“my experience”

Hampton Inn & Suites Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Spent 2 nights at Hampton Inn while I was on business. I enjoyed my stay despite the lobby renovation. The voucher to receive free breakfast & lunch voucher made up for my inconvenience from the renovation. The hotel was quiet, even had the exercise room & sauna to myself morning and evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank darlene j
Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

When I was leaving the hotel I stopped at the front desk and talked with the young lady attendant. Informed her that I was not told about the remodel at the time of reservation but the day before I saw the email from a STAFF member (that's probably why it was in my junk mail folder) that informed me of the remodel. I didn't want to make changes so left it alone. I informed her that the iron did not heat enough, the foldout bed seemed as if it wasn't made so I put another set of sheets on it. I also informed her that there was no one at the breakfast to inform that there was only one omelet in the pan and never filled and never saw an attendant during the time the 3 of us were having breakfast. She did apologize. I asked for the manager and he/she was not there. I asked her to have the manager contact me to discuss my experience. Never heard from the manager. While filling out this survey last night (about 24hrs ago), I found out from one of the questions regarding Hampton Inns 100% satisfaction. I stopped filling out the survey and decided to call the Hotel and talk with the manager to see if they could redeem themselves and try to make me "satisfied". Manager was not there--understandable since it was 9 or 10pm. I left my name and number with the gentleman on the phone. Did not hear from the manager. So here is my review.I had stayed at this location in the past without problems with good service. This time it was disappointing and the worse part is that my wife and I had a friend visiting from another country on vacation with us.

2  Thank Eddocphx1
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just spent the weekend with my daughter's family to celebrate her birthday. We love the joining rooms, wonderful Hot Chocolate any time of day, warm fireplace, great hot breakfast each morning and fabulous beds. Found out the beds are so great that Hilton is going to replace all beds in their hotels with Hampton beds. Staff was wonderful. And when we came back from the Lowell Observatory the Hot Chocolate was ready with the warm fire and great pool with a warm spa. So glad as the temp outside was 7 degrees. The next day they gave us the perfect directions to the sledding places and that night my granddaughter's team from Gilbert Polar Ice beat the Flagstaff hockey team. Great place for family fun.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for adjoining rooms. The staff is very helpful...
1  Thank pskjak
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights - one was New Year's Eve. I didn't have high expectations due to reading these reviews and being a frequent visitor of Little America. This was an unusual stay because a lot of problems occurred. Here a summary of how the hotel staff professionally handled each problem and made our stay exceptional:

- We arrived super-early and they let us check in
- My son spilled milk all over one of the beds, they took a while but changed all of the bedding
- Our shower head was broken, I reported it first thing in the AM and it was fixed by the time we got back from breakfast
- Our neighbors' children would not stop screaming after 2am (not infants, these kids were at least 9+ years old and obviously their parents left them alone in the room while they were out). Hotel management discreetly and quickly quieted them down after one call.

This hotel gets 5 stars for service! I highly recommend staying here.

1  Thank mydogconan
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel only a week or so in advance - decided to make Flagstaff our base for the drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon rather than Williams where I'd had reservations for longer (but which I decided to cancel). So since I was so late, this was the only hotel in its class available. After reading the mixed reviews, I was a bit hesitant to book but had no real options. Also, we were there for two nights between Christmas and New Years which is apparently a busy time in Flagstaff. (We drove over from Albuquerque, stopped in Flagstaff, drove up to do a day at the Grand Canyon and then drove down to Phoenix), and I considered the rate quite high - even with a AAA discount at this type of hotel (therefore the lower rating on value). However, we were otherwise quite pleased. The hotel is a bit older but well maintained and not the least bit offensive. Appeared to be new woven (high traffic appropriate) in halls and rooms. No mildew in bayhroom or stainage elsewhere. Small flat screen tv in room with multiple channels. The small lobby was cozy and there were warm chocolate chip cookies available for my girls (score!!) The front desk staff was friendly, knowledgeable about the area and efficient. The hotel is super well located with so many conveniences within a mile. My girls absolutely adored the indoor heated pool and hot tub, and although they were crowded as the hotel was sold out, there were still chairs and plenty of towels available. Wireless was seamless and fast, beds were comfy and although our room was on the road side of hotel (vs parking lot side), I did not experience the horrible noise other reviewers reference. (We were on the 4th floor, closer to the parkway). Also as others mention, the parking lot is small for a property of this size and does overflow into the fast food restaurant next door. Breakfast was crowded but there was plenty (and we ate around 9 am both days - runs from 6-10 am) including make your own waffles, small omelettes and potatoes and bottomless urns of coffee (also available with tea and hot chocolate all day long - a real treat). There was a slight wait for a table but they opened an overflow room w folding tables in an attempt to combat. It snowed and was quite cold and icy while we were there, but there was staff outside shovelling and sanding and even helping people clear off their cars. All in all - a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank emcfish
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stay at Hampton Inn's all over the country... and they have finally given me a "less than 100%" experience.

I have been so pleased with Hampton over the years I even got the Hilton HHonors linked credit card.

This Hampton was different... it was AWFUL!

First problem, they (along with every other Flagstaff hotel I have stayed at) SPRAYED THE ROOM WITH WAY TOO MUCH TOXIC CHEMICAL "Freshener".

Not only did they spray the room with this "freshener" that I am highly allergic to... they sprayed the bed with it... INSTEAD OF PUTTING ON A FRESH DUVET COVER.

I woke up an hour after I fell asleep with a splitting headache, swelling eyes, burning lungs, and a very long black hair that was not mine in my mouth.

I felt totally violated and very not at home.

PLUS the place was filled to the brim with children who were not very well behaved.

the next morning I tried to go to "breakfast" at the very reasonable hour of 6:30 am only to find that the whole thing had been picked clean and was not being restocked, we had to go out to eat after several tries, there were just way too many family's pushing and shoving over food.

This is the third time we have tried to stay in Flagstaff, and even the number one hotel smells like cheap caustic pineapple air "freshener".... they have banned smoking, but still allow the hotels to spray petroleum based air "cleaners" that actually dirty the air. All the hotels in Flagstaff are horrid... almost as bad as the hotels in Grand Junction, Co... ALMOST.

I won't stay in a hotel in Flagstaff again... they cater too much to people with children, and the properties are in bad shape.

Room Tip: Stay in Laughlin Nevada, just three hours away... Unless you have children... then this is the perfe...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikethebunny
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I traveled to Flagstaff in order to attend my niece's graduation from NAU. The location was convenient. Japheth, the front desk attendant, was very helpful with check in and answered my questions. The complimentary breakfast and all day/night coffee bar was nice along with the indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. It was quiet as well which I appreciated.

All staff members we came in contact with were super friendly and genuine. Seemed like they enjoyed working there which made me feel right at home. It snowed all day Saturday, so I stayed inside - catching up on some work, enjoying he pool, and watching TV. There were a couple restaurants within walking distance.

Ken dug my car out of the snow on Sunday. Really went the extra mile to help.

Next time I'm in Flagstaff, I will most definitely stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo