“Guest services need to learn manners”

Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2014

First the good:
Great location! Very close to NAU and the downtown historic district. Parking is easy and convienient. Lobby is nice, the prices for their mini-mart are, in my opinion, below what hotels normally charge ($1 for chips vs $4 in Los Angeles hotels.
The rooms are very spacious and well appointed. Shower pressure is great.
Now the so-so:
TV volume is programmed to a certain level. That alone is fine, however you can not run the a/c and hear the tv at the same time. A stop by the front desk to inquire and the answer was "that's the level we determined is acceptable" (said with a smile). I'm sure it is acceptable in absolute quiet, but with a/c, or the shower running, or housekeeping vaccuuming, or people talking in the hallway and acceptable becomes unacceptable.
Beds are "adjustable" for firmness. We had a double room, set one to soft and one to firm... Firm meant concrete and soft meant carpeted floor. I mistakingly thought since it was a Hilton, they would have the same beds as Hamptons, Doubletrees, Hilton Grand Vacations....WRONG. Will definitely ask before I book another HH Garden Inn over one of the other Hilton properties.
Now the bad: desk staff (or whomever answers the phone when you call 0), are smug, unhelpful, contrary and condescending. I stay at Hilton properties ALL the time - because I absolutely love them, know what I'm getting, and know the normal practices. This is the first hotel that I have stayed in that charged the ENTIRE stay plus a deposit to my card BEFORE I checked out. After inquiring about this on the first day, I was told "no no, they just authorize funds and do NOT charge anything until departure". I verified again the next day with the smiling front desk clerk, and was told again, "check with your bank, we do NOT charge, we only "authorize". Called my bank, and yep...was told they CHARGED the full stay plus a deposit of an additional $100. While my bank was on the phone, I called down and was told by the condescending staff member that yes, "authorizing" IS charging, it's "standard practice for Hilton's". I advised him that ive NEVER been charged the stay, only a deposit at every other brand from Hilton. He rudely told me, "I work for the Brand, I know what we do, you're wrong." I'm wrong. The client, who stays at other Hilton brands monthly is "wrong"?!
Needless to say, I will never stay here again....I'll take my business across the street (literally) to one of the two Hampton Inns. They KNOW how to treat a guest, know the definition of "authorize" and would never have the audacity to tell a guest "you don't know what you're talking about".

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BlackVooduu
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear BlackVooDuu:

Thank you for the taking to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate all your feedback. First off I would like to thank you for all your kind words about our hotel and its amenities. Secondly I would like to apologize for the attitude of my staff towards your challenges with our TV volume and the authorizations on your credit card.

We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest comfort and
satisfaction before everything else. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You
can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not
disappointed as you were.

with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on the way back from Grand Canyon. Booked the room through expedia a few minutes before we got there and got an excellent rate. Was looking forward to staying in Hilton after many overnight stays in motel enroute in our road trip. The place certainly didn't disappoint. While all the amenities were fairly standard, the quality of service and the rooms set it apart and i really enjoyed the stay. Has a very short stay here but it is was extremely comfortable.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PrashanthiKK
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Prashantik:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate your kind words as well as your business. We look forward to seeing you next time your in town.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Staff were excellent. Especially Bryan at Guest Relations and Jerry in maintenance. Access to Coco's Restaurant for room service was great. Bryan followed up after our meal arrived and Marcus did the same on our return stay one week later. I used to stay at another hotel chain for business and pleasure but I am now spotting Hilton locations across the US for my future trips. Minor accessibility safety issue with regard to vertical handicap bars which I have brought to the chains attention and I am sure Risk Management will address the issue in a timely manner.

Dear Anotette:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate your feedback as well as your business. We look forward to seeing you next time your in town.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We'd booked a room on our way to New Mexico. Coming out of LA, someone that was in a much bigger hurry than we soundly rear-ended us. Getting towed to a body shop and getting a rental car put us 3 hours behind so we called to let the hotel know of our problem.
Though our rate called for a 24 hour cancellation (which we were past), the clerk waived the fee and let me know that if we decided to come on in that they had room available.

We managed to make it - the evening front desk manager had heard of our problem and gave us a slightly better rate (but that didn't include breakfast). As an additional gesture, he threw in two breakfast coupons. Not having stayed here before, I expected the casual reheated sponge bob scrambled egg-like items. But instead the buffet was very close to 'nice' restaurant quality. Easily worth a $10 per person bump in the rate (by my scale, anyway). I don't think we'd have done as well at the nearby Coco's. (Significantly nicer than the nearby Marriott Courtyard where we've also stayed.)

The room was very clean and very comfortable (OK I'll admit I was exhausted by that point).

Though I'm a Marriott fan from way back, I'll check with this hotel first the next time I'm staying over in the area.

Room Tip: We were overlooking the back of the hotel and there was absolutely no outside noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear CACoastTraveler:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Even though your trip started out pretty scary it sounds like you made the best of it and I'm happy to hear things went well while you were with us. Thanks for all your kind words and we look forward to seeing next time your in town.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Snowing and freezing outdoor and warm water pool indoor . . . perfect. Nice people, good accommodation, not expensive, easy access. The hotel is near Grand Canyon and you can go during the day and other days enjoy the snow. Jkk.

Dear Jaime R:

Thank you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate all your high marks!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We've stayed at I don't know how many hotels in Flagstaff and this one far exceeds all the others. The staff is wonderful, the facilities excellent, and the customer service is superb. Maria, who was handling morning service on our stay, delivered a breakfast to rival any we've had for a "buffet style" breakfast. Outstanding.

Dear Contributor:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate all your feedback and your kind words. We look forward to seeing you next time your in town.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here while visiting the Grand Canyon National Park. Chose this hotel with trip advisor but not sure if I would recommend it to others or if I would stay again. The property seems very modern and welcoming. The staff was extreemly freindly, helpful and pleasant. However, the noise from rooms was transmitted to the hall and other rooms quiet easily and the doors slam when released which disturbs and wakes many guests. The breakfast buffet which seems conveinent was lousey. Cold food and poor quality. Would look for another hotel when returning to Flagstaff.

3  Thank Anakin50

Dear Anakin50:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I would like to apologize about the noise level that disturbed your stay.

We want all our guests to have the best stay possible where everything exceeds their
expectations. I am sorry if that was not the case during your stay. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.