“OK for the price”

Days Inn Flagstaff - West Route 66
Ranked #46 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This room was adequate for a one night stay. My biggest complaint is that the room's dead bolt did not meet the hole for it and so it didn't work. The door locked and there was a security chain. Minor issues were the remote control didn't work properly and the blankets had holes in them. We never heard the train, the bathroom was very nice with newer granite counter and floor and tub surround and the lobby is very nice.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Anything good about a stay becomes overshadowed when one finds their room door open upon their return.

Most travelers know the majority of the time you get what you pay for, sometimes when you're lucky you get more than that. There are then sometimes when you get far, far less.
The room? Fine, clean even. The location? Great! Right near NAU, where I was doing a tour. It was however the service, and to a large degree, the physical security, where it fell very short of acceptable.
Rude is the best way to describe the service. The largest problem by far, however, was my room door. When I returned from my academic tour my door was wide open. When I complained I was accused of leaving it open. I assure you I did not.
Possibility 1: I did not close my door hard enough and the lock did not catch. As I said, unlikely. Door handle up, then down, push the door then pull the door. Every time. I have a habit of this sort of thing.
Possibility 2: The maid service. I'll note first that my "do not disturb" sign was in place. In this case my room should have been as I left it, the door included. Perhaps having not seen the sign a maid opened my door and then saw the sign and moved on, failing to close the door behind her/him.
Fortunately my things were untouched though I also might add that I was making use of the safe so if in the case someone unscrupulous did happen upon my open door I would have lost only one of my laptops that did not fit and my bag and clothing and if they were very rude or plucky, my shaving kit.
Overall because of gross negligence I give this Day's Inn as low a rating as possible. No matter how nice the room, safety and security are always first.

Room Tip: Winter? Upper floor. Summer? The other thing.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo