagstaff - West Route 66

Reviewed July 5, 2013

There is not much more I can add to all the negative reviews here. They are right on.
I feel the staff is absolutely the rudest and should not be in the service industry.
We were looking for a place to crash as we could not make it back home and just took this Days Inn. What a mistake. The trains in the back are incredibly loud. Our room had nothing but old and some dirty stuff in it. The breakfast or what there was of it couldn't have been worse. One employee remarked that they don't have to care as their business comes mainly from tour operators. My sympathies to those guests.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shock43
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Days Inn West route 66 FlagStaff AZ
All for only 10, 000 Wyndham rewards points.

Compared to the past several hotels and motels on my path toward California along the old Route 66, a.k.a. I-40, This is a sprawling compound of overnight road warrior retreat. Sadly, it has no spa and the pool closes at 9:00 PM, so if you're looking for late night poolside cocktail and cigar you'll have to get in early and avoid the locked gates that keep such as myself from entering the pool area.

The lobby was actually confusing. It's a beautifully (but dated) decorated foyer, with comforts expected in a much higher rated hotel. The staff was pleasant and professional, But the lack of elevator for someone with as much luggage as I have this trip was a challenge that I wasn't looking to end my day with.

Room 240.
Walking into a refrigerator in the middle of the night with the temperature on the AC set at 60 was a very awakening experience. I'm sure it must have been a very hot day for the maids. The first thing I fumbled to do was to actually turn on the heat with the door left open just to warm up the room to above meat preservation temperature.

Other than the frozen aspect of the room, it was quite clean and accommodating. It has the usual Wyndham old coffee maker and horrid coffee, of which I procured an extra packet of regular, so that I could make actual but awful tasting coffee in the morning that has the potential to wake the dead. (just the way I like it.)

If you're a coffee drinker, always ask for an extra packet at the desk as you check in. They know it's a problem and thus keep a stash behind the counter for those who don't wake up at 7:00 AM to make it down stairs for the free continental breakfast.
Free breakfast from 7 to 9 AM! Not everyone is a slave to the morning routine, those of us who do freelance work seldom know what this hour of the day even looks like. In my years of traveling around the country and staying in more hotels than I can begin to remember, I have only participated in the free breakfast offerings of such an establishment one time. And it wasn't an inspiration to ever do so again. But for those of you who live on processed foods, I'm sure it's a fantastic amenity.

The bath has actual stone tile on the floor and walls. A very nice touch for my expectations.
The faucet in room 240 could use some maintenance. It is possible with some patience to find the final off position to stop the incessant dripping. The beds are fine for what they are, but the pillows are the new fashionable square styled head cushions. Who on this planet decided that these tiny pillows were a good idea? They still use the standard sized pillow casings. This gives me hope that this is only some passing trend of bad decor.

I'm assuming that these decorators are the same who have to yet embraced the age of electronics. With so few outlets available to charge the small arsenal of basic computer and communications required to be in business of any kind in this century. How about a few more outlets, better coffee and the simple pillow variety of the few hotels that are getting three times the price… (Just a suggestion to Wyndham.)

Overall aside from the walls that let me know what the next room is talking about, this is a pretty nice place to stay. I give it's solid 3 stars that it claims. However a trip to the reclusive ice machine on the 1st floor reveals vending machines that suggest this not being as safe a place as one would like to feel it to be. With typically over-priced small packages of snacks behind steel mesh that looks like they're in prison. My warm and fuzzy for this place was diminishing.

So this morning I was first waken at 6:30 AM, quite a few hours before I was ready. Fortunately the alarm the screeching alarm that seems more appropriate for fire than waking, hade a simple 12 volt connection at the back of it, So to simply grasp it and toss it across the room is not in any way destructive. A very good choice for the property owners.

Who or what kind of person it is I wonder at times like these, when being waken by loud thumping music at 8:00 AM?
It's obvious the one who is young in the ways of both compassion for others and giuvg//of musical taste. I find such thumping to be maddening. However the waking to then turn the heat back on muffled the noise to an extent that I could get my last hour of rest. It was till cold at that point anyway. Not a good nights sleep for this reason alone. The stone tiles are still frozen.

If a room is left to freeze for a day, it seems that it takes an equal amount of time for it's contents to come back to the temperature of the living. I initially thought I'd be praising thee stay at the Days Inn here in Flagstaff AZ, however after last night I can't in good knowing recommend it.

But…
I like to occasionally be somewhat critical.
If you're going to stay here, and if you're going to read all of this, you may as well know what I'm seeing and experiencing. that's what reviews are all about. Third person is for the slanted news that's just as bias as my reviews and daily attitude.

BTW.. Flagstaff is an amazing little gem of a town.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have luggage
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Reviewed July 1, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I paid extra and reserved a room with a refrigerator and desk and got a basic room without a refrigerator and desk; was told would get an $11 credit but it was inconvenient to not get what we reserved as my husband is on a feeding tube and we need to refrigerate his food. Luckily we had a cooler at our disposal. Breakfast was plain white bread, and 'wheat', english muffins, donuts, waffles, cereal, no fruit so I carbed out on english muffins and coffee, juice and milk were available. Room had a funny smell but it was only one night and we were tired. I've paid less for the same type of room, but it was where we needed it when we needed it so there you go. Also, couldn't connect to Days Inn internet but was able to connect to Travelodge.