“Horrible experience, not a place I would stay again”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Flagstaff
Ranked #14 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our initial contact with the hotel staff the evening we checked in was not great. The front desk attendant was not helpful and was rude. He even accused me of being at the wrong hotel at check in. After a phone call, things were cleared up, but not great. He never apologized for being rude or anything. This just gave us a bad taste in our mouths. Once we got to the room, it was fine. The bed and shower was o.k. Nothing special. Very average. Ther carpet needs updating. The bed jiggled, the bathroom has very little counter space, and the counter that it did have was falling off. The hotel is near a railroad, and we could hear it. Thank goodness it didn't affect our sleep, since we had the fan on all night to block the outside noise. Breakfast was very good and well stocked. There was no fridge or microwave in the room. There was a microwave at breakfast, so you could re-heat your food if it was cold. We also were not impressed that we were never told we were going to be charged extra for having a baby with us. We used our own playpen, our own sheets, and she didn't even have a towel in the room for her -- no extra laundry for them to do. Plus, she didn't eat the breakfast. There really is no reason for this additional charge. There are so many other places to stay in Flagstaff. I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KurlyQ
Jesse B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am very sorry you had a bad experience with the hotel staff. I will share your review with our team so we can ensure this does not happen again. In addition I wanted to inform you that our hotel does not charge for children. Please feel to contact me anytime to discuss any billing concerns that could have been mistaken for an additional fee for your baby.

Jesse Benites
jesseb@dknhotels.com
928-526-1885

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I enjoyed the hotel and the staff was amazing. We stayed one night and then moved on. In that on night I used the SLOW business center, the okay pool and great hot tub and had a great breakfast. The rooms we great and clean. I had a great and needed sleep. The bathroom was also clean. Overall, it was an average hotel but a good experience.

Room Tip: I like high floors. This hotel has the same rooms and not really and views. If you want a better v...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Jesse B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Glad to hear you had a good experience with us. We love hearing that the staff, our team, was amazing. I am sorry to hear that you thought your stay was really average and nothing special. We strive to make every experience better than average and we will continue to push for perfection. Thank you for sharing this review!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Average at best. Business Center had very slow Internet access. Rooms were average, comfortable beds. Pool and hot tub were very nice though. Overall just average.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Jesse B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! I'm sorry to hear the business center was running slow for you. I followed up with this to ensure this isn't an ongoing issue. Unfortunately sometimes technology can be a little unreliable. Here at the Hampton Inn East Flagstaff our team strives to be above and beyond average and with reviews like yours we are able to keep improving. Thank you again!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was the least pleasant Hampton Inn I've ever stayed in. It wasn't horrible or anything, but it wasn't that nice, either. We didn't book ahead of time and had to choose between a queen bed or a king smoking room. We chose the non-smoking queen room, but it still smelled a bit like smoke to me. Also, the window didn't fully latch and we couldn't lock it. I wouldn't have really cared, except we were on the ground floor. We didn't stay for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Jesse B, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay here. Summer is our peak season here in Flagstaff and finding available rooms can be tricky. Thank you for informing us of your window not locking. Our engineer has been assigned to check the function of all window locks at the property, especially the first floor. By sharing your comments, you help us continually improve. Thank you!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We needed a place to stay on our way to the Grand Canyon, this seemed like a good choice since the Hampton Inns we have stayed in recently have been great. The staff was very nice, checcking in on us after we checked in, but it was noisy during the night with the trains that came through, also highway noise. That is my only complaint. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for sharing your review with us! Glad to hear the team was helpful. I am sorry about the noise you heard during your stay. Unfortunately exterior noise can hurt the overall experiance. I hope the noise won't turn you away from future visits, we would love to have you back!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Traveling across country is hard enough, it was a real pleasure to stop and actually relax for the evening. Upon checking in, we were greeted by smiling faces and a super friendly front desk staff. The beds and bathrooms were very clean and new. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the Flaggstaff area!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Traveling across country can really be tough. I am very happy that we could be a relaxing stop along the way. Here at the Hampton it is our goal to create a home away from home experience. Thank you for sharing your review. Hope the rest of your trip went well!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

She went above and beyond by helping us get into a Suite. Friendly people, great Inn!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank debi g
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you so much for a great review. Yoshira is a excellent team member and I will be sure to share this with her along with the rest of our team. Reveiws like these really help pull the team together. Thanks again!