“Accomodating Staff and VERY Spacious Room”

Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff
Ranked #5 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cherokee Village, Arkansas
“Accomodating Staff and VERY Spacious Room”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were greeted kindly by the desk staff on our arrival following the Grand Canyon two day Mule Ride. One of the staff had done the ride and promptly showed us the hot tub and pool near the lobby as well as gave us some ice cold water. The rooms were well done with lots of storage space, a flat screen tv and a fairly large bathroom. Our room was very quiet. We opted not to pay for the breakfast but it looked good. Lots of folks were staying there on the way from a fancy car show so parking was limited. Had planned to stay two nights wish we could have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Aturnee:

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your kind words and your business. Hopefully we'll see you next time your in Flagstaff.

Hilton Garden Inn-Flagstaff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The good:
The staff was very friendly. Brandy at the front desk was very cheerful and pleasant. So was the overnight guy at the front desk.
One staff member saw us coming from WAY across the parking lot and waited for us to arrive so he could hold the side door open for us. I didn't catch his name but I think it might have been in maintenance. Every staff member we crossed paths with smiled at us and greeted us warmly. It was very nice.

The room was very nice and clean. It even had a refrigerator and microwave! Free wi-fi!! However....

The bad:
We asked for a non-smoking room, and got one. But apparently on the first floor all the non-smoking rooms are on one side of the hall, and the smoking rooms are on the other side of the hall. Which was very unpleasant for me. The hallway was thick with the stench of stale cigarette smoke. So much so that any time I was in the hallway I had to cover my face with my sweatshirt, or try to hold my breath until I got outside.
Worse still, every time someone across the hall opened their door, a cloud of smoke would escape and seep through the large gap under my door. I had to stuff a wet towel in the gap under the door and leave the window open all night for it to be bearable. Nevertheless, we still got some smoke a several times a night.

Unfortunately our room was located very close to the end of the wing where the room attendant's offices and laundry for the hotel was located. This translates into a lot of noise for several hours early in the morning. In my half asleep state, it sounded like bowling balls were being thrown at the walls around me. In addition to loud conversations outside my door. Good thing there were extra pillows on the bed so I could try to block out the noise.

Another thing that I cant stand when staying at a hotel, and for whatever reason hotel management has not yet caught on to, is the alarm clock. Why is it that every time I am at a hotel, the alarm clock goes off at the worst possible time, obviously set by the previous tenant? This time the alarm went off at 2am, 120db of static that would wake up the dead. Maybe the previous tenant was hard of hearing?
Anyways, I don't understand why the cleaning crew who prepares the room for the next people cant check the alarm clock as part of their duties so this doesn't happen?! It seems so simple to me.

Room Tip: Smokers and early risers, have no fear! You'll be at home here. Every one else, either ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wildweaself4e
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us in Flagstaff. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including items of opportunity. I am so sorry to hear that smoke was an issue during your stay. We know how unpleasant the smell can be for some guests and do our best to prevent the transference from smoking to non-smoking rooms. I also understand that noise was an issue in your room; I know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling and regret we were unable to provide this. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by staff and an unplanned alarm and I have shared your review with our team to work towards preventing this issue in the future. Moving forward, disarming the alarm clock will be an item on our housekeeping checklist. I do hope the next time you return to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hotel was typical Garden Inn variety except for one thing. The Great Grill breakfast was like none other at a Garden Inn. There was no grill for cook to order omlets. The whole breakfast was just a notch above Hampton Inn. But wait...they still wanted the normal charge for a Great Grill breakfast of $9.95. There is a Cocos resturant next door and I saw an employee bringing hot containers of food to the hotel so I assume they use Cocos as there chef.

Room Tip: Hotel sits on a hill so make sure you use the parking brake.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Zman0131:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We apprecaite your kind words about the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our breakfast buffet. Yes, our breakfast is a bit different than most Garden Inn's and we charge for it, but it’s a full, breakfast buffet with everything you need to start your day off right. It’s not just cereal and a few pastries—it’s prepared daily with fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, french toast, potatoes, bisquits and gravey, waffles, fresh fruits and much more, and its all you can eat.

Please consider giving us another chance the next time you are in Flagstaff. We are eager to show you an exceptional breakfast experience.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here as a group of 5 adults travelling on a fly drive on the West Coast on 23rd September 2012. Travelled through Flagstaff as a stop over between Grand Canyon and Phoenix. This hotel was great - no problems at all and could of stayed for longer than 1 night. We had two rooms (booked through Expedia) one with a double queen and a king size room with connecting door. Rooms were clean and came with an assortment of soaps, creams and shampoos etc (I have been advised it was a good selection by the females in the group). There is an in door swimming pool and hot tub as well as a gym (no outdoor pool). The hotel is situated off route 66 and is close to various restaurants and large stores. (it is located out of the town/city centre from what I saw as we were only there for 1 night but there are various restaurants around - we ate in the olive garden and it was excellent 5min walk away). The staff at this hotel were also very helpful and pleasant. Complimentary tea and coffee available in the lobby which was handy for late and early arrival/departures.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Francey75:

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate your kind words and your business. Hopefully we'll see you next time your in Flagstaff.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Picking out a hotel when you don't know the area at all is difficult. I had read all the reviews and chose the Hilton, which was a good choice. They have a shuttle from the airport which is convenient. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. I only spent one night but this was the quietest hotel I have ever been in. The room was clean and comfortable. I will definitely stay there when I return to hike the Canyon again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your business and your really high praise! Again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Paget Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice hotel; nothing big. The staff are so friendly (all the people in Flagstaff are friendly for that matter) and helpful. There is a microwave and fridge in the room. Nice part about it they have buffet breakfast for $9 bucks and some change. There is also a washer and dryer on the property $1.00 each to use. Plenty of restaurants near by (Coco's next door - super place to eat and lovely looking desserts) and about a 1/2 hour walk to the city of Flagstaff where they have some nice shops. Interesting little town; would visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HiltonFlagstaffAZ, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Catherine987:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your kind words and your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reading
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are very glad we booked this hotel in Flagstaff - which was quite a last-minute decision. Although the hotel is a Hilton Garden, it feels like an owner-run hotel - you are made to feel like a welcome guest rather than a paying customer. We were greeted at the front desk with complimentary bottles of water after our drive (a nice touch as we were both quite thirsty), and the manager gave us a map of the town, and made some suggestions for dining, as well as the best routes to take.

Our room was comfortable and clean. The pool and hot tub were pleasant - although it was very pleasant weather when we were there, I can imagine it would be great to sit in the hot tub in winter and be able to look out of the window at the winter scene outside!

The breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful and good value at $10.

Overall - a highly recommended hotel - a hotel that is made by its friendly, professional staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DeltaSeven:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We truly apreciate your kind words and your business and hope to see you again soon.